OC while riding a bike

OC while riding a bike

This is a discussion on OC while riding a bike within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to start open carrying while training on my bike. I have had a few close calls that I would like to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC while riding a bike

OC while riding a bike

I am going to start open carrying while training on my bike. I have had a few close calls that I would like to be prepared for in case the unthinkable happens. What I want to know is the different ways those of you who do open carry while riding do so? I am looking for comfort as I am on a road bike in a compact position. Plus I ride over 30 miles at a time so I am on the bike for a couple of hours at a time.

I haven't put a lot of thought into OC on a road bike. Shoulder holster on a Mtn bike, but I'm not sure that works as well when you're down in the drops all the time. For ultimate OC, game warden I knew in Alaska put a couple gun mounts like they make for ATVs on his MTB handlebars so he could carry his slug gun.

Are you OC because you can't CC? CC with a fanny pack is probably the most common on the bike. I know some use a handlebar bag, but I don't like the idea of transferring if I stop at the coffee shop. I wrote in the jogging thread about the 511 shirt also.

Crazy lawyer question - up here, NH requires a CCL if you're carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle - plain sight or not. Some states also categorize a bicycle as a vehicle if on a public street. Wonder if any require a CCL for OC on a bike?

VIP Member
    I ride a Trek 5200, and am always carrying a Glock covered at 3:00 in a Brommeland Max-Con V iwb, with an extra mag in the left pocket when I ride, cargo shorts and oversized t-shirt. Never any problems, even on long rides.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Whenever I ride I have my G27 in a retention holster OWB typically covered by a long t shirt. I ain't riding without it !

I like the idea of using a retention holster on the bike, if I were to spill I'm confident my gun will stay with me rather than sliding around on the street.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Crazy lawyer question - up here, NH requires a CCL if you're carrying a loaded handgun in a vehicle - plain sight or not. Some states also categorize a bicycle as a vehicle if on a public street. Wonder if any require a CCL for OC on a bike?
    Maybe Not a crazy question...here in MI, in a vehicle is considered concealed even if worn openly. A bicycle is a vehicle for some legal purposes... Now I have to check the wording to clear it up. I'm covered with my cpl in either case...but I'm really curious.

OP - What gun would you take? I've been pondering putting my keltec in a jersey pocket. (That would be concealed, though..but more aero than any open holster). So far I've only taken it running...my cheapo uncle mikes holster clips right on to my nathan hydration belt. I've yet to figure out a good way to pack for my swim workouts...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I OC when I ride my bike. I ride 20 to 30 miles at a time with extended rides around 50 to 70 miles in a day. I OC my old well worn Taurus PT-111 in a Fobus OWB Kydex holster. It works very well. I have actually gone over the handlebars while wearing this set up and the gun stayed in the holster. Holster and gun got a bit scuffed up but that's why I wear the old Taurus. It is reliable (remember it is an older Taurus made before they went downhill QA-wise)

I will continue to use this set up until something better comes along.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

OC to and from work on my bike every day.
    about 25 miles one way.

never a problem. a feww people that tail gate then drop back after a bit. That is all I have noticed.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I'm curious if there's anyone else that's carrying while they're riding, particularly their road bikes.

I've been riding too long without carrying and have so had too many potential issues.

I'll occasionally slip my Kel Tec P32 in a jersey pocket, but honestly even the p32 is almost a bit much for my jersey. I'm already lugging a bike multi tool, CO2 cartridge and inflator, cell phone, keys, tire levers, patch kit or spare tube, maybe a gel or bar, the cleat covers for my shoes, and maybe a jacket or vest.... That being said, I'm considering a NAA mini revolver. Anyone have a thought on a NAA mini for bike carry?

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    OC to and from work on my bike every day.
    about 25 miles one way.

never a problem. a feww people that tail gate then drop back after a bit. That is all I have noticed.
    I CC only, but I've often thought that OCing cross draw in a Serpa would be the ticket on a road bike, for this very reason. Motorists like to harass cyclists on the road around here. I knew a police chief who was an avid cyclist, and when drivers got aggressive with him when he was on his road bike he'd call it in and have one of his officers track them down and arrest the driver.

Can't attest to OC here, not legal but I wear baggy shorts and stuff a .380 Walther IWB Ritchie holster. Doesn't seem to bother me in the slightest. Did 22 miles on a mountain bike the other day in a slight rainstorm.

On occasion, my shirt will ride up and the cars will give me a REALLY wide berth. :)

JIm

An NAA mini revolver is not a good choice for a SD gun tough it would work in a pinch. NAA will take too much to shoot from a bike because you have to cock the hammer back every time LCP’s are a little heavier but more gun
    Last edited by barstoolguru; May 25th, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    I CC only, but I've often thought that OCing cross draw in a Serpa would be the ticket on a road bike, for this very reason. Motorists like to harass cyclists on the road around here. I knew a police chief who was an avid cyclist, and when drivers got aggressive with him when he was on his road bike he'd call it in and have one of his officers track them down and arrest the driver.
    This is awesome. I wish we had more sympathetic Leo's around here..

Quote Originally Posted by Websniper View Post
    This is awesome. I wish we had more sympathetic Leo's around here..
    I would not say he is a sympathetic LEO as much as he is one pissed off biker that has a badge and calls the police who will dispatch officers immediately. I am an avid biker and from what I see the problem is about 50 50 as far as folks being rude. I was running yesterday and saw this guy riding 1 to 2 feet to the left of the white line. The break down lane is about 5 feet wide and in good shape (same conditions as the road). He was impeding traffic. That is what gives bikers a bad name. Riding two to three abreast on the road....we have all seen them.

My wife uses a fanny pack to carry on her bike. States she has no problem and she does some long rides.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Unfortunately I see loads of cyclists who have no clue how to ride safely or courteously in traffic. When the shoulder is that wide and in good shape, there's no excuse to hog the lane.

In regards to the NAA, its far from an ideal SD gun, but as the old adage goes: a 22 in hand beats the 45 you left at home.

I would likely never be firing the gun from the saddle. If a motorist were to pull over to harass/threaten me, I'd be off the bike (with it between him and me) and preparing to present the gun if bodily harm was threatened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links