Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er - Page 6

Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er

This is a discussion on Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Captain, first welcome to the forum. Secondly you are assuming that another person would react to a gun grab by assisting. It has been shown ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Unarmed man attempts gun grab on OC'er

VIP Member
    Captain, first welcome to the forum.

Secondly you are assuming that another person would react to a gun grab by assisting. It has been shown on this forum that many would not, they carry to protect themselves and not a third party this even includes intervening in actual active shooter situations like those at Cracker Barrel and other places. I am not saying anything bad about them it is there choice plain and simple.
    Another aspect to consider is that while yes it would be nice to know you would have help in a situation like that what kind of help are you going to get? Will the other person panic and draw there weapon? Will they come rushing in so assist only to lose yet another weapon because they are not prepared to physically defend themselves?

In a perfect world it would be great to think that folks would come to the aid of others in the face of adversity but unfortunately it probably won't happen.

I do agree totally with part of your post in that you must exercise these rights responsibly by showing a quiet professionalism when OC'ing and having an increased level of situational awareness at all times.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thanks for the welcome, Tac.

Polls and surverys will show what they show.... I can't speak for everyone, that is clear. People carry to defend themselves and their loved ones - I agree. But I would say that if I am walking with my family down the street, and someone suffers from a gun grab attempt - it follows that if the BG is successful - my family is in danger. The time to act is as soon as possible to minimize that. Then again - that is just my perspective. In a perfect world we would all carry, there would be no BGs and it would be all moot. Pity that it isn't perfect.

Regardless of what others do - anytime we carry it is up to us to make sure we are as prepared as possible for whatever may happen - a grab attempt included.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    And on a side note, Thank God we do not live in Indiana anymore.
    Well, at least we agree on something.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

This is exactly why I do not open carry in urban enviroments and areas that have a lot of people
    traffic. I only open carry when I'm doing outdoor activities like hunting, camping, sometimes
    fishing. Even though the odds of someone actually making a grab for my gun are small, things
    like this incident do happen and I want to avoid a confrontation like what happened here.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

I choose not to go through the additional retention training required for me to feel comfortable with open carry. And, if I did open carry I wouldn't hope for another to come to my aid to help me retain my weapon. The young advocate for weapons rights is indeed lucky he didn't have the embarrassment of having to report his gun was taken from him... As it was, he still looks a bit the fool, and makes a poor representative for OC (having needed the help of a third party to retain his own weapon).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Events like this make me face-palm.

This is just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I choose not to go through the additional retention training required for me to feel comfortable with open carry. And, if I did open carry I wouldn't hope for another to come to my aid to help me retain my weapon. The young advocate for weapons rights is indeed lucky he didn't have the embarrassment of having to report his gun was taken from him... As it was, he still looks a bit the fool, and makes a poor representative for OC (having needed the help of a third party to retain his own weapon).
    Oak, concealed or open carry, you should do some retention training. It may never come up, but if it does you will be grateful for it. Just a recommendation.
    suntzu and carracer like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Oak, concealed or open carry, you should do some retention training. It may never come up, but if it does you will be grateful for it. Just a recommendation.
    Right on! And, if I may add... situation awareness cannot be mentioned enough or practised enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Right on! And, if I may add... situation awareness cannot be mentioned enough or practised enough.
    I have trained in weapon retention of a drawn weapon. Holstered and concealed for me, not so much.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I have trained in weapon retention of a drawn weapon. Holstered and concealed for me, not so much.
    You really should do it while concealed. Its something that will take you out of your comfort zone, but in the end is very worth while...JMO....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links