Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying - Page 3

Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

This is a discussion on Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 So what is next. You follow the law. LEO office does not like it so he makes you follow his PC ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 152
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Interesting LEO Encounter While Open Carrying

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    So what is next. You follow the law. LEO office does not like it so he makes you follow his PC ideas. Where does it stop?
    This is what is happening in places like Madison Wisconsin. LEO rip American flag stickers off cars, make people take vest with flags on the off.
    Their reason is someone maybe offended.
    We have a bunch of LEO police chiefs here that do not like CC and have made it a point to public state they will find a reason to arrest you or make one.
    So regardless of the law go sit down and do as I say because I am the the law.
    Scary very scary.
    If what you say is true Madison and places like it must be real snake pits. I'd be for finding a new zip code.
    scgunlover1 likes this.


  2. #32
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,793
    I did not like the LEO's attitude or approach to someone who was within his legal rights to be doing 'whatever' he was doing.
    I would, however, have covered up to avoid a hassle at that particular moment and addressed that concern in writing at a later date.
    Why create an argument that you won't win 'at that moment' when you can make your point with the 'pen' at a later time?
    MleeC and RMS like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  3. #33
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Lots of things are your "right." It doesn't necessarily make them "smart."

    When I go out in the wilderness, the only animals I worry about are the ones on two legs. And the same rules that apply in an urban setting apply in the great outdoors: I want every maximum tactical advantage I can get. Open carry means the BGs now know that you've got $500 or so worth of metal on your hip and maybe now they want it. It means they know to act all friendly and unthreatening and nice an' stuff until they are close enough to overpower you.

    Additional downsides are other civilians calling in a MWAG report. Or LEO drawing on you and ordering you to do something and if you move wrongly...

    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    I have considered the pros and cons. I CC about 70% of the time and OC about 30%.

    There are only two publicized cases where someone OCing was targeted for their gun....

    The antis use similar logic to say that CC is legal, but not smart.

    I wasn't wanting to debate OC vs CC so much as I wanted to get people's takes on my encounter.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array taseal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    So what is next. You follow the law. LEO office does not like it so he makes you follow his PC ideas. Where does it stop?
    This is what is happening in places like Madison Wisconsin. LEO rip American flag stickers off cars, make people take vest with flags on the off.
    Their reason is someone maybe offended.
    We have a bunch of LEO police chiefs here that do not like CC and have made it a point to public state they will find a reason to arrest you or make one.
    So regardless of the law go sit down and do as I say because I am the the law.
    Scary very scary.
    That's a very easy way to make money! Easier than the lottery!!!

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  5. #35
    Senior Member Array ep1953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kodak TN
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
    so what is next. You follow the law. Leo office does not like it so he makes you follow his pc ideas. Where does it stop?
    This is what is happening in places like madison wisconsin. Leo rip american flag stickers off cars, make people take vest with flags on the off.
    Their reason is someone maybe offended.
    We have a bunch of leo police chiefs here that do not like cc and have made it a point to public state they will find a reason to arrest you or make one.
    So regardless of the law go sit down and do as i say because i am the the law.
    Scary very scary.
    Papers, Please!!
    arizona likes this.

  6. #36
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    The officer was wrong, period.
    arizona likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  7. #37
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    If what you say is true Madison and places like it must be real snake pits. I'd be for finding a new zip code.

    Cartoon of Milwaukee Police Chief Flynn concerning open carry. His actually wording excluding the "hnf's".

    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  8. #38
    New Member Array Mike_B1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3
    I'm not a cop, but I do think their job can be pretty crappy. Ever watch the TV show "Cops"? I know, just in the regular course of any given day, how many idiots I run into. And I have very limited contact with random people. Their job is such that they naturally have the attitude "what's the next idiot gonna do now?". Who could blame them? I think you handled the situation perfectly. Why not make the guy's day just a little easier? Create some good karma for yourself. Maybe the next time you get pulled over for some oversight like unintentionally speeding, you'll just be let off with a warning. Live and let live.

