Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell - Page 2

Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

This is a discussion on Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball He was within his rights to carry the weapon, however, he was STUPID for not cooperating with Police. That being said, ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 125
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    He was within his rights to carry the weapon, however, he was STUPID for not cooperating with Police. That being said, why in gods name do you walk down the street with a rifle on your back. This is not going to go over well for the OC crowd.
    I'm not from that State but there could be many different reasons for carrying a weapon. I have carried that way when walking to the outskirts of town to go shooting. Or when taking it to a gunsmith for repairs. What if he was going down the street to the indoor shooting range? Could be a number of perfectly legitimate reason to open carry.

    Michael

  2. #17
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    9,115
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm not from that State but there could be many different reasons for carrying a weapon. I have carried that way when walking to the outskirts of town to go shooting. Or when taking it to a gunsmith for repairs. What if he was going down the street to the indoor shooting range? Could be a number of perfectly legitimate reason to open carry.

    Michael
    I did the same thing from my car to my apartment door. Then LE showed up, put my face in the dirt, and took my guns. OCing a rifle in town is stupid to say the least, legal or not. Especially doing so in a burb of Detroit.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Originally Posted by mlr1m
    I'm not from that State but there could be many different reasons for carrying a weapon. I have carried that way when walking to the outskirts of town to go shooting. Or when taking it to a gunsmith for repairs. What if he was going down the street to the indoor shooting range? Could be a number of perfectly legitimate reason to open carry.

    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I did the same thing from my car to my apartment door. Then LE showed up, put my face in the dirt, and took my guns. OCing a rifle in town is stupid to say the least, legal or not. Especially doing so in a burb of Detroit.
    Agreed that it is a problem. Trouble is that in some areas while it is legal to carry your firearm under certain conditions without a permit it must not be concealed. Its a Catch 22 situation. If I obey the law when openly carrying my weapon out of town to go shooting I might be proned out on the pavement by some cop. If I try to prevent that by concealing the firearm until out of town and get caught I could land in jail for concealing it.
    Sometimes you just can't win.

    Michael

  4. #19
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    9,115
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Agreed that it is a problem. Trouble is that in some areas while it is legal to carry your firearm under certain conditions without a permit it must not be concealed. Its a Catch 22 situation. If I obey the law when openly carrying my weapon out of town to go shooting I might be proned out on the pavement by some cop. If I try to prevent that by concealing the firearm until out of town and get caught I could land in jail for concealing it.
    Sometimes you just can't win.

    Michael
    Thats the truth. One thing that Im not sure about in this story is the fact that he had a round chambered. I forget if its legal to OC with a round in the chamber w/o a permit...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  5. #20
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,183
    F350 very well stated.

    IF he was told the reason he was being stopped is because he appeared too young to carry a firearm the he deserves what he gets. A citizen does have rights; but there are responsibilities that go along with it too.

    If I am not mistaken even MOC does not support the OC'ing of rifles in public and have a letter on their website about it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,676
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If I am not mistaken even MOC does not support the OC'ing of rifles in public and have a letter on their website about it.
    If that is true, it seems a bit hypocritical to me. A lot of pro 2A people do not support open carry, and open carriers whine about it, so why wouldn't they support the legal carry of long guns?
    noway2 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array KimBobTex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    506
    "Why do I need an ID? I'm a registered Democrat ... everytime I vote on election day, I've never needed an ID!"
    Badey likes this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

    Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

  8. #23
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    9,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    He was within his rights to carry the weapon, however, he was STUPID for not cooperating with Police. That being said, why in gods name do you walk down the street with a rifle on your back. This is not going to go over well for the OC crowd.

    Agreed, and as an aside,


    Maybe he doesn't want to wind up like these guys in GR ,

    Media censored seven hate crime mob attacks in Grand Rapids

    and as he is too young to carry a pistol,,,,,,,,, Who knows, but still should have given DL.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

    M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

  9. #24
    Member Array ares338's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    49
    Yes, he should have cooperated. That said; if the police want you, they can and will find a way to get you. You are asking for trouble by doing this.

  10. #25
    New Member Array vette329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    troy
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'll admit up front I do not know Michigan laws. If in fact there is a age restriction for possession of a long gun, the police are within their rights to verify if in doubt. Looking at the kids picture, I would not guess his age at 18. He looks more like 15 or 16. When he refused to identify himself he left the police no other option than to take him in.
    Since you admitted that you do not know MI laws, why are you even commenting on this? He did not have to provide ID, and when he did, they arrested him.

  11. #26
    New Member Array vette329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    troy
    Posts
    8
    Do you really know why he was approached?

  12. #27
    New Member Array vette329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    troy
    Posts
    8
    Now there is an intelligent response

  13. #28
    New Member Array vette329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    troy
    Posts
    8
    Obviously, you do not know the entire story. Once he cooperated he was arrested!!!!

  14. #29
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    What appalls me is the overwhelming assumption that the kid was wrong and the Police were right. Ever hear of the 4th amendment? Gun owners are their own worst enemy.
    Badey and LongRider like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  15. #30
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,676
    Quote Originally Posted by vette329 View Post
    Now there is an intelligent response
    Which one? Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

birmingham mi rifle
,
can a kid carry a gun
,
michigan open carry gun law
,

michigan rifle laws

,

sean combs birmingham

,
sean combs gun
,

sean combs michigan

,
sean combs rifle
,

sean combs troy

,
sean combs troy mi
,

sean michael combs

,
troy rifle
Click on a term to search for related topics.