Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

This is a discussion on Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize carrying is a right and all that but along with that comes responsibility, maturity and common sense none of which was shown here. ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Kid arrested openly carrying rifle in Birmingham, MI - no laws broken that I can tell

I realize carrying is a right and all that but along with that comes responsibility, maturity and common sense none of which was shown here.
    He looks like a minor with just about enough responsibility, maturity and common sense to get that loaded rifle taken away from him by some predator on the hunt for easy prey. Small wonder a cop would want to see some ID.
    Hopyard and tacman605 like this.

2. Remove Ads

So LEO does not like what you are doing. You broken NO law. He stops you and ask question until you stop responding off to jail you go. LEO thinks you may have broken a law he is not sure there is even a law but you may have broken it off to jail you go.
    The LEO's that beat me last year for wearing a US flag and legal open carry. They knew darn well I could not fight back. That was just fine after all they are the judge and jury on the street. And their UNION told them to make an example out of some of us.
    We are not required to carry an ID card. Now CC does does require it and you are required to present it on request. No problem with that.
    It is the law we passed passed and at least most of us agreed it was reasonable.
    What you have is LEO and DA's saying I don't like the law or your rights so no madder what I will arrest you and make your life a mess .
    The LEO and DA's know little to nothing will be done to them, here if your lucky enough to get into court the fine for the LEO is payed by the state tax payers so to them it is a joke.
    The LEO all high 5 each other and beat their chest on messing over another they disagree with.
    Mean while a crack house two blocks down been operating over a year, "we can not act with out cause" so it just keeps operating.
    Not about the law or right and wrong it is all about Political agenda.
    So they mess with this Kid today are you next?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    So LEO does not like what you are doing. You broken NO law. He stops you and ask question until you stop responding off to jail you go. LEO thinks you may have broken a law he is not sure there is even a law but you may have broken it off to jail you go.
    The LEO's that beat me last year for wearing a US flag and legal open carry.
    Really? Are you sure there isn't a part you are forgetting to tell us. So you think they beat you because you were wearing
    a US Flag?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Really? Are you sure there isn't a part you are forgetting to tell us. So you think they beat you because you were wearing
    a US Flag?
    Maybe they were KGB??
    Hopyard likes this.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Maybe they were KGB??
    Maybe he was vacationing in Tehran or perhaps Pyongyang.

a US Flag?
    Madison WI if you know anything about the place you would understnad.

VIP Member
    Oh, I understand.

Sorry, I'm a law and order guy, and mostly pro-cop notwithstanding that a few of the cops who post here have mistakenly labeled me as a cop hater. No sympathy here. My presumption is you did something to provoke that.

If what you have posted is the entirety of the story I do wish you well in whatever action you might take against the city, but
    somehow I think maybe you just took some well deserved lumps.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Oh, I understand.

Sorry, I'm a law and order guy, and mostly pro-cop notwithstanding that a few of the cops who post here have mistakenly labeled me as a cop hater. No sympathy here. My presumption is you did something to provoke that.

If what you have posted is the entirety of the story I do wish you well in whatever action you might take against the city, but
    somehow I think maybe you just took some well deserved lumps.
    So was I . I was 100% stand with LEO. The world changed. Real let down when you wake up and see what is really going on.
    Madison has been doing this type of stuff for years and getting away with it the DA and courts long ago sold out.
    Check your new reports last year a man was holding but a pro Walker sign two UW students beat him it was all on video. The Madison Police arrested the man that was beaten
    and charged him with provoking the the fight. He was an OLD man. DA well if you don't like it don't come to Madison.
    Madison Police Chief I don't care if they do pass CC. I can find a reason to arrest anyone, and I will.

VIP Member
    So was I . I was 100% stand with LEO. The world changed. Real let down when you wake up and see what is really going on.
    Madison has been doing this type of stuff for years and getting away with it the DA and courts long ago sold out.
    Check your new reports last year a man was holding but a pro Walker sign two UW students beat him it was all on video. The Madison Police arrested the man that was beaten
    and charged him with provoking the the fight. He was an OLD man. DA well if you don't like it don't come to Madison.
    Madison Police Chief I don't care if they do pass CC. I can find a reason to arrest anyone, and I will.
    So have they lifted your license to carry yet?
    Andrew Jackson

Actually, That does make a big difference. You guys have it bad up there in Madison. I've heard the Police Chief and Mayor are both super anti 2A, and that carriers get harassed all the time
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    Smitty. So let me get this straight you live in a city where you are beaten by uniformed police officers, in public, for carrying/wearing an American flag and OC'ing a firearm while you were doing nothing but drinking your double latte? You did not mention it but surely you have sought to bring charges or file a civil action against the officers or department? What channel can I google for the news story?

