Open carry.....at the Post Office????? - Page 3

Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

This is a discussion on Open carry.....at the Post Office????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HKinNY Here in NY we are not permitted to leave a firearm in a vehicle. How queer....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Here in NY we are not permitted to leave a firearm in a vehicle.
    How queer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    How queer.
    As posted above, this is Federal law, which applies in EVERY state.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    How queer.
    See below........

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Here in NY we are not permitted to leave a firearm in a vehicle.

You mean in the USPS Parking Lot, correct? Not in a more general sense, like the parking lot of a grocery store, or your driveway or locked in your garage, correct? There seems to be some confusion........

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    I'm not sure why everyone is so interested in carrying at the post office. As it has been said many times, it is a crime. Why would anyone want to poke the bear and risk federal charges?

Maybe I am reading some of the comments the wrong way, but it seems some are trying to figure out how to circumvent the law. I can just about guarantee you will lose.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I am sure some of our FFL's and/or dealers might pipe in here.
    I've been a manufacturer FFL since 2006.

FFLs may mail handguns. Non-FFLs may not. Non-FFLs may mail long guns only.

Furthermore, look at the first line in your quotation of code:

Title 39 CFR 232.1

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.
    Bringing a firearm to the post office and using their services to ship said firearm to a recipient is an official purpose. There's your exception to bringing firearms onto postal property.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yes it needs to be packaged and have shipping label.
    There is no requirement for that to be legal. It's common practice, but not required while entering postal property. Probably also a good idea in general. :)
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

There's your exception to bringing firearms onto postal property.
    But for a non-FFL or non-dealer ONLY long guns, correct? Based on:

FFLs may mail handguns. Non-FFLs may not. Non-FFLs may mail long guns only.
    Many of the prior posts (mine included) used the term "firearm" and did not distinguish between long guns and pistols. The way I read what you wrote, for a non-FFL or non-dealer there is a critical difference between long guns and pistols and one is illegal (pistols) and one is not (long guns). Is that correct? So, to make the distinction is critically important, is it not?

I'm used to stuff that is written strangely (the Internal Revenue Code), but that is strange...........I interpreted "official purposes" as a less inclusive phrase, such "he carried his gun for "official purposes" as a LEO"............

Just trying to understand the distinctions being made here. Thank you.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Title 39 CFR 232.1

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

I have never found a list of "Official Purposes". As far as I know one needs to go to the PO to check their PO Box. To me, checking your mail sounds like an "Official Purpose" for being there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    But for a non-FFL or non-dealer ONLY long guns, correct?
    Yes. Only FFLs can mail handguns. FFLs and non-FFLs can both mail long guns.

Many of the prior posts (mine included) used the term "firearm" and did not distinguish between long guns and pistols. The way I read what you wrote, for a non-FFL or non-dealer there is a critical difference between long guns and pistols and one is illegal (pistols) and one is not (long guns). Is that correct? So, to make the distinction is critically important, is it not?
    The distinction is what is allowed to be mailed by whom, not what type may be carried on one's person, including in hand, on postal premises. Think about this: If it's legal for a non-FFL to mail a rifle via USPS services, why on Earth would it be illegal to bring the rifle onto postal premises to engage in the business contract of said services? We joke about government and laws not making sense, but come on.

I'm used to stuff that is written strangely (the Internal Revenue Code), but that is strange...........I interpreted "official purposes" as a less inclusive phrase, such "he carried his gun for "official purposes" as a LEO"............

Just trying to understand the distinctions being made here. Thank you.
    Official, according to the dictionary, also includes something of an investment. Commerce is an investment, therefore it's official.

Quote Originally Posted by Cremator75 View Post
    I have never found a list of "Official Purposes". As far as I know one needs to go to the PO to check their PO Box. To me, checking your mail sounds like an "Official Purpose" for being there.
    Because you have investment, ie official purpose. That's why it's legal to have a firearm in a post office. That's also covered under CFR on those fancy no carry posters which conveniently leave out the "sub d" which states "or for other lawful purposes". Mailing a firearm is a lawful purpose. Checking your post office box is a lawful purpose. Those two laws are why it's legal to have a firearm on postal property. You are there for lawful purpose and if you are using services of the USPS, you have official purpose there.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Here's hoping the federal judge agrees with your interpretations.

There's the catch, who decides what Official Purposes are? I'm pretty sure its the Post Office.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The post office does not have that authority.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The post office does not have that authority.
    If not the Post Office, then who?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The post office is run by the U.S. Government. How do they NOT have the authority? This thread is getting bizarre. Do as you will, and (I won't) see you in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    The post office is run by the U.S. Government. How do they NOT have the authority? This thread is getting bizarre. Do as you will, and (I won't) see you in jail.
    You make a good point. There are also postal police, no joke... they can investigate crimes and arrest offenders, so I'd be careful about mailing firearms that may not be permitted to be mailed.
    Last edited by Badey; April 1st, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: clarify point
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links