I OC'ed all day today. - Page 2

I OC'ed all day today.

This is a discussion on I OC'ed all day today. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He said he is in NC OC'ing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I OC'ed all day today.

He said he is in NC OC'ing

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Now wait a minute.. Your profile says you live in Florida. But I didn't think OC was legal there. Is it?
    He's in NC ....... However to answer your question Florida has "limited" Open Carry. FS 790.25(3)
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I OC sometimes if the mood strikes me. My XDM is ideal to hide under a shirt or coat but if I want to tuck my shirt in its obvious, even with a tuckable holster. Pocket pistols don't fit well in my hand. OCing makes me feel a little self conscious, but it's also entertaining. You can usually tell the moment someone notices the gun on your hip.

While I'm obviously pro 2A, I'm not a big fan of OC. Simply from the standpoint that if a BG is going to fire off at people, it seems to me OC would make you the first target. What do you oC guys think about that aspect? Obviously, some paranoia involved, just curious to how y'all feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maso View Post
    While I'm obviously pro 2A, I'm not a big fan of OC. Simply from the standpoint that if a BG is going to fire off at people, it seems to me OC would make you the first target. What do you oC guys think about that aspect? Obviously, some paranoia involved, just curious to how y'all feel.
    Thats been hashed around many times here. While it may be a consideration, I think there are more important and very real unintended consequences of OC. However, each one must make their own decisions, and live with it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

^ This!

I don't think its paranoia at all. I think most CPL holders carry because they like to be the more prepared for any situation. As you pointed out, I agree that CC is MORE prepared than OC, because you maintain the element of surprise.

I guess the counter argument is that OC could possibly avoid confrontation because BG's like to prey on the easiest target. Which I don't necessarily disagree with, but I just personally feel that because of the extremely low chance of needing to draw your weapon anyway - the benefits of CC outweigh the potential hassle OC presents.

Just my opinion
    MleeC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thats been hashed around many times here. While it may be a consideration, I think there are more important and very real unintended consequences of OC. However, each one must make their own decisions, and live with it.
    Do you mind sharing what you think? I can't come up with much past the target issue. Stuck on it too much I suppose.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

There are really NO statistics to back up the first target scenario. Has never happened the we are aware of. If you can find a case where the open carrier was "shot first" please link in this thread. Most OC'ers are of the "deterent" mind frame. Hard target vs. soft target. The element of surprise is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. Also figure in the fact that your draw while concealed is considerably slower than that of an oc. Especially in a stress situation.

Surprise is an advantage but I feel deterance is also a factor just as important.

Unintended conequences may include a friction rash on your arm as it drags across your pistol as you are walking. My 1911 left marks from the hammer until I shortly figured out how to swing my arms just a little differently.

Do you mind sharing what you think? I can't come up with much past the target issue. Stuck on it too much I suppose.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk
    An example which is first hand info; guy I knew was OCing, had a disput with another guy over a parking issue and light damage to their vehicles from a bump to the fender. When they got out to check cars, the fact that this fellow was OCing became an issue to the other guy, who told police that the OCer threatened to shoot him.

Even though it never happened, when your weapon is exposed, it becomes a factor in the situation, irregardless of whether you want it to be or not. When dealing with people who do not respond to reason or rational thought, it can muddy the water.

It caused a bigger situation than was necessary, and left the OCer to explain things to the police in defense of himself that otherwise would not have ever been an issue.

The problem with the OC community is not the wearing of the weapon in the open, for that is certainly their right. It is the vehemently denial that situation like this are a very real, if not probable reality when dealing with the public in general. They only want you to see their side as a justification for exercising their rights, while never acknowledging the realities of the world and it's people that we interact with.

Where it's legal, it is absolutely in your right to OC. Just understand that there are real everyday problems that can accompany it, regardless of what people WANT you to believe.
    carracer, Bark'n and ppkheat like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Can't open carry in Texas but have always wanted to try it...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I try to live the grey man principle, but It's simply a personal preference.

I have no problem with those who open carry. In fact, I think society as a whole should learn to become more comfortable seeing people who carry guns for defense. I think we'd all be a lot better off.

An armed society is definitely a more polite society. And more importantly, a free society.
    carracer and bordercop like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I only OC when back home in TN or another OC state, and even then I only OC 5-10% of the time. It is nice just having the option to do so. I wish we had the option here in Florida.
    We do. Just be sure you're going to and from fishing, hunting, camping or the range at all times. We really don't need anything else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Yep, I did it. Now, I've been one of those critics for OC on numerous threads and I really do believe CC is a much better option. I like low profile, no notice, no bubbles, no troubles. Today, we decided for a little range fun here in NC, and since I never go to the outdoor public range without a carry piece on my hip, I decided to OWB my G23 with a jacket. We had fun, shot up our frozen water bottles, shot the 10/22 for an hour pegging dead shotgun shells at 50 yds, rang the gong a few dozen times at 150 yds. with the AR, blew through 300 rounds of 9mm with my KT Sub2000/30 rd mags (vetting my summer trip carry rifle), shot the big Smith wheelie as well as my Smith and Glock 9 semi's, and let my wife discover she doesn't like the Smith j-frame nearly as much as a nice little 9 semi. When we left the range, I left the piece OWB on my hip and we went to lunch. There were three LEO's in the restaurant where we ate. They did give me a look when we walked in, but that was it. I didn't flaunt it, and I sat where my strong side was inboard at the booth (Bogart's in Sylva, NC is a fine restaurant). No hassles. It reminded me of the first time I CC'ed except now I was sure everyone could see it. We left and did some shopping at the Walmart and the hardware store. I did notice some looks, but I really didn't care after bypassing the law at lunch. My conclusion: I'd rather have it hidden. No offense to you hardcore OC'ers. I'm just not interested in advertising anything to anyone. The less you know about me, the better off I am. I'm not posting this to raise the rabble, just expressing my OC experience today. I'd probably do it again, but I have trouble finding good reasons to justify it.
    I'm amazed that criminals didn't target you, since you gave up your tactical advantage. LOL. Seriously, though, that's how it is to open carry most days, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    An example which is first hand info; guy I knew was OCing, had a disput with another guy over a parking issue and light damage to their vehicles from a bump to the fender. When they got out to check cars, the fact that this fellow was OCing became an issue to the other guy, who told police that the OCer threatened to shoot him.

Even though it never happened, when your weapon is exposed, it becomes a factor in the situation, irregardless of whether you want it to be or not. When dealing with people who do not respond to reason or rational thought, it can muddy the water.
    What was the outcome of this situation you speak of?

I OC'd after a bump up till the officer showed up. He disarmed me for the duration of the stop, complimented me on my choice of handgun (G19), and talked general gun stuff with me and the guy that hit me. Lots of variables in any situation. The gun is just one.

Speaking for myself Gman, I understand and accept the possibility of negative interactions and OC anyway. The fact that I've had so few negative encounters in NC just reinforces why I don't worry too much about it. I'm not one to look for it. I just know that I'm on the right side of the issue, so I do it anyway. Most OC'rs know it's a possibility, some just react very differently when it does happen. Most situations are not video taped or recorded, and they are settled later via emails and phone calls if it's a business. Occasionally they are settled by LE, some correctly, some not so much.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links