Open carry.....at the Post Office????? - Page 5

Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

This is a discussion on Open carry.....at the Post Office????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crescentstar There is a big difference in bringing in an unloaded firearm sealed in a plain box to mail and open carrying ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Open carry.....at the Post Office?????

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    There is a big difference in bringing in an unloaded firearm sealed in a plain box to mail and open carrying a loaded gun visible in a holster at the post office, which, again, was how this thread started.
    And then people started saying a firearm on premises no matter what is illegal. I proved my point.

Oh, just yesterday I mailed another handgun using the USPS.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 5th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Big difference between an employee conduct rules and federal law. What happened was he violated the rules of his employment, but not federal law. Big difference.

But again, explain to me why it's legal to bring a firearm to the post office to mail but it's illegal to bring the same onto the property in the first place.

This kind of stuff is exactly why crap like this gets perpetuated around the gun forum world.
    Please see the Code Of Federal Regulations CFR 232.1 - conduct on Postal Property.

(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies, and to all persons entering in or on such property.

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

39 CFR 232.1 - Conduct on postal property. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 39: Postal Service - Part 232: Conduct on postal property - Id 19777182 - vLex

The reason you can mail guns at the Post Office is that is one of the "official purposes" listed in the regulation.
    Last edited by jrclen; April 6th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    Please see the Code Of Federal Regulations CFR 232.1 - conduct on Postal Property
    Yeah, I read them already.

The reason you can mail guns at the Post Office is that is one of the "official purposes" listed in the regulation.
    Exactly what I've been saying this whole time and many times over the years when this comes up. Yet people still tell me it's illegal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Blocking is a nice feature of this site.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

I would have asked him if he is Law Enforcement, and if he said no, I would have arrested him.

That's just outright dumb. Carrying a weapon means there are responsibilities of knowing the law properly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links