Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

This is a discussion on Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Really??? That's intelligent...........

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

Really??? That's intelligent........

2. Remove Ads

Read the law :) And sorry you are old and don't get carded

Law states he did not have to produce ID, and once he did, they arrested him........you need to read the facts on this situation.

Their reason for stopping him was not conveyed. When asked for ID he presented it, and they still arrested him!!! I am thankful that some of our youngsters know our constitutional rights. We are a dying breed. You need to read the facts in this case

In Michigan you have to be 18 or over to open carry.

He looked underage. This created reasonable suspicion that he was breaking the law

The cops asked for ID. He refused. That's disorderly conduct.

He got what he deserved. He was looking for trouble and he got it.

The OC activists seem to think he is a martyr.

Quote Originally Posted by cmike View Post
    In Michigan you have to be 18 or over to open carry.

He looked underage. This created reasonable suspicion that he was breaking the law

The cops asked for ID. He refused. That's disorderly conduct.

He got what he deserved. He was looking for trouble and he got it.

The OC activists seem to think he is a martyr.
    I'm not sure that you are right on your view of the law. Its kind of like the principle that it is illegal for felons to carry guns, yet you do not have to ID yourself to police for them to make sure that you AREN'T a felon in many states.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

The difference is that kid looked very young.

The difference is that kid looked very young.
    I'll agree with you that the kid should have given ID, but the question is whether or not he was legally obliged to do so.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

The cop had reasonable suspicion and at that point could give lawful commands.

The cop had reasonable suspicion and at that point could give lawful commands.
    Where the person appears to be a minor and therefore too young to have firearm (in most states), the police may have reason to believe that a crime is being committed
    Police Chief Magazine - View Article

The quote and source say that the police MAY have RAS if the person in question appears to be a minor. It may or may not be RAS, hence my comment that the question is whether or not the kid was legally obliged to produce his ID.

VIP Member
    Vette329 I am not from Michigan either but a stupid stunt in one state is still a stupid stunt in another, stupidity shows no boundries.

You stated that the reason for stopping him was not conveyed. A person, who appears to be a juvenile, is walking with a slung rifle across his back, ummmmmmmm pretty well conveyed it seems. In the article I read he refused to present an ID to verify his age and that is when he was arrested. Is there another article I am missing?

If he wants to OC a rifle far be it from me to question his motives, whatever floats his boat. He is not carrying it for self defense as a third rate crackhead could disarm him before he could unsling it and use it. He wanted attention and he got it. One of the favorite statements on here is "Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes".

You to should read more. MOC the leading representative in your state does not support the open carrying of long guns and deems it counter productive to the OC movement. They do not even allow it to be discussed on their own forum. Here is part of the letter on their website.

The pleadings allege that individuals have openly carried shotguns and rifles in the library. Michigan Open Carry, Inc. respects all Second Amendment Rights. However, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. does not advocate in the area of long gun open carry and seeks to educate the public and members of law enforcement about the legality of handgun open carry only. In fact, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. excludes long gun open carry discussions from its online forum.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Vette329 I am not from Michigan either but a stupid stunt in one state is still a stupid stunt in another, stupidity shows no boundries.

You stated that the reason for stopping him was not conveyed. A person, who appears to be a juvenile, is walking with a slung rifle across his back, ummmmmmmm pretty well conveyed it seems. In the article I read he refused to present an ID to verify his age and that is when he was arrested. Is there another article I am missing?

If he wants to OC a rifle far be it from me to question his motives, whatever floats his boat. He is not carrying it for self defense as a third rate crackhead could disarm him before he could unsling it and use it. He wanted attention and he got it. One of the favorite statements on here is "Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes".

You to should read more. MOC the leading representative in your state does not support the open carrying of long guns and deems it counter productive to the OC movement. They do not even allow it to be discussed on their own forum. Here is part of the letter on their website.

The pleadings allege that individuals have openly carried shotguns and rifles in the library. Michigan Open Carry, Inc. respects all Second Amendment Rights. However, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. does not advocate in the area of long gun open carry and seeks to educate the public and members of law enforcement about the legality of handgun open carry only. In fact, Michigan Open Carry, Inc. excludes long gun open carry discussions from its online forum.
    Unless he is given a handgun by a relative, a long gun is the only type of gun he could legally carry for self-defense until he is 21, so he very well may have been carrying it for self-defense.

Ok, am I the only one that thinks this kid is a douche? I'm usually never on the side of the cops when it comes to gun stuff but a young looking kid walking in a downtown area with a rifle over his shoulder looks suspicious EVEN in a shall issue / good gun law state. If the cop actually did just ask for ID to check his age, instead of getting real defensive I don't think that's asking much. I don't like to volunteer any info when I don't have to or OCing. But c'mon. Look at the kid. Looks like he belongs in middle school, refuses to ID himself then has a $hit eating grin in his mugshot! This was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Unless he is given a handgun by a relative, a long gun is the only type of gun he could legally carry for self-defense until he is 21, so he very well may have been carrying it for self-defense.
    Not likely.. There is an underlying story with this kid that no one knows. What ever it is, doesnt matter at this point. He screwed up....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    He screwed up....
    I tend to agree with you on this point. I think he should have given ID. However, I would like to hear the audio or see the video from the stop.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links