Yankeejib inspired me... I Also OC'ed All Day Today

This is a discussion on Yankeejib inspired me... I Also OC'ed All Day Today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading Yankeejib's thread, I decided I needed to man up and try OC too. I have CCed for over 5 years, but have never ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey

Thread: Yankeejib inspired me... I Also OC'ed All Day Today

Yankeejib inspired me... I Also OC'ed All Day Today

After reading Yankeejib's thread, I decided I needed to man up and try OC too. I have CCed for over 5 years, but have never tried OC. It was a mixed experience. I felt like EVERBODY was staring at me (some people were, but most people didn't). It was almost like the first time I CCed; I was nervous, and was certain that the police were going to show up and try to arrest me.

For the most part, it was very liberating, except at the grocery store. Several people either changed directions in the aisle, or hustled past me. A lot of people didn't notice, but some of the ones who did seemed uncomfortable, ESPECIALLY the cashier! After she saw my gun, she wouldn't make eye contact with me, and seemed VERY nervous. it was the fastest checkout I've had EVER!

When I took my trash to the township building, an LEO was standing outside, saw me carrying, and didn't seem to be in the least bit interested (they are stationed out of the township building).

I also ran into one of my students and his dad. They thought it was pretty awesome that I was walking around with a gun on my hip.

All-in-all, it was a positive experience. I would do it again, and in fact probably will. Plus, it was much more comfortable carrying OWB, instead of IWB or pocket carrying.
    MisterAvis likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    After reading Yankeejib's thread, I decided I needed to man up and try OC too. I have CCed for over 5 years, but have never tried OC. It was a mixed experience. I felt like EVERBODY was staring at me (some people were, but most people didn't). It was almost like the first time I CCed; I was nervous, and was certain that the police were going to show up and try to arrest me.

For the most part, it was very liberating, except at the grocery store. Several people either changed directions in the aisle, or hustled past me. A lot of people didn't notice, but some of the ones who did seemed uncomfortable, ESPECIALLY the cashier! After she saw my gun, she wouldn't make eye contact with me, and seemed VERY nervous. it was the fastest checkout I've had EVER!

When I took my trash to the township building, an LEO was standing outside, saw me carrying, and didn't seem to be in the least bit interested (they are stationed out of the township building).

I also ran into one of my students and his dad. They thought it was pretty awesome that I was walking around with a gun on my hip.

All-in-all, it was a positive experience. I would do it again, and in fact probably will. Plus, it was much more comfortable carrying OWB, instead of IWB or pocket carrying.
    Like burning your bra right??? J/king....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Like burning your bra right??? J/king....
    Lol! yeah, or my IWB holster... kind of like a bra, I guess; it offers support for my gun.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Generally uneventful, as it should be.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Glad to hear that all went well.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I just returned from a 3 hour outing with the wife and kids. The wife and I were both OC. Be got a stare at Wallyworld, a dirty look at Menards and at Cracker Barrel the CCer at the next table noticed us and started talking to his buddy about OC v CC. Over all it was uneventful, as it should be. I've been testing the waters with OC lately because it is so much more comfortable to wear my blackhawk than my IWB and I have absolutely no interest in pocket carry (just personal preference). I'm finding that as the self consciousness goes away most people don't notice and out of the ones that do, most don't care.

Glad to hear it was a great OC day! I believe Cracker Barrel corporate policy is no carry of any kind, so, don't be surprised if you are asked to leave sometime. And, if so, please respect their private property rights and leave without arguing the point. The more we show that we are really not an in your face group, but just regular guys the more it ill be accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Glad to hear it was a great OC day! I believe Cracker Barrel corporate policy is no carry of any kind, so, don't be surprised if you are asked to leave sometime. And, if so, please respect their private property rights and leave without arguing the point. The more we show that we are really not an in your face group, but just regular guys the more it ill be accepted.
    Agreed. I hate it when people hurt the 2A cause by being "in your face." I will just not patronize Cracker Barrel (which is sad, because they have great food).

Yep. Way more comfortable. Particularly if you prefer to carry a larger handgun. To my comment to Yankee's post... try it in a nearby town. You may get a much more positive response. Or... less negative. (Not that it was bad... but I've noticed more sketchy people in other towns around here... I'm glad to be where I am. The people are pretty awesome.) Happy you had a good experience.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Please do some research before you decide as I would hate to hand out incorrect information.

I know some folks OC'ing have been asked to leave some Cracker Barrels. And I know the local ones I have been to are not posted. So, I'm not sure if it's corporate or just some managers. If there is any official word, I must have missed it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

My wife works at the Cracker Barrel we were OCing at. Her co-workers and managers all know she carries when she's not working. We've been in there a few times openly armed and even had conversations with the management. At that particular one they don't seem to mind.

Administrator
    You do realize that in Pittsburgh if anybody calls 911 and makes a MWAG (Man With A Gun) call on you...you are going to be in for an interesting experience.

Pennsylvania law is silent on Open Carry so Open Carry is OK because it is not expressly prohibited according to the state.

But, The Catch 22 is that Pittsburgh Police are required by PGH. City Law to respond and treat all 911 MWAG calls as if there is a reported armed threat to the public safety.

So if somebody "drops the 911 dime on you" expect PGH. S.W.A.T. to be rolling up on you and be prepared for a disarm until you get sorted out.

I am not being judgmental or stating a "Yea" or a "Nay" on Open Carry but, I am just letting you know what the reality is in PGH, PA.

So...in Pittsburgh ~ you are fine as long as those "nervous people" stay off of their cell phones.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the heads up! I live in the suburbs, but I am assuming I may get the same treatment there.

I'm still deciding if it is worth the hassle, especially since a lot of the information I am reading about open carry recommends that I ALWAYS have an audio recorder on me at all times. Seems a bit burdensome, but it was an enjoyable experience, and I probably will do it again occasionally.

Links