Defensive Carry banner

Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er

11K views 84 replies 54 participants last post by  Harryball 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Strong hand on the gun, keeping it in place and drawing if possible, weak hand pummeling the attacker.

Reactions: Al Lowe and TN_Mike
#15 ·
I'm not against OC, but you had better have some kind of retention holster and training.
Two words - retention holster

Many criminals know how to defeat the retention holsters and all it does it buy you time and you need to know what to do next. There are specific ways to defend against an attack forcing the bad guy to let go and you keeping control of the gun in the holster. So like anything else, training, training, training.

#7 ·
I know it happens. Folks get robbed everyday with items that are in the open like purses. I was not trying to be a wise butt. Just hoping it does not turn into a OC vs CC. CC folks have in the past make a big deal that a risk of OCing is someone taking your weapon. Folks that OC are not oblivious to this fact. Hopefully if one chooses to OC then they do a risk assesment and understand the risk.

#12 ·
The predators are getting desperate.
Good reason to carry a BUG.
Would that be grounds for shooting said knuckledragger??

I would llike to think so.

#13 ·
I Open Carry all the time even with my CPL... I use a Level II Serpa Holster, and have Firearms retention training.... Don't Open carry unless you have retention holster,, good SA... and some training.

#16 ·
I am certainly not against open carry.

It is however my opinion that those who choose to open carry should seriously consider using at least a level II if not a level III retention holster.

Also, I would highly recommend getting training in weapon retention. Especially for the open carry crowd.

#19 ·
I told you so...

ok I actually didn't. even in CC I use some sort of retention, even if just a thumb strap. Were I to OC I would use at least a level 2 holster.

Would we all be in agreement that a grab attempt is equivalent to attempting serious bodily harm..?

#20 ·
“Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper

While a retention holster is a plus it IS NOT a substitute for retention training. And once again training is a personal responsibility as the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Further anyone attempting to disarm another is a deadly threat deserving of lethal use of force and should be subjected to a liberal dose of same.

#21 ·
A bunch of you said it-TRAINING! I will add that that training should include the use of your feet and knees. Also, a person with their hand on your gun is perfectly positioned for some sort of leverage against their wrist and elbow. Training-and I don't mean just a seminar but regular weekly training. The moves should be as practiced and second nature as your draw.

Reactions: RMS and fastk9dad
#22 ·
Don't let anyone within your space when you CC, much less OC. Don't let anyone within your space if you aren't carrying at all. Even simple things like standing in line... some appropriate body language broadcasts a clear message that you are up to date on your colon checkups. Conversely don't occupy other people's space.

#23 ·
I wouldn't say "I told you so", because it should be a choice given a person's individual strengths and weaknesses and training. I wouldn't open carry in public, because I am a weaker disabled woman. My LCP in my pocket is MY little secret. If someone is getting ready to accost me, they won't be prepared for my "little secret". I also wouldn't want them to attack me knowing I am armed. When I am home or in the yard...I feel no problem carrying open, but not out in public.

#25 ·
I'm not against open carry, there are places and times for it, but in public it tends to invite more than just stares. It puts you at a disadvantage and makes you a possible target. To each his own, but your SA should be at it's highest.

#26 ·
from the article - 'He was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt,'

Will Al Sharppen or the Black Panthers come to his defense since he was denied his 'rights' to 'mooch' the gun from a tax paying citizen?

#27 ·
If it's unseen, it's not a factor, until you choose it to be so.

Training, yes. Problem is most people don't have the time, or money, or both, or, just neglect to maintain a proficient level with just using the firearm.

Additionally, criminals, the kind who will take it from you, train for such things in prison. Prison is a university for them.
While we work to pay bills, and take the far and few between firearms courses, they have nothing, absolutely nothing to do, but figure out ways and train to become better at victimizing people.
So the retention holster is not the answer.

They see, they want, they take. Keep it hidden.

#28 ·
I have no objection to open carry, but I prefer concealed for the element of surprise. Most of us probably mingle amongst the public in condition yellow, so any advance by an attacker or robber will likely catch us partly by surprise. My belief is the way to answer a surprise like that is to have a surprise of your own.

As far as retention holsters go for open carry, I believe I could draw from concealment just as quickly as I could manipulate a retention device on an OC holster.

#29 ·
When I OC, I use a BlackHawk Serpa holster or a Tennessee Holster Co OWB holster, both have retention. I mostly OC on my own land, these 2 holsters are really good for when I am riding my horses, don't have to worry about where my gun is and if it's staying there, an IWB is very uncomfortable horse riding. Where I live, a lot of people OC all the time. I have taken a couple courses so I would have some skills if it came down to a 'grab' situation, I feel confident I would handle it ok. I wish there were more dvd's or vids available on this kind of training. When I am heading to a larger town/city, I always CC.

CD

#30 ·
Don't Open carry unless you have retention holster,, good SA... and some training.

No I told you so's here. As Glockman said the retention holster is a tool the training and awareness level is what will come through in a crunch.

#31 ·
I used to work in Ypsilanti, and I can tell you first hand, that it would be one of my last choices for where I would OC. Also, if I have to carry a BUG in order to feel more "comfortable" OC-ing, as some of you suggested, then what's the point? And lastly, statistically speaking, this (particular gun grab) probably does not/should not deter those of you who are or are leaning towards OC-ing, but it should make you think twice about it, or at least, where you OC.

Reactions: MisterAvis
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.