Open carry.....at the Post Office????? - Page 2

Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

This is a discussion on Open carry.....at the Post Office????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by radshooter Dressed like most of the locals....ball cap, cowboy shirt, jeans and boots. Oh.....and a Glock. He was more interested in texting ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    Dressed like most of the locals....ball cap, cowboy shirt, jeans and boots. Oh.....and a Glock.

He was more interested in texting on his phone than paying attention to his surroundings.
    I'm leaning toward idiot then.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

The answer is no we are not allowed to carry (open or concealed) in a post office per federal law.

Also keep in mind the federal government is the largest abuser of the 2nd amendment.

Of course the law really worked out in the many postal shootings in the past. Not!!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Here in NY we are not permitted to leave a firearm in a vehicle. The one time I spotted somebody carrying was inside a P.O He too was carrying a Glock just like mine.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Most likely a cop, although there no more special than us when it comes to Federal, you know the Post Office doesn't care either.

Not posted on the entry door. Posting inside on the wall.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

sgb
    So did the panic alarms go off? Postal employees start screaming in Panic? How long did it take for the SWAT team to show up?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Gforty likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by redwilson View Post
    Not only can you not carry in the Post Office, you cannot have a gun on the property (parking lot). At least here in Wisconsin.
    If you're mailing a firearm, it's legal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    If you're mailing a firearm, it's legal.
    Yes it needs to be packaged and have shipping label.

VIP Member
    I was told you have to have an FFL to mail to another FFL. You need to have your FFL on file with the USPS. They don't like to see any ammo. In federal bldgs, be sure you don't have in your pocket any firecrackers, cartridges, folding knives longer than 2 1/2", dangerous weapons. If there is a problem with service, let disgruntled postal workers handle it. My Postmaster told me if I see the flag at half staff it means they're hiring.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by redwilson View Post
    Not only can you not carry in the Post Office, you cannot have a gun on the property (parking lot). At least here in Wisconsin.
    I don't believe you are correct re parking lot.
    Your sig line says you are a retired detective so I am going to hold you to a higher standard in regards to knowing the law and ask you what statute tells me I cannot have a firearm in my car on post office property in WI? I have read ACT35 through several times and haven't seen a prohibition on post office parking lots or property other then the actual building...Sure I could have missed it but that's why I'm asking you to point it out to me.

Title 39 CFR 232.1

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.
    (2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

q) Enforcement. (1) Members of the U.S. Postal Service security force shall exercise the powers provided by 18 U.S.C. 3061(c)(2) and shall be responsible for enforcing the regulations in this section in a manner that will protect Postal Service property and persons thereon

Not inside, not outside, not in their parking lots.

From USPS Publication 52:

43 Firearms
    431 Definitions
    431.1 Firearm

A firearm is defined as any device (including a starter gun) that is designed, or may readily be converted, to expel a projectile by an explosion, a spring, or other mechanical action, or by air or gas pressure with sufficient force to be used as a weapon.
    431.2 Handgun

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (for example, short–barreled shotguns and short–barreled rifles) are defined as handguns. The following definitions apply:

Pistol or Revolver. A pistol or revolver is a handgun designed to be fired by the use of a single hand.
    Short–Barreled Rifle. A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches long is defined as a short–barreled rifle. This includes any weapon made from a rifle (by alteration or modification) resulting in an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    Short–Barreled Shotgun. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches long is defined as a short–barreled shotgun. This includes any weapon made from a shotgun (by alteration or modification) resulting in an overall length of less than 26 inches.

431.3 Antique Firearm

An antique firearm (including one with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) is any firearm manufactured in or before 1898, or a replica of such a firearm, that meets either of the following conditions:

It is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.
    It uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available through commercial trade channels.

431.4 Rifles and Shotguns

A rifle is a shoulder weapon having a barrel that is 16 inches or more in length. A shotgun is a shoulder weapon having a barrel that is 18 inches or more in length. Rifles and shotguns have an overall length of 26 inches or greater and cannot be concealed on a person.
    431.5 Licensed Manufacturer or Licensed Dealer

A manufacturer of firearms or a bona fide dealer in firearms is one duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), U.S. Department of the Treasury, under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

You better not use USPS to mail a firearm either, as an individual.

Here it is in English: http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Not inside, not outside, not in their parking lots.

From USPS Publication 52:

You better not use USPS to mail a firearm either, as an individual.

Here it is in English: Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail
    The exception is you can mail a firearm to the manufacture with US Post office That is a fact. If you ever return one for warranty they with provide you with a lable and you box it up turn it over . Ruger will even pay postage.

sgb
    432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The exception is you can mail a firearm to the manufacture with US Post office
    I did not know that. Interesting. Am I missing an exception in here:

432 Mailability
    432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
    Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
    Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
    Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
    Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
    Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.

Unloaded Rifle or Shotgun

Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

The mailer must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open the parcel or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered Mail service is recommended.

Unloaded Antique Firearm

Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are acceptable for mailing.

432.2 PS Form 1508

PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, must be completed by each firearm manufacturer or dealer who deposits firearms for mailing. The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.
    432.3 Packaging and Marking

No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8.
    I can't find "DMM 601.11.1." anywhere fast.............

Ahhhhhhh......here it is for your reading pleasure. I see no exception to which you refer. I am not saying it does not exist, I am just saying I would not rely on a third party (Ruger) to get it correct..........The Alternatives are too easy. Just have your FFL mail it.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm#1064962

I am sure some of our FFL's and/or dealers might pipe in here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links