  9. #39
    Member Array Nutrodoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    154
    I don't think you "caved". The officer made sense and you responded appropriately. Just because we have the right to do something doesn't mean that it is always the right thing to do. Having it under your shirt eliminates the very real possibility of 911 "man with a gun" calls. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that open carry sends a very clear message to the bad guy - "I have a gun so shoot me first." The 1st amendment says I have the right to walk into a Hell's Angels hangout and say, "F... all of you." That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. To me, it makes no sense to disturb a hornet's nest just to prove a point. Many - not all - of the people who open carry are actually hoping for a confrontation with a LEO or others, which is the opposite of the proper concealed carry philosophy. I think you handled the encounter perfectly.

  10. #40
    Member Array Dumbledork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    163
    I think you DID cave. If you're not ready to stand up for yourself when being faced with a LEO who doesnt care about your rights, and uses intimidation to get you to comply, you should stop open carrying, and just conceal from now on. Caving in like that will just encourage him to do it to the next guy he sees open carrying. And, no, you're not under any obligation to show him any sort of paper identification when you're carrying.

  11. #41
    Member Array Jdp751's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    S.c
    Posts
    161
    The problem is not the law enforcement. I truly think the biggest problem is people just do not know it is legal to carry a gun. people who do carry weapons are a very very small percentage of the population in the United States, I think you will find most people that are not in the gun culture do not have a clue how many people are carrying weapons without them even knowing it possibly even standing right next to them in a store and that it is perfectly legal , and because of this reason when people see somebody with a weapon they are probably going to call the police. I put the blame mostly on all the states that do allow legal carrying of weapons and those states do not make it known to all the residents of that state that it is perfectly legal and acceptable. I have found that only the people who own guns are the only ones who are aware of the fact that you are allowed to carry a weapon out in the public. And most criminals do not wear their weapons exposed and most law enforcement realized that

  12. #42
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B1966 View Post
    I'm not a cop, but I do think their job can be pretty crappy. Ever watch the TV show "Cops"? I know, just in the regular course of any given day, how many idiots I run into. And I have very limited contact with random people. Their job is such that they naturally have the attitude "what's the next idiot gonna do now?". Who could blame them? I think you handled the situation perfectly. Why not make the guy's day just a little easier? Create some good karma for yourself. Maybe the next time you get pulled over for some oversight like unintentionally speeding, you'll just be let off with a warning. Live and let live.
    Look, if a LEO feels his job is crappy he can quit. This was not a MAWG response. Ya know, if they respond to all MAWG reports well, that is thier job. And when I OC I had cops called twice. I understand it is thier job and have no problems with it. I have a problem with a LEO on his own doing what this guy did. Also, the idiot that kept calling the cops on me stopped responding after they asked the lady if it was the same guy (me). I don't know the protocol that LEO's have reagarding this. But in essence a right is trying to be taken away for the conevnience of eveerybody else (scared mom, LEO's). Why don't we just get rid of the nasty 4th amendment. It sure would make LEO's jobs easier.....whew..time for my coffee

  13. #43
    Senior Member Array acepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Madison WI they just beat the heck out of you then arrest you. you got off easy.
    For LEO officer today the only law is what they want it to be. Just the way it is now.
    Really??? That's sounds like a good way to make some cash. Looks like I need to take a trip down to Mad Town...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

  14. #44
    Senior Member Array acepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    562
    OK...how would this have gone if when asked by the LEO if you had a CCW permit and you had said "No, I don't. (and you honestly did not have one)" ???
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

  15. #45
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,883
    Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    OK...how would this have gone if when asked by the LEO if you had a CCW permit and you had said "No, I don't. (and you honestly did not have one)" ???
    Depends what state....but I think I see where you are going. I was thinking of that before. You need no liscens/permit to OC. So what if a LEO was adamant abuut it and you did not have a CC permit or did not have it with you? Good question. When I OC I don't have my permit with me to CC. It is when I am hiking or walking my dog or snow shoeing.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry wisconsin
,
open carry encounter
,

open carry encounters

,

open carry leo encounter

,
open carry police encounter
,

open carry states list

,
open carry wisconsin 2012
,
powered by mybb alabama birth injury lawyer
,
powered by mybb business in north carolina
,
powered by mybb business license in washington
,
powered by mybb running injuries
,
powered by mybb state department
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors