Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery - Page 10

Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

This is a discussion on Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; interesting developments since I checked this last as for the lawsuit....I think the security guard is a slam dunk, but since the officers were going ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

VIP Member
    interesting developments since I checked this last

as for the lawsuit....I think the security guard is a slam dunk, but since the officers were going off the complaint initiated by the SG and off a arrest order by the judge, that part will be quite a bit different

I hope the city realizes that the people can carry there in the park and get over their phobia
    Badey likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Hope he wins the lawsuit.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Well he can sue the SG but not the officers not saying he will win but he can sue all he wants. They contacted a magistrate who issued and agreed the PC to arrest was there so the responsibility falls to the judge and a judge cannot be sued.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well he can sue the SG but not the officers not saying he will win but he can sue all he wants. They contacted a magistrate who issued and agreed the PC to arrest was there so the responsibility falls to the judge and a judge cannot be sued.
    That is a shame...cops and judge should be able to sue...cops because the detained him while contacting the magistrate (why hold him if the cops did not know if it waas OK? If the LEO does not know the law or how to apply it in a situation they should not be able to detain anyone) and the magistrate for being a buffoon.

I know, folks don't like to hear that but I am sick and tired of LEO's arresting folks looking for a charge. If thee is none that they know of then they must not detain the person.
    Badey likes this.

A judge cannot be sued, but a magistrate can be deposed.
    It could easily be that what the magistrate was told was 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'... or the magistrate could have been told something completely different.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That is a shame...cops and judge should be able to sue...cops because the detained him while contacting the magistrate (why hold him if the cops did not know if it waas OK? If the LEO does not know the law or how to apply it in a situation they should not be able to detain anyone) and the magistrate for being a buffoon.

I know, folks don't like to hear that but I am sick and tired of LEO's arresting folks looking for a charge. If thee is none that they know of then they must not detain the person.
    You're right, if the cops don't know they shouldn't make arrest. Make a report if need be. If it meets the qualifications a warrant will be issued.

I'm not sure of GA, but I know in some states when officers have someone detained the officers contact a magistrate to get an arrest warrant for certain level offenses when the allegation is based on a 3rd party witness/victim. I don't know if thats what happened here or not but it may be the way its done with certain charges. It may be completely legit for them to call the judge for the arrest, each state is different.

Since you're from Texas, I'll go further... we can arrest without a warrant for a felony level charge, on-view offenses if its a misdemeanor, any level crime of: domestic violence, to prevent the consequences of theft, and disruption of the peace. Example: If I arrive at a call for trespassing and the person in charge of the property says they told the suspect to leave and they refused, and were still on scene, and the victim wants to press charges, then its on on-view offense and I can arrest. We don't contact magistrates/judges for this in Texas.
    It will be nice for all of us when a full report comes out with ALL the details.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    You're right, if the cops don't know they shouldn't make arrest. Make a report if need be. If it meets the qualifications a warrant will be issued.

I'm not sure of GA, but I know in some states when officers have someone detained the officers contact a magistrate to get an arrest warrant for certain level offenses when the allegation is based on a 3rd party witness/victim. I don't know if thats what happened here or not but it may be the way its done with certain charges. It may be completely legit for them to call the judge for the arrest, each state is different.

Since you're from Texas, I'll go further... we can arrest without a warrant for a felony level charge, on-view offenses if its a misdemeanor, any level crime of: domestic violence, to prevent the consequences of theft, and disruption of the peace. Example: If I arrive at a call for trespassing and the person in charge of the property says they told the suspect to leave and they refused, and were still on scene, and the victim wants to press charges, then its on on-view offense and I can arrest. We don't contact magistrates/judges for this in Texas.
    It will be nice for all of us when a full report comes out with ALL the details.
    Actually I just moved to Texas a week ago. I came from NH where I lived for six years and before that was active army for 23 years

VIP Member
    Actually I just moved to Texas a week ago. I came from NH where I lived for six years and before that was active army for 23 years
    well, you're from Texas now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

sgb
    Hey Neighbor
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A monetary offer was made on behalf of Plaza Security and its employee Reid Hanna to drop Mr. Hanna from the civil suit. Said offer was accepted with a conventionality agreement of a small penalty to be paid should the details be released to third-parties without permission.

