OK to "Permit" OC

This is a discussion on OK to "Permit" OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I don't normally peruse the HufPo, but I did run across this today. It appears that OK is attempting to require a permit to ...

Thread: OK to "Permit" OC

VIP Member

OK to "Permit" OC

OK, I don't normally peruse the HufPo, but I did run across this today. It appears that OK is attempting to require a permit to OC in the state. My question to the OK crowd here is, is this a movement from no OC to OC with a permit or from unregulated OC to OC requires a permit?

Oklahoma House Approves Open Carry Gun Bill
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Well I know the Gov will sign it if it passes, so hopefully it will. It passed both the House and Senate last time with veto-proof majorities, but the Gov at the time vetoed it and when it went back to the House, some Reps changed their votes and it died.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    OK, I don't normally peruse the HufPo, but I did run across this today. It appears that OK is attempting to require a permit to OC in the state. My question to the OK crowd here is, is this a movement from no OC to OC with a permit or from unregulated OC to OC requires a permit?

Oklahoma House Approves Open Carry Gun Bill
    This is a change from no OC to OC with a permit. IIRC, Oklahoma (before CCW in 1995) did not have a law against open carry but now do.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

From what I can find on opencarry.org; open carry in OK at this time is illegal so open carry with a permit is a step forward.

However this does bother me
    The new bill includes an additional provision that allows police officers to ask anyone openly carrying a firearm to produce a permit.
    Seems to be an attempt to void on the state level SCOUS rulings on RAS. But once you require "permits" I guess you intend to subject your subjects to "You vill show your permit papers".

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    From what I can find on opencarry.org; open carry in OK at this time is illegal so open carry with a permit is a step forward.

Seems to be an attempt to void on the state level SCOUS rulings on RAS. But once you require "permits" I guess you intend to subject your subjects to "You vill show your permit papers".
    Same thing as requiring that you are able to produce a DL while driving a car. Not that I'm advocating it, but like you said once you require a permit. Heck in NC I would not have to show ID if stopped simply for OC'ing. I might want to make sure my afternoon is free, but we are permitless OC and not a stop and ID state. So it would not be against the law. We all know how that would likely end, regardless.

If this is a step forward, then good for OK.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post

Baby steps, gentlemen, baby steps. Sometimes we get a hit out of the park (e.g. WI CCW), sometimes we get something small. That's ok, as long as we're winning and the gun control types are not.

Good luck OK, I'm rooting for you!

According to my reading of the law, it'll also reduce a couple of the penalties for certain actions. Other than that, the only thing it does is add "or unconcealed" to every place that says concealed, or removes concealed entirely when it won't leave something ambiguous. Also specifies that police will have the *right*, not duty to inspect a license if they see someone open carrying. We also still have to notify officers when meeting them under official circumstances like a traffic stop. So really it isn't clamping down on anything. People may argue about having to show a license if a cop asks them about an openly carried weapon, but to be honest it's a step in the right direction, however small a step it may be. Be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Seems like it wont happen, I believe that if the Ok Senate doesn't move on this by 15 March 2012, its off the table for this year. CAn anyone confirm?

Also, I received a canned email from Mary during elections, and it stated that she would support open carry, but I haven't read anything lately on her views for House Bill 2522 ......I 'll believe it's law when it's finally enacted.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    According to my reading of the law, it'll also reduce a couple of the penalties for certain actions. Other than that, the only thing it does is add "or unconcealed" to every place that says concealed, or removes concealed entirely when it won't leave something ambiguous. Also specifies that police will have the *right*, not duty to inspect a license if they see someone open carrying. We also still have to notify officers when meeting them under official circumstances like a traffic stop. So really it isn't clamping down on anything. People may argue about having to show a license if a cop asks them about an openly carried weapon, but to be honest it's a step in the right direction, however small a step it may be. Be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you.
    That's pretty much the way I understand it. The CCW permit would allow OC if it passes and everything I hear leads me to believe it will pass the Senate. One of my Lodge buddies is in the Senate and I'll try to remember to ask him more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    Baby steps, gentlemen, baby steps. Sometimes we get a hit out of the park (e.g. WI CCW), sometimes we get something small. That's ok, as long as we're winning...
    +1

It's always great to hit a home run the first time we're up to bat, but in reality it's those base hits that usually add up for the team and finally win the game.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

It appears there are two bills. One from the House and one from the Senate. Both are essentially the same.

HB2522
    SB1733
    My blog

Go OK...congrats!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

good luck and congrats OK. Just remember all things take time. LEO's might have the *right* to ask for permit, but over time, I'm sure that every LEO you see will not be running over to ask for your "papers". congratulations, and remember its not just your state who wins/won, its all Pro2A.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Still waiting on bills to get moving. Both bills have passed their respective sides of the state legislature. HB 2522 has been endorsed by the Senate public safety committee as a "Do pass" and sent to the floor. That was as of the 29th of March. The Senate bill passed 34-9 and the House bill passed 85-9, so really the bill should make it through. It's just a matter of taking the time to do it.

Update:

coauthored by Shortey, Sykes 04/03/2012

Attached now is the amendment made by the Senate adjusting open carry conditions.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paaiyan; April 3rd, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
    My blog

Links