Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er - Page 3

Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er

This is a discussion on Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to work in Ypsilanti, and I can tell you first hand, that it would be one of my last choices for where I ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I used to work in Ypsilanti, and I can tell you first hand, that it would be one of my last choices for where I would OC. Also, if I have to carry a BUG in order to feel more "comfortable" OC-ing, as some of you suggested, then what's the point? And lastly, statistically speaking, this (particular gun grab) probably does not/should not deter those of you who are or are leaning towards OC-ing, but it should make you think twice about it, or at least, where you OC.
    MisterAvis likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    Just a short time ago on this board folks got pummled for even suggesting that a BG would attempt to disarm a OCer. Harsh words were exchanged more than once.

Now it is confirmed that these things do happen. As OC becomes more popular I expect this kind of thing to happen more frequently as well. It's something to consider as we go about our 2A lives.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

And yet another "hoodie" shows up!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Just a short time ago on this board folks got pummled for even suggesting that a BG would attempt to disarm a OCer. Harsh words were exchanged more than once.

Now it is confirmed that these things do happen. As OC becomes more popular I expect this kind of thing to happen more frequently as well. It's something to consider as we go about our 2A lives.
    Three cases (we're aware of) in how many decades? Just sayin ..........

Still a retention holster and retention training are a good idea.
    Badey and mrjam2jab like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Find one post..just one post where an OCer said that never ever has a BG taken a weapon from an OC'er. OC'ers have said it can happen and have said it is a choice they have made. And almost to a person recommend training and retention holsters. I OC sometimes and it is a risk assesment. Besides. You cannot legislate rights away because of stupid.

Yup. If more people drove BMWs, more BMWs would be stolen. It's a fact of life. I open carry as a matter of comfort, but that doesn't mean I walk around oblivious to the world. Train, train, train. And carry a BUG or a knife that you can deploy quickly. I carry a fixed blade that I can get to with my offhand quick enough that the second I feel a hand on my gun, I can draw it and get stabby with it.
    atctimmy and AdioSS like this.

I would add that if you are open carry you should consider wearing body armor that's rated to defeat whatever ammunition you are using as well

Do what you want,butby the time there is a significant threat to warrant drawing you may be in a struggle for your gun,if there are 2 or more BG's you will very likely be over powered and "robbed" if lucky,or dead
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Do what you want,butby the time there is a significant threat to warrant drawing you may be in a struggle for your gun,if there are 2 or more BG's you will very likely be over powered and "robbed" if lucky,or dead
    The same can be said of CCing. SA is important for both. Here is a case where a CCer was robbed and his gun was stolen from him.

Man loses concealed weapon in armed robbery | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I OC and CC. It is a personal choice but more than that. It is a right. Listening to the back and forths between CC'ers and OC'ers is like watching the republican primary. Everybody suppose to be supporting the same thing but in fight with each other.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Situation Awareness, being aware of threats, body language, eye contact, your body position. Walking and standing with your weapon away from threats. Sitting in restaurants facing the door and in rear of restaurant. I try to consider all these things when I CC or OC.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Find one post..just one post where an OCer said that never ever has a BG taken a weapon from an OC'er. OC'ers have said it can happen and have said it is a choice they have made. And almost to a person recommend training and retention holsters. I OC sometimes and it is a risk assesment. Besides. You cannot legislate rights away because of stupid.
    Seriously Bro, You've been on this board for only a few months while I have been reading this stuff for years. This subject has been beaten to death on here and it wasn't always friendly. First we didn't have any OC forum because it would always get nasty. Then the mods opened the OC forum but we had a rule that you couldn't argue the merits of OC vs CC. Now as OC continues to gain momentum this forum has gained more traction and more views (and more leeway).

I don't feel like sifting through a ton of old threads to find what you want me to find but trust me enough to believe that the posts are there by the truck load.

OC is here and it is happening. I have no problem with it and I even like to OC every now and then. My point in my other post is that as OC increases in popularity, these things are going to happen and happen more often. It is not a fairytale occurrence like some had said. It's real. Also, just like in the military, our adversaries are being forced to adapt to our tactics, and adapt they will.

As we go about our days carrying a firearm we need to assess what might be the best way to carry for where we are going to be on any particular day.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Seriously Bro, You've been on this board for only a few months while I have been reading this stuff for years.
    I have been READING this forum for years. And I have never seen ONE post where someone said that NEVER has someone had a gun stolen while OC'ing. Just saying it has not been a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Here come the "I told you so's"
    Na, you beet me to it.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

just stopped by to say I was here because this is a subject that has no ending
    suntzu and Dumbledork like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links