Open carry in Louisiana.

Open carry in Louisiana.

This is a discussion on Open carry in Louisiana. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all, Here is a question? Is it legal to open carry in Louisiana? Opencarry.org says it is, but my cc instructor told me it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Open carry in Louisiana.

Open carry in Louisiana.

Hey y'all,

Here is a question? Is it legal to open carry in Louisiana? Opencarry.org says it is, but my cc instructor told me it is not. Can someone make sense of this for me?

NRA Member
    Gen4 G23

It is..........

VIP Member
    There is a pro OC group in Louisiana called LOCAL. Worth googling and checking them out. OC is not illegal here, though you might get harassed, the LOCAL group works hard to overcome that situation. I don't know their website but it should be easy to google. Also, more info can be found at bayou shooter.com
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Like 28 other state, LA has no laws expressly permitting or prohibiting OC.
    Eight states and DC restrict OC. Thirteen states (including HI) regulate OC. Looks like OK is going from one of the 29 with no laws to be a fourteenth to regulate.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Open carry brings it's own set of problems and me personally am against it. Here in Texas we can carry concealed just about everywhere. Open carry often scares people and businesses would start posting 30.06 signs to restrict it. Just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by Prowlforfowl View Post
    Open carry brings it's own set of problems and me personally am against it. Here in Texas we can carry concealed just about everywhere. Open carry often scares people and businesses would start posting 30.06 signs to restrict it. Just my two cents
    Would those business' also post if they knew you were cc'ing? If so, why would you shop there anyway?

You would be surprised at how many people are NOT scared by open carry. Have no problems here in Idaho. No one runs screaming when I go out for dinner, to the Western Idaho Fair, to the horse races.
    Perhaps people in Idaho are just not as scared of firearms as Texans.
    Recon1342 and Zralou like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prowlforfowl View Post
    Open carry is illegal in Texas...not that Texas has anything whatsoever to do with this conversation.

Yes, carry away in LA. No permit is necessary to OC there.
    Aceoky likes this.

LOCAL stands for Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League and our website can be found at LOCAL - Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League. We are also on Facebook and Twitter. Monthly business meetings are held in LaLace (near New Orleans) and Shreveport on the first Wednesday of the month.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Don't forget that tonight is meeting night.
    There's the regular business meeting in LaPlace as well as a meetup in Shreveport as members there try to get to know each other and organize. LOCAL is growing and you can be a part of a group dedicated to educating others about our rights and supporting those rights.
    We've had some bad weather lately so it's a good time to get out of the house. Grab up the wife and kids and head to the IHOPs for some social time with your fellow Open Carry advocates.
    Steve
    President/Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Open Carry

Ok I know i can openly carry my firearm in Louisiana but I've seen somethings about it not being loaded, does that mean not having a bullet in the chamber? or not having bullets in the clip? because i dont wanna carry a firearm with no rounds what's the point? Does anyone know which one it is?

Hi I know its legal for me to open carry my firearm in louisiana but can i have it loaded? not a round in the chamber but in the mag, and if so what about a revolver?

As long as you are at least 18 years old (state law is 17, but federal law trumps it) and can legally own a firearm, you can open carry in Louisiana. And yes, the gun may be loaded. Make sure you read the laws to know where you cannot carry. Mostly same as concealed carry. Remember that if you have not received your concealed carry license, don't let your shirt or coat cover your weapon and conceal it or you could be charged with carrying concealed without a license.

I wouldn't open carry in New Orleans if I were you. Not so much because of the police harassment, but because their are enough nuts down there, you have a high chance someone tries to steal it from you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links