The civil suit against Officers Adam G. Bell and Rodney Dantzler is still proceeding.

That should be "confidentiality agreement" instead of conventionality, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Mayor to carriers: I would prefer that you not bring your guns - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com
    This part is really nice

Mayor Pirkle added that users of Sugar Hill's parks can avoid arrest "by leaving the gun at home, keeping it concealed, or simply having a rational discussion with the security guard or police officer and letting them know" that you are exercising your legal rights and mean no harm to anybody in the park.

Fall in line people, fall in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Nope, they were both idiots. The OCer will pay for being a jerk while CARRYING, and not having his CPL correct. We both know, that if your not playing by the rules, you can get burned. I would think a smart man would have his ducks in a row, if he were going to carry a gun. (either CC or OC)
    Harry, I'm not sure how much you thought I was going to pay, but if it's a monetary amount then ... hmm... what's the word for the opposite of 'having to pay'? Is it getting paid? Well, if that's correct, then I was paid about $6,500 by the law firm representing Mr Hanna. That's the amount Mr Hanna's three minute call to the police department cost. And I guess his employers had to throw a few dimes towards the law firm which represented Sugar Hill, Plaza Security and Mr. Hanna as well.
    Chump change admittedly, but it did recently pay for a nice picnic, a very nice picnic.

Speaking of picnics, yesterday 20 April, marked the one year anniversary of the great Gary Pirkle Park trespassing arrest. A little over a dozen openly armed men and women (and a few of their unarmed rug rats) gathered at the park for a picnic and some ball tossing. Despite the dozen openly carried firearms there was no response by any officers of the Gwinnett County Police Department. There was little doubt that the openly carried firearms were seen by not only the party of 30-something sharing the same picnic pavilion but the estimated 100 men and women watching their children play lacrosse on the field not 30 feet from the festivities.

I'm left to wonder....
    Was a single armed citizen more terrifying to the Gwinnet County PD than were a dozen armed individuals?
    Were a dozen armed citizens too terrifying for the GCPD to risk a response?
    Was the GCPD unwilling to risk another lawsuit?

PEF, I wonder if Mayor Pirkle of Sugar Hill (for whom Gary Pirkle Park is named) is aware that his city can avoid paying out tens of thousands of dollars "by leaving peaceful people in peace, not responding to legal conduct with accusations of illegality, not being trying to push people who are willing to push back."

My duckies are smart, well aligned, and quite willing to fight when provoked. Leave the poor duckies alone and no one gets bit.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thPoint View Post
    A judge cannot be sued, but a magistrate can be deposed.
    It could easily be that what the magistrate was told was 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'... or the magistrate could have been told something completely different.
    Not necessarily correct. A Judge cannot be sued under normal circumstances over a faulty ruling. However they can be sued for evident wrong doing, negligent actions from the Bench and other things. If a Judge were to do something so blantantly wrong that he was to be disbarred, he could be sued over that action.

Also, a District Attorney is pretty much exempt from being sued but they do get sued. One area DA got sued for misuse of community funds a while back.

But there is little law on the books that says a Judge may not be sued.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post

PEF, I wonder if Mayor Pirkle of Sugar Hill (for whom Gary Pirkle Park is named) is aware that his city can avoid paying out tens of thousands of dollars "by leaving peaceful people in peace, not responding to legal conduct with accusations of illegality, not being trying to push people who are willing to push back."

My duckies are smart, well aligned, and quite willing to fight when provoked. Leave the poor duckies alone and no one gets bit.
    I expect the fine Mayor is beginning to learn the lesson!

It is unfortunate this happened to you, but the stand that you have made will benefit many after you.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    This "joe319" character should check his attitude. If he is indeed a LEO, the fact alone that he's posting on that thread is proof he doesnt get the idea that even police officers are not above the law, nor even cares. And these are the LEO's I worry about.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links