A New Concern While Open Carrying

This is a discussion on A New Concern While Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been OCing about 30% of the time I carry for about a month. Before that I had never OCed. Anyway, I was ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 5 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By DontTreadOnI
  • 3 Post By F350

Thread: A New Concern While Open Carrying

A New Concern While Open Carrying

So I have been OCing about 30% of the time I carry for about a month. Before that I had never OCed. Anyway, I was OCing at a local park while hiking in the woods. About 10 minutes into the hike, I hear gunshots. Now, this is not uncommon, as this park is out in the country a bit, and people occasionally shoot on their property adjacent to the park.

This got me thinking, though, that I may be placing myself in an awkward position by open carrying. In any situation in which shots are fired, the guy with the gun openly on his hip may be a prime suspect (which may lead to an awkward situation with LEOs). I am not going to stop open carrying, but this gave me something to think about.

Thoughts?
    paramedic70002 and beararms like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

Regardless of ones position here, the simple truth is in any happening, a gun in view becomes a factor, while one that's concealed is not. No right, no wrong, just something you have to be aware of and weigh the pros and cons, and decide which is an acceptable risk according to your own tactics and SD plan.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Also, something to keep in mind, as this could come up in any situation you were involved in weather OCing or concealing; I think that having a round in the chamber and also topped off any mag on your person is a really good way to show that you did not fire your weapon in a situation where that would come in to question.
    beararms and MikeNice like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Great post Badey. Food for thought.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Possibly another reason to clean your weapon frequently. What better way to show a weapon has not been fired recently?

I had given this little thought, before, but I sometimes do not clean my weapon after every trip to the range.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Possibly another reason to clean your weapon frequently. What better way to show a weapon has not been fired recently?

I had given this little thought, before, but I sometimes do not clean my weapon after every trip to the range.
    If it comes down to that I'm screwed lol :(

A clean gun may help your position, but possibly not until after you are manhandled by LEOs who are responding to a call of "shots fired" and see a man with a gun.

Also, people nearby who may have only heard the shots may say, "that's him!" "That's the guy who was shooting!" just because they connect the sight of your gun with the recently fired shots.

That would put you in a very awkward position.
    Last edited by Badey; April 4th, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add a point.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I shot IPSC for about 15 years, during that time I developed a healthy distrust for a clean pistol. I do not clean my carry piece unless I can shoot it at least 20 rounds before carrying again.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I shot IPSC for about 15 years, during that time I developed a healthy distrust for a clean pistol. I do not clean my carry piece unless I can shoot it at least 20 rounds before carrying again.
    I don't understand?
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

Ron, it's just a matter of an "after cleaning" function test I think.

I have seen more malfunctions with competitors going into a match with clean guns (mostly 1911s) usually from failures to feed/function due to a mis-instillation of a part, lube not distributed and the slide goes back enough to cock and eject but not pick up new round, guy guy does a couple tap-n-racks then pistol starts working. Yea basically test fire, get lube distributed, tight 1911s just seem to like a little dirt.

Glock...yea I might carry a clean Glock; but I love the 1911.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    A clean fun may help your position, but possibly not until after you are manhandled by LEOs who are responding to a call of "shots fired" and see a man with a gun.

Also, people nearby who may have only heard the shots may say, "that's him!" "That's the guy who was shooting!" just because they connect the sight of your gun with the recently fired shots.

That would put you in a very awkward position.
    Yup. We often view the situation from our perspective and not the LEO's perspective. I'd be pretty p-o'd if all of the sudden I was surrounded by cops with guns drawn. But from the cops perspective, if they have bum information that leads to a middle-aged guy walking in the park shooting his weapon, and I have a gun on my hip, I doubt they will approach me with the normal "Sir, excuse me, but we have reports that a person fitting your description may have been shooting at things, possibly people."

Short answer- the main reason I don't OC is that I don't want to draw any attention to myself.

I cc 90+% but if there was a shots fired incident I would let the first officer who speaks to me know I am carrying. Hiding info like that will make you a suspect.
    Were I oc at the time I would not need to inform. I would keep my hands in plain view and do exactly what the nice police man says. BGs rarely oc;; I expect everything would sort it self out quickly.

Good question. We don't think about being caught as a third party like that.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

A holstered gun is an inactive gun, IMO. You probably encountered recreational shooters. Having borne witness to an active shooter OC wouldn't deter me from helping an investigation. Asked to disarm, I would ask to be disarmed. I've taken some criticism for my flippant perspective toward CC here. It's probably a product of being very comfortable with OC in my area. When I do OC I carry my wallet weak side... ;)
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Links