Open carry in Louisiana. - Page 2

Open carry in Louisiana.

This is a discussion on Open carry in Louisiana. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nobody asked what anyone thought of open carry itself - just if it was legal....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Open carry in Louisiana.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Nobody asked what anyone thought of open carry itself - just if it was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nobody asked what anyone thought of open carry itself - just if it was legal.
    Ever been there? I have the misfortune to travel there for a few days every few weeks. Try OC'ing in Jefferson Parrish and see what happens. My post was relevant to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Future11 View Post
    or not having bullets in the clip?
    Since no one has done this yet:

It's not a clip! It's a magazine. A clip is something totally different.

Carry on.
    SigIsTheAnswer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Ever been there? I have the misfortune to travel there for a few days every few weeks. Try OC'ing in Jefferson Parrish and see what happens. My post was relevant to the thread.
    Agreed, my post wasn't directed toward you, just the OC haters. I have a friend who I talk with daily who lives there, never been myself.

never been myself.
    Save yourself the time. You aren't missing anything.

Wish we could all just agree to disagree about OC and CC. I don't OC, don't really see an "advantage" but that is no reason to trash my OC'ing brethren (I'm trying to do better at that as I have come off that way in the past)

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    You would be surprised at how many people are NOT scared by open carry.
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised. You said Idaho, right?

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Perhaps people in Idaho are just not as scared of firearms as Texans.
    Probably not. Texas has every bit as many cowboys as Idaho and then some. But it also has legions of transplanted Yankees and Midwesterners of all stripes with every level of gun-acclimation known to man so you're likely to come across somebody in a crowded mall fairly quickly who'll freak at that 1911 hanging off your belt.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

don't really see an "advantage"
    Here's one, it could decrease your chances of needing your firearm by up to 60%:
    60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed.
    40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.

Check out the Gun Facts guide available at Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, especially the section on deterrence at pages 10-11.

Here's one, it could decrease your chances of needing your firearm by up to 60%:
    I suppose we have strayed way off topic so I'll stop. But I agree it is "plausible" a felon may choose to pass me by if they see me wearing my pistol openly.

Save yourself the time. You aren't missing anything.

Wish we could all just agree to disagree about OC and CC. I don't OC, don't really see an "advantage" but that is no reason to trash my OC'ing brethren (I'm trying to do better at that as I have come off that way in the past)
    Maybe we can agree to disagree about New Orleans too. The wife and I go often, not because we have to, because we want to. WWII museum, aquarium, zoo, great food, Jazz fest, French Quarter Fest, amazing people watching, etc. I much prefer small town living, but N.O. is a fine city. Lots of character. Crime is like any other large city. If you don't know the city you have to be careful where you go.
    As far as OC, I never have. I have heard of some people having problems with NOPD when carrying(OC&CC), but no first hand problems.
    ppkheat, oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwsonar View Post
    Maybe we can agree to disagree about New Orleans too. The wife and I go often, not because we have to, because we want to. WWII museum, aquarium, zoo, great food, Jazz fest, French Quarter Fest, amazing people watching, etc. I much prefer small town living, but N.O. is a fine city. Lots of character. Crime is like any other large city. If you don't know the city you have to be careful where you go.
    As far as OC, I never have. I have heard of some people having problems with NOPD when carrying(OC&CC), but no first hand problems.
    Yea, I totally disagree. New Orleans is a toilet bowl.
    oldman45 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsonar View Post
    With 60 years of experience living here, I agree. I've lived here all my life, and I've visited plenty of other states. This is home, I like it here, raised my family here, they like it and live here too, we have had a great time. Many people love going to New Orleans and that includes us, sure it has its bad places and criminal type and most big cities do, from what I've seen there are toilet areas in every state.

Back on topic, as I understand it, it is not illegal to OC here, in NO you'll probably attract the NOPD. The OC group I previously mentioned are really good proponents of OC and are helping educate anyone, especially the leo's.
    Last edited by ppkheat; June 1st, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thumbs up Open Carry In Louisiana IS legal....

Yes open carry in Louisiana IS legal. See LA RS 14.95.1 & 14.18 through 14.22 here are some reliable references to explain.

Louisiana State Police - Concealed Handgun Permit Unit

LOCAL - Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League - FAQ

Open Carry in Louisiana | Signal 108

I am a NRA Certified, LA state police registered CCW instructor (LSP #846)

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz275 View Post
    Hey y'all,

Here is a question? Is it legal to open carry in Louisiana? Opencarry.org says it is, but my cc instructor told me it is not. Can someone make sense of this for me?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I grew up in NW Louisiana and did not see people open carrying unless they were actively hunting and even then, it was more likely to be a rifle or shotgun. I know that it is perfectly legal, but back then, people just didn't do it. Now, looking back, I would not be surprised if some of them were concealed carrying (even though it wasn't legal at the time). Many of the rural folks were fiercely independent and didn't much cotton to the government telling them what they could or could not do. I suspect that I was in my 20s before I heard that there were some places where it was supposedly illegal to carry a firearm (concealed or otherwise). The idea that such a place might exist was totally alien to me. Back then, we were able to have a shotgun or rifle in the gun rack in the rear window of our pickup and we didn't have to worry about someone stealing it even if we left the doors unlocked. It was common during hunting season for students to have a rifle or shotgun in their car or truck for going hunting after school and we never had any school shootings. These days with the zero-tolerance excrement around here in Texas, a student will get suspended for even a small pocket knife. Last I heard, the rule at the high school I attended back in Louisiana was that the knife had to be less than a certain number of inches, but I don't remember any such limitation back in my day.
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

Yea, I totally disagree. New Orleans is a toilet bowl.
    I would have to say that the French Quarter during Mardi Gras is *literally* a toilet bowl (or more properly just a urinal). There's a lot of beer being consumed and it has to go *somewhere*. I remember seeing a Porta-Potty that was so full that it was overflowing and draining across the sidewalk onto the street. And of course, the lines for the Porta-Potties are sometimes so long (because there are not enough of them) that guys will just go into an alley and pee there instead. As such, I would highly suggest that someone NOT step in any puddles in the streets in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras since that puddle might not just be water. :)

Like with all cities, there are good sections and bad sections. I've worked in New Orleans on a Navy project (lived in Kenner initially and after 6 months moved to Slidell). The interesting thing about New Orleans is that instead of good and bad sections of town, you have good and bad *blocks*. You'll have million dollar mansions a few blocks away from "The Projects". Now, having said that, I've never encountered a situation while I was there that I felt compromised my security, but that might have something to do with my situational awareness and the fact that I look a bit more intimidating than my numerous sports and motorcycle injuries would indicate if they knew about them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Not only is it legal to Open Carry in Louisiana but La Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) has been telling everyone about it since 2009. Feel free to drop by one of the many meetings we schedule every month across the state. We post meeting announcements on out website, on our Facebook wall, on out Twitter account, on our discussion forum and even here at Defensive Carry in threads like this one-> LOCAL Meetings for March 2014
    gatorbait51 and FTG-05 like this.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links