Furthermore since the unions ordered officers to make examples of, "People like us?" but after beating you they fail to revoke your right to carry or charge you criminally? Do you have a linked article, report, photo anything of that nature?

In regards to the OP. When the officers approached the kid it was to confirm his age, nothing more. When he refused to present ID or allow him to confirm his age then what other recourse should the officers take? Oh well he told us he was 18 so we just left. That would be akin to "You can go now officer, nothing going on here, no store robbed, pay no attention to the blood on the floor" "Wow he was such a nice man he told us all was ok and was even cleaning up the mess on the floor, I wish there were more people that would be honest like him".

Again it goes back to common damn sense. The officers see an individual who may be underage carrying a rifle in public. They approach him and ask him for ID to confirm his age, when he refuses he is arrested. All he had to do was tell them I am 18 and here is my proof. Thanks see ya later bye but nooooooooooooooooooooo... let's turn this into an event to promote OC'ing and see where it goes.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

The LEO's that beat me last year for wearing a US flag and legal open carry. They knew darn well I could not fight back. That was just fine after all they are the judge and jury on the street. And their UNION told them to make an example out of some of us.
    We are not required to carry an ID card. Now CC does does require it and you are required to present it on request. No problem with that.
    It is the law we passed passed and at least most of us agreed it was reasonable.
    What you have is LEO and DA's saying I don't like the law or your rights so no madder what I will arrest you and make your life a mess .
    The LEO and DA's know little to nothing will be done to them, here if your lucky enough to get into court the fine for the LEO is payed by the state tax payers so to them it is a joke.
    The LEO all high 5 each other and beat their chest on messing over another they disagree with.
    Mean while a crack house two blocks down been operating over a year, "we can not act with out cause" so it just keeps operating.
    Not about the law or right and wrong it is all about Political agenda.
    So they mess with this Kid today are you next?
    Smitty please do not take offense to this, but BS...The kid looked under age. He failed to show the officers his ID to show he was 18, so they arrested him. If the PD gets a call for service, such as MWAG call they will come asking some questions. This story would be mute, if the little idiot showed his ID. Is it really that hard to understand?
    Hopyard and tacman605 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I also would like to see the details of Smitty's account. News story, police report, what actions he did or tried to do against the city if he was wronged. I know that LEO's have abused people before but like anything else "just the facts ma'am". Smitty, can you please provide us with more information?

As far as the OP. Folks here know I am adamant about OC and being left alone if there is no MWAG call. But either way in this situation the kid should have shown ID to prove age. What happens after that who knows. If a LEO saw what looked like a 10 year old driving a car it is perfectly understanable for him to pull that driver over and check ID. Now, here is where I draw a line. In the hypothetical driver situation I think it is OK for the officer to stopand check the ID, NOT run a check on the person. Reason being is the probable cause was a suspicion of driving without a liscense (too young). Once he looks at the ID then he should be let go. Not sure if it is required for LEO's to run an ID check every stop but I disagree with that in certain situations.

Just like after confirming the kid is 18 then they should not run a check on hi to see if he is a felon. That was not the reason for the stop.
    tacman605 and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Smitty. So let me get this straight you live in a city where you are beaten by uniformed police officers, in public, for carrying/wearing an American flag and OC'ing a firearm while you were doing nothing but drinking your double latte? You did not mention it but surely you have sought to bring charges or file a civil action against the officers or department? What channel can I google for the news story?

Furthermore since the unions ordered officers to make examples of, "People like us?" but after beating you they fail to revoke your right to carry or charge you criminally? Do you have a linked article, report, photo anything of that nature?

In regards to the OP. When the officers approached the kid it was to confirm his age, nothing more. When he refused to present ID or allow him to confirm his age then what other recourse should the officers take? Oh well he told us he was 18 so we just left. That would be akin to "You can go now officer, nothing going on here, no store robbed, pay no attention to the blood on the floor" "Wow he was such a nice man he told us all was ok and was even cleaning up the mess on the floor, I wish there were more people that would be honest like him".

Again it goes back to common damn sense. The officers see an individual who may be underage carrying a rifle in public. They approach him and ask him for ID to confirm his age, when he refuses he is arrested. All he had to do was tell them I am 18 and here is my proof. Thanks see ya later bye but nooooooooooooooooooooo... let's turn this into an event to promote OC'ing and see where it goes.
    You are assuming that LEO enforce the law equally and fairly that does not happen every where , Madison WI is a place where the LAW is what ever the Police Union and the Liberal DA says it is.
    There has been a big problem going on there with this for some time. Read the news and what little gets reported.

VIP Member
    With all due respect I am not concerned with the "other news" from Madison, WI.

I and others are asking for verification of the statements you made in regards to you being publically beaten by officers for wearing an American flag and OC'ing a handgun. You have made some pretty big statements in regards to this so I am simply asking for facts or any proof that it happened.
    suntzu and Hopyard like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links