Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ZeBool This is how I handled an encounter like that. Pittsburgh police, as well. I also posted this on PAFOA.org, where it ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by ZeBool View Post
    This is how I handled an encounter like that. Pittsburgh police, as well.

I also posted this on PAFOA.org, where it was discussed at some length:
    Surrounded by Pittsburgh Police. Recorded.
    Badey, as a PA gun owner, you should join up over there.
    Well played! I thought mine was an uncomfortable situation; you had 10 officers surrounding you!

I am on the PAFAO forum with the same username, but am not very active, although I read through the posts.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Someone said, "pick your battles". The connotation in this context is, "pick your battlefields". You have nothing to gain by being a test case that you can't already process by communicating the OP encounter with the chief, and, whether satisfied with the chief's response or not, with your local and up to your state representative. If you aren't sure, you're out of your league being a test case. At the very least, start research digging through a lot of paper; and get support from civil rights groups veterans or students who can educate you in tactics of civil disobedience like role play. I'm not saying that you can't do it but that it probably isn't worth taking that low road.

If you are exercising your rights, whether or not looking to be a test case, and have another encounter, then the below reply is quite appropriate.

If the officer moves to arrest you, you may get your test case or may have the opportunity to cover; and I would chose the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    All police here are trained on the legality of open carry, or at least they are supposed to be, so it is not an issue of education of the officers. There have already been several suits in the state of PA about open carry, and PDs have had to fork over money in settlements, but that still has not changed the actions of some LEOs.

I am not sure how talking to the chief or my reps is going to change the reaction of LEOs who already KNOW open carry is legal, yet still choose to try to coerce people to conceal
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Problem is, they know that most people would rather choose the latter (conceal even though open is legal) and that is how rights get stripped away.
    This is why I suggest involving your reps - your best access to government. What choices are there? Not many. Besides notifying the chief being your best hope of dealing with the cops because the street level isn't getting you anywhere. I appreciate your hanging in with this thread, Badey. Please re-read your responses and sum up what you've learned and how you intend to approach OC and the Pittsburgh PD.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links