Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying - Page 2

Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Badey How many criminals do you hear of open carrying?? Probably dont hear of many, but I can tell you i've met ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    How many criminals do you hear of open carrying??
    Probably dont hear of many, but I can tell you i've met plenty. I get the feeling people OC because they "can", not because its actually the better option.

If you OC, you are probably going to have a LEO encounter at some point. If this is not convienient for you, CC.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Probably dont hear of many, but I can tell you i've met plenty. I get the feeling people OC because they "can", not because its actually the better option.

If you OC, you are probably going to have a LEO encounter at some point. If this is not convienient for you, CC.
    You've met many criminals open carrying??

There are advantages to open carry and concealed carry.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    The problem with open carry is that it almost always results in a LEO interaction,(in my world at any rate) that is for them, stressful (man with a gun)...I deem it risky behavior in town and question the sanity of anyone who carrys in this manner... as will LE...and maybe not to politely...
    I don't see what's risky about it, provided OC is legal in the jurisdiction. The sanity question is hyperbole, right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I am well aware of the laws in my area. I did not need to respond unless I was being detained, and I did not need to produce my permit. However, I did not want to escalate the situation, as he was on edge. Also, I did not want to be one of those open carry jerks on youtube. I wanted to represent carry (any kind) well, and show that citizens that carry firearms can be respectful while asserting their rights (I failed to do the latter, however).

Lastly, this was my first LEO encounter while open carrying, and I was a touch nervous, hence why I caved.
    Didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong. I may have done the same. I try not to quote the Constitution when dealing with LEO's (all of my dealings have been limited to traffic stops, and yeah, I've knowingly waived my 5th amendment rights, but it's gotten me out of tickets for the past 25 years). (By the way, you don't have to respond to LEO's...but then again, I'm not on a mission to make constitutional points at every opportunity, so often I do).

VIP Member
    OP don't feel too bad. I think you did well. You OCed and "showed the flag" so to speak and when confronted you de-escalated and went about your day.

Did you have to cover up? No, but that cop may have left your meeting with a better opinion of armed citizens.

Good job.
    RMS, NavyAirdale, BkCo1 and 1 others like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

@Badey - I use to live in PA, Armstrong County, near Elderton, so I DO get where you are coming from, and also what happens when you have a LEO encounter. If you were up in my old stomping grounds, you probably would have not had any issue of any kind with OC, lots of people OC in that area when I lived there. I also had a CC permit, I guess I would have been 50/50 on OC vrs CC in how I carried my gun, and when I was heading to Pitts, I def just CC'd, the LE down there were just too hard to deal with ordinarily, let alone if a gun were in the pic. You need to live in New Mexico where I live now, you see many people OC all the time, and you also see some ride their horses into town too . . LOL !! However, it is a different world here in the southwest vrs east of the Mississippi. People do not seem to have that 'fear' of guns like other places.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post

I would not mind the encounter so much. However I do mind being cussed at, ridiculed, or being talked down to. This officer need to be reported. Simple as that. What he did was unprofessional.

Michael

Well, I caved and covered. This was my first LEO encounter while OCing. I tried to be respectful, as I always am to LEOs, however, I did a poor job of defending my right to legally carry as I see fit.

Feedback?
    What you did was exercise enough good judgement not to get drawn into a roadside power struggle with an edgy cop. I wouldn't call that "caving". If the laws of your state put you in the right and the battle is worth fighting to you then move it up through channels and fight the thing from a position of strength. You won't get far with a hard nosed and profane cop on the side of the road. I guess you knew that.
    jace33, RMS and NavyAirdale like this.

Seems like you did just fine. Being a responsible citizen is also doing what you did by using your judgement and choosing your battles. Developing a skill of "descalation" is important.

I'm not a fan of anyone talking down to me and will challenge when appropriate or ignore when petty. This is one situation where despite the officers edge (remember they are not paid to be friends), he has a good point. If he was challenging you on the sole grounds of carrying, that would be something different.

I'm not much of an OC guy, and choose to conceal 99%. Something I don't care for are guys who choose to OC and then go out looking for a challenge with police in an effort to reinforce their own authority. In some aspects, I think of OC a lot like I think of profanity. You have a right to free speech & in most places you are free to use profanity. It doesn't mean it is always smart and it could likely provoke another citizen to respond, when they would have otherwise minded their own.
    rickohio likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I think you did good.

Same thing happens when you see a police officer walking around with a shotgun or a rifle in a park.

People get worried and scared. If they could, most of them would :)

People new to carry tend to be on the side of not wanting to be too confrontational when confronted by LEO and even tho they are legally in the right they will have LEO's that think they are giving them their opinion or experience as they look at people that OC,OC isn't legal here in public,but on private property you can and some day I might make a nice BBQ holster,belt,and mag pouch for my 1911 that would look great.
    Over time whether you OC or CC you will become more comfortable and be able to have an informal conversation about the pros and cons of OC vs. CC and be able to thank him for his opinion but your going to carry the way you feel most comfortable.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Sounded like it went fine. From his perspective, I'm sure he was just being proactive before someone made a big deal about it. If it's not common in that area, he probably saw it as something he would have to deal with later if an 'agreement' was not reached. From your perspective, I'm sure it seemed like your rights were not upheld. It the grand scheme of things, if there were mom's and kids around, it was probably a good compromise before someone saw it and flipped out.
    Excuse me? Good compromise! By your words so a LEO could make his life easier he 'convinces' this guy the best course of action is for him to not OC which is his right!!! Where the heck is the compromise????????
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong. I may have done the same. I try not to quote the Constitution when dealing with LEO's (all of my dealings have been limited to traffic stops, and yeah, I've knowingly waived my 5th amendment rights, but it's gotten me out of tickets for the past 25 years). (By the way, you don't have to respond to LEO's...but then again, I'm not on a mission to make constitutional points at every opportunity, so often I do).
    I've talked during traffic stops too, and it has also gotten me out of tickets I think I've learned that if I'm going to keep open carrying, I need to prep for what I am going to say in a situation like this, if arises again.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Lots of things are your "right." It doesn't necessarily make them "smart."

When I go out in the wilderness, the only animals I worry about are the ones on two legs. And the same rules that apply in an urban setting apply in the great outdoors: I want every maximum tactical advantage I can get. Open carry means the BGs now know that you've got $500 or so worth of metal on your hip and maybe now they want it. It means they know to act all friendly and unthreatening and nice an' stuff until they are close enough to overpower you.

Additional downsides are other civilians calling in a MWAG report. Or LEO drawing on you and ordering you to do something and if you move wrongly...

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

So what is next. You follow the law. LEO office does not like it so he makes you follow his PC ideas. Where does it stop?
    This is what is happening in places like Madison Wisconsin. LEO rip American flag stickers off cars, make people take vest with flags on the off.
    Their reason is someone maybe offended.
    We have a bunch of LEO police chiefs here that do not like CC and have made it a point to public state they will find a reason to arrest you or make one.
    So regardless of the law go sit down and do as I say because I am the the law.
    Scary very scary.
    suntzu and ep1953 like this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links