Going to open carry for first time

This is a discussion on Going to open carry for first time within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 Never had a problem in northern KY or Cincinnati! Coming from someone who used to live in Ohio, I am quite ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Going to open carry for first time

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Never had a problem in northern KY or Cincinnati!
    Coming from someone who used to live in Ohio, I am quite surprised you didn't have a negative encounter in Cincinnati.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

You could try it sometime when the wife isn't along. That way she doesn't have to be embarrassed or uncomfortable and you will see first-hand if you like it or not. Both sides have credible arguments. You may be targeted because you have a gun or you may look like an unarmed soft target. I personally do both, depending on how I'm dressed and where I'm going. Yesterday started CC and as it warmed up and my coat came off it became OC. I was very self conscious the first few times but now it doesn't bother me at all. I try to be considerate about where I'm going and what type of crowd I'm likely to be around but I don't get hung up on the occasional dirty look. I peacefully go about my business and if it ruins their day then it's their problem. OC or CC, carry on and be safe!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Coming from someone who used to live in Ohio, I am quite surprised you didn't have a negative encounter in Cincinnati.
    PNC in West Chester allowed it but the customers complained to the Branch Manager; he told them I was within the law.

The only time someone said anything to me was in Colorado at a gas station. I was cleaning my windshield when another guy and his family from Pennsylvania asked if was expecting trouble. I said "no just stupid comments"!

I was amazed that someone would approach an armed person and make idiotic comments about my open carry.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    carracer likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    PNC in West Chester allowed it but the customers complained to the Branch Manager; he told them I was within the law.

The only time someone said anything to me was in Colorado at a gas station. I was cleaning my windshield when another guy and his family from Pennsylvania asked if was expecting trouble. I said "no just stupid comments"!

I was amazed that someone would approach an armed person and make idiotic comments about my open carry.

I read through a bunch of OC stories before I decided to OC, and I was also amazed at people who would harass OCers (I said harass because they would yell at the OCer or follow them around antagonizing them). They are either very brave or very stupid, and I think it is the latter.
    carracer likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I understand your feelings.
    Here in FL, CC only (most of the time)...
    On a trip up to IN, I decided to OC in GA, TN, and KY (can't do that in IN).
    I never got as much as a 'look' anywhere...I expected more (not sure what), but I was surprised.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They are either very brave or very stupid, and I think it is the latter.
    Why?

smolck...

Could it be that common sense dictates you don't antagonize someone with the power to kill you in a few short seconds? While thankfully the vast majority of OC'ers are mature adults who can handle the idiocy of others, we don't live in an ideal world.and the person that decides to heckle/antagonize an armed person (or even an unarmed person) might just make the mistake of choosing the wrong one. We would like to think that its not something to consider - but our actions have an effect on others - and we need to be aware of that and know that we can handle the idiocy before we carry. I have heard my share of taunts - people trying to "sound big" around an armed guy, talking smack because they know that if I react, I am the one that is going to pay. The only way THEY pay is if I actually shoot them. Which I won't due unless there is justifiable cause. Depending on where you live and the viewpoints of people in your area, you can run into all kinds of responses. Being uneducated about gun rights is not the only idiocy some in the general public suffer from.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Why?
    My answer would match with CaptainHaplo's. What idiot starts an argument with someone who is visibly armed?? They obviously have no restraint, so why would they expect the armed person to?
    Last edited by Badey; April 30th, 2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I had a guy ask me at 5am at a gas station. "How's life in the wild west?" This was today. I was just giving a friend a ride to work and needed coffee. Only second time.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
    smolck...

Could it be that common sense dictates you don't antagonize someone with the power to kill you in a few short seconds? While thankfully the vast majority of OC'ers are mature adults who can handle the idiocy of others, we don't live in an ideal world.and the person that decides to heckle/antagonize an armed person (or even an unarmed person) might just make the mistake of choosing the wrong one. We would like to think that its not something to consider - but our actions have an effect on others - and we need to be aware of that and know that we can handle the idiocy before we carry. I have heard my share of taunts - people trying to "sound big" around an armed guy, talking smack because they know that if I react, I am the one that is going to pay. The only way THEY pay is if I actually shoot them. Which I won't due unless there is justifiable cause. Depending on where you live and the viewpoints of people in your area, you can run into all kinds of responses. Being uneducated about gun rights is not the only idiocy some in the general public suffer from.
    Okay, but isn't your response supportive of the anti-gun crowd's reason they don't want to allow OC in the first place?

Administrator
    They would just be a Pain In The Ass and not necessarily brave or stupid. If they yell at somebody that is OCing or follow them around making antagonizing statements - should they be afraid that they are going to be shot by the OC individual?

No. Of course nobody that is open carrying a firearm is going to shoot them for simply yelling nasty, snippy, mocking, comments...and following an open carry person around and making antagonizing comments is not going to get them shot either....so what do they need to be stupidly afraid of?

Nothing.

Because the person carrying the firearm would be even less likely to physically confront them (than the average JOE on the street) because he or she has "weapon/firearm retention" to be concerned about in addition to just being the sort of person that does not go out looking for a fight.

You would be amazed at how many people are not intimidated by the sight of a firearm. Of course the Sheeple ARE but, there are bunches of others who would take it as a fun confrontational challenge.

Especially if they are intoxicated or on drugs or in a gang.

And IF you get confronted by one or more individuals who mock you and harass for thinking that you're being "bad ass" with a gun and they goad you and want to know what (expletives) you're going to do about it.

That's when you have to ask yourself..."What ARE you going to DO about it?"

What if all you want to do is just get away from them and they follow you? Do you intend to draw on them? You can't legally do that.

You could call 911 I guess...but, what if 4 of them say that they were just walking by & that you mistakenly thought one of them made a comment about you and you yanked your gun out on them and threatened them with it.

Then it's 4 against one. And since nobody can judge anybody these days based on how they look - even if they look slimy and you look spanky neat and clean...it's still 4 against one - your word against their word.

These are just real life things that you need to consider and ponder when you go visibly armed.

Of course I am hoping that you never have to go through anything like that but, stuff occasionally happens.

I read through a bunch of OC stories before I decided to OC, and I was also amazed at people who would harass OCers (I said harass because they would yell at the OCer or follow them around antagonizing them). They are either very brave or very stupid, and I think it is the latter.
    smolck likes this.

If the law allows it, then you should not have a problem with others doing it.

P95
    Well....it seems like as long as the wife is around...you don't need to carry.....LOL....just kidding now.
    barstoolguru likes this.

some loser criminal better have a lot of balls to try to rob someone for their pistol. I do not believe this happens as much as people here worry about it.
    toughen up and pull the string

CARRY ON!

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post
    some loser criminal better have a lot of balls to try to rob someone for their pistol. I do not believe this happens as much as people here worry about it.
    toughen up and pull the string

CARRY ON!

if it happens once that’s too many, the ripple effect is the problem. Look what it did for other states that had it and people abused it and then it got repealed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links