Defensive Carry banner

Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

13K views 124 replies 32 participants last post by  sgb 
#1 ·
Police Arrest Troy Teen Carrying Loaded Rifle in Downtown Birmingham - Troy, MI Patch

An 18-year-old from Troy, Sean Michael Combs, was arrested Friday night in downtown Birmingham after police found him walking around with a rifle slung across his back.

According to police reports, officers on foot patrol saw Combs with the rifle walking near South Old Woodward and Merrill at around 10:20 p.m.

Officers stopped the man and asked for identification so they could verify if he was old enough to be in possession of the rifle. Birmingham Police Cmdr. Terry Kiernan said adults are allowed to carry firearms in Michigan, though Combs appeared "very young," Kiernan said.

However, police said Combs refused to identify himself, and he was taken into custody for disorderly conduct, brandishing a firearm and obstructing an officer.

Later, police determined the weapon was a M1-.30 caliber rifle that was fully loaded with one round in the chamber. No proof of ownership for the rifle was ever obtained, and Kiernan said the Combs was uncooperative during police questioning. As of Monday, Kiernan said police are not sure of Combs' motives.

Combs posted bond that night and was released. He is scheduled to appear at the 48th District Court at 8:30 a.m. April 25.

Anyone with information about any of this incident may call the Birmingham Police Department at 248-530-1889.
There is, of course, some discussion in the comments section that could use our calm and well-articulated input.

#107 ·
So LEO does not like what you are doing. You broken NO law. He stops you and ask question until you stop responding off to jail you go. LEO thinks you may have broken a law he is not sure there is even a law but you may have broken it off to jail you go.
The LEO's that beat me last year for wearing a US flag and legal open carry. They knew darn well I could not fight back. That was just fine after all they are the judge and jury on the street. And their UNION told them to make an example out of some of us.
We are not required to carry an ID card. Now CC does does require it and you are required to present it on request. No problem with that.
It is the law we passed passed and at least most of us agreed it was reasonable.
What you have is LEO and DA's saying I don't like the law or your rights so no madder what I will arrest you and make your life a mess .
The LEO and DA's know little to nothing will be done to them, here if your lucky enough to get into court the fine for the LEO is payed by the state tax payers so to them it is a joke.
The LEO all high 5 each other and beat their chest on messing over another they disagree with.
Mean while a crack house two blocks down been operating over a year, "we can not act with out cause" so it just keeps operating.
Not about the law or right and wrong it is all about Political agenda.
So they mess with this Kid today are you next?

#108 ·
So LEO does not like what you are doing. You broken NO law. He stops you and ask question until you stop responding off to jail you go. LEO thinks you may have broken a law he is not sure there is even a law but you may have broken it off to jail you go.
The LEO's that beat me last year for wearing a US flag and legal open carry.
Really? Are you sure there isn't a part you are forgetting to tell us. So you think they beat you because you were wearing
a US Flag?

#116 ·
Smitty. So let me get this straight you live in a city where you are beaten by uniformed police officers, in public, for carrying/wearing an American flag and OC'ing a firearm while you were doing nothing but drinking your double latte? You did not mention it but surely you have sought to bring charges or file a civil action against the officers or department? What channel can I google for the news story?

Furthermore since the unions ordered officers to make examples of, "People like us?" but after beating you they fail to revoke your right to carry or charge you criminally? Do you have a linked article, report, photo anything of that nature?

In regards to the OP. When the officers approached the kid it was to confirm his age, nothing more. When he refused to present ID or allow him to confirm his age then what other recourse should the officers take? Oh well he told us he was 18 so we just left. That would be akin to "You can go now officer, nothing going on here, no store robbed, pay no attention to the blood on the floor" "Wow he was such a nice man he told us all was ok and was even cleaning up the mess on the floor, I wish there were more people that would be honest like him".

Again it goes back to common damn sense. The officers see an individual who may be underage carrying a rifle in public. They approach him and ask him for ID to confirm his age, when he refuses he is arrested. All he had to do was tell them I am 18 and here is my proof. Thanks see ya later bye but nooooooooooooooooooooo... let's turn this into an event to promote OC'ing and see where it goes.

Reactions: Hopyard
#119 ·
You are assuming that LEO enforce the law equally and fairly that does not happen every where , Madison WI is a place where the LAW is what ever the Police Union and the Liberal DA says it is.
There has been a big problem going on there with this for some time. Read the news and what little gets reported.

#118 ·
I also would like to see the details of Smitty's account. News story, police report, what actions he did or tried to do against the city if he was wronged. I know that LEO's have abused people before but like anything else "just the facts ma'am". Smitty, can you please provide us with more information?

As far as the OP. Folks here know I am adamant about OC and being left alone if there is no MWAG call. But either way in this situation the kid should have shown ID to prove age. What happens after that who knows. If a LEO saw what looked like a 10 year old driving a car it is perfectly understanable for him to pull that driver over and check ID. Now, here is where I draw a line. In the hypothetical driver situation I think it is OK for the officer to stopand check the ID, NOT run a check on the person. Reason being is the probable cause was a suspicion of driving without a liscense (too young). Once he looks at the ID then he should be let go. Not sure if it is required for LEO's to run an ID check every stop but I disagree with that in certain situations.

Just like after confirming the kid is 18 then they should not run a check on hi to see if he is a felon. That was not the reason for the stop.

#120 ·
With all due respect I am not concerned with the "other news" from Madison, WI.

I and others are asking for verification of the statements you made in regards to you being publically beaten by officers for wearing an American flag and OC'ing a handgun. You have made some pretty big statements in regards to this so I am simply asking for facts or any proof that it happened.

Reactions: Hopyard and suntzu
#124 ·
Well Smitty you have had more than enough time to answer so I guess that I will go with the assumption that "Your silence speaks volumes" and that the event was fabricated or the truth was stretched a bit.

If I am wrong please feel free to PM me or post on the forum. Good luck with your future posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.