Question concerning NC State or Federal OC law regarding financial institutions

Question concerning NC State or Federal OC law regarding financial institutions

This is a discussion on Question concerning NC State or Federal OC law regarding financial institutions within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before this gets out of hand, let me say I am asking this because I work for a bank and was discussing/debating this topic with ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By TheShadow

Thread: Question concerning NC State or Federal OC law regarding financial institutions

Question Question concerning NC State or Federal OC law regarding financial institutions

Before this gets out of hand, let me say I am asking this because I work for a bank and was discussing/debating this topic with a few of our regional folks - specifically to help determine if our branches need to have a sticker marking no firearms allowed, or get our branch staff up to speed....... (I support open carry, but I know the staff at these places and would NOT advise anyone to carry - they would freak out and hit panic buttons due to lack of education.)

Are there any federal or NC state statutes that prohibit OC in a financial institution IF the entry is not marked appropriately?

I am aware that CCW specifically EXCLUDES financial institutions, but that is concealed, not open.

A couple of the senior execs were of the impression that Federal law prohibits firearms in any manner inside a Federally regulated financial entity, but they could not provide any direction to source this viewpoint. I have been unable to find anything that backs that opinion as well.

Being a large group - we have institutions all throughout the land, and I see what looks like a lack of due diligence on the part of senior management to take into account differing state laws. I would rather see us have a policy and have everyone on the same page - allowed or not, than see one of my fellow OC'ers get hassled because of a lack of direction because something was not posted or a branch person freaked.

I am asking because I can't do an exhaustive search on my own - but here is what I have found:

Q: Where is it prohibited to carry my firearm in NC?
    States open carry is allowed - but is dated 2011

Law Preventing Firearms In Financial Institutions - Dan Persfull
    States that Indiana enacted a law stating that a bank can limit carrying on their own

Both of these would lead me to think that there is no federal regulation of the matter, and that the only restriction is on concealed firearms in NC.
    If you have input - help a brother out! The more I info I can give to these folks, the better it will be for us all - regardless of which decision they make.

First, there are no federal laws prohibiting carry either open or concealed in financial institutions except for ones owned and operated by the feds.

Second, you are incorrect as of December of 2011 on financial institution carry in NC you CAN carry concealed in financial institutions unless they are posted no firearms. You can also open carry unless posted. NC Statute 14-415.11 was amended to allow concealed carry in a financial institution unless posted.

I will add, who do you think will follow the wishes of you posting a bank as a no carry zone? Think the people that intend to do wrong will turn around and walk away if posted?

If you truly have the opportunity to change the views of management by bringing this point to life and maybe realize that a legally armed citizen is not a threat and may well be an asset in the worst of times.
    beararms likes this.

I'll add one more post, if you are near the Hickory area and would like face to face help with this I will volunteer my services. I am both an NRA instructor as well as a North Carolina certified concealed carry instructor. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Great info NC - thank you VERY much. Accurate info is critical in this.

A couple of the senior execs were of the impression that Federal law prohibits firearms in any manner inside a Federally regulated financial entity, but they could not provide any direction to source this viewpoint. I have been unable to find anything that backs that opinion as well.
    NC Bullseye is correct on this. No federal law.

Each state will need to be separately researched.

Colorado has no law prohibiting OC or CC in financial institutions, however, a financial institution may post their own prohibition using signage that is not specified by law.

Oklahoma is the same, but signage has force of law and no specific requirements.

Texas is the same, but signage must conform to Texas State 30.06.

More can be found here: Handgunlaw.us

Also in CO they would have to install metal detectors at all entrys.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
    ...specifically to help determine if our branches need to have a sticker marking no firearms allowed
    NC signage laws are very frustrating to me. I live 10mi from the NC border and frequently visit my former home state. NC law states that no weapons signs must be "conspicuous" that's it! It could be written in crayon on a gum wrapper, scotch taped to the entrance and It carries weight!
    Last edited by TheShadow; April 25th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

NC Bullseye is spot on. FWIW, I know him personally and know exactly how educated in NC law he is and how much he keeps up with it. There has never been a restriction on OC in banks in NC, even pre CC law change. Before December of 2011 the state specifically prohibited CC in a financial institution. Now, they have changed that and CC is allowed unless the individual bank posts.

Just to make your life easier, here is a link to the statute he posted. It's the CC scope of permit, where the bank restriction used to be. Note that it is absent now.

GS_14-415.11

And to add 18 USC 930 is the code for regulating possession of firearms if Fed facilities.

18 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

And 18 part 1 chapter 44- firearms

18 USC Chapter 44 - FIREARMS | LII / Legal Information Institute
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    NC signage laws are very frustrating to me. I live 10mi from the NC border and frequently visit my former home state. NC law states that no weapons signs must be "conspicuous" that's it! It could be written in crayon on a gum wrapper, scotch taped to the entrance and It carries weight!
    Not only that, it seems the signs do not have to be on the door, but, can be placed in a long list of facility rules somewhere that you have to walk past.

I still visit family in NC and get very frustrated when I do because of the differences in carry laws. NC is just so-so when it comes to carrying. Virginia (lived last 14 years) was very gun-friendly. Now living in Florida, it is very similar to Virginia (other than no OC except when hunting or fishing). I always have to visit handgunlaw.us.org for several days before I travel...have even printed out the states I'll be traveling through.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links