Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery - Page 2

Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

This is a discussion on Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this about proving a point or about Money, since he is suing the three individuals and not the employer or the city. IMO it ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Is this about proving a point or about Money, since he is suing the three individuals and not the employer or the city. IMO it sounds like he was being a jerk about it, and to prove a point. And if I'm worng and it is about the money then he is no better then all the other sue happy people this world!
    wrearick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Is this about proving a point or about Money, since he is suing the three individuals and not the employer or the city. IMO it sounds like he was being a jerk about it, and to prove a point. And if I'm worng and it is about the money then he is no better then all the other sue happy people this world!
    I agree with that! But I guess what torques me is that even if he was looking for a confrontation like many of these morons. Why give them the chance? From what we know he did not do anything to draw attention to himself except his firearm. Security guard went to him. And LEO's do it all the time also. They don't come up to me when I am at a red light and ask to see my drivers liscene. Why do they have to do it with a guy OC'ing with no probable cause. Because it is uncommon is not probable cuase.
    sid1 and wrearick like this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I agree with that! But I guess what torques me is that even if he was looking for a confrontation like many of these morons. Why give them the chance? From what we know he did not do anything to draw attention to himself except his firearm. Security guard went to him. And LEO's do it all the time also. They don't come up to me when I am at a red light and ask to see my drivers liscene. Why do they have to do it with a guy OC'ing with no probable cause. Because it is uncommon is not probable cuase.
    Yes, good point. But I would also like to add that If I would OC, I also would expect to be confronted by some type of LEO at some point. But I can only speak for my area here is Wisconsin where it's not a common practice. Thanks for pointing that out.

IMHO he is a tool, regardless of whether it was for "Attention" or "Money". He loses either way. What a fool.
    suntzu, OD* and 64zebra like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    I think he got just what he wanted...call it entrapment, or "trolling for a confrontation"...
    Shouldn't the officers be trained not to give folks what they want if it is illegal to do so?
    If a citizen breaks the law and claims that he thought what he was doing was legal we would all be jumping on him. Telling him that ignorance of the law was no excuse. However when the thinks a citizen is breaking the law when in actuality he is following the law we do not tel the government that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Instead we blame the person who was wrongly arrested. We say that this citizen was tricking this supposedly highly trained officer into falsely arresting him.

The government cannot be allowed to claim that ignorance of the law is no excuse when a citizen proclaims it. Then when the table is turned try to use it to protect themselves when they do wrong.
    The two men argued until Hanna told Proescher he was being "thrown out of the park" for being rude and carrying a firearm, according to the lawsuit. Hanna also had called the police to report a suspicious person; Gwinnett County police Officers Adam Bell and Rodney Dantzler responded.
    This makes me believe that the officer did indeed know the law and was trying to deny the person the ability to exercise a right that the officer did not approve of. Otherwise instead of threatening to throw him out of the park he would have arrested him instantly.

Now I feel the need to go turn myself in for 'trolling for a confrontation' last night. I was driving 29 mph in a 30 mph speed zone. I am just lucky that I wasn't dragged off my bike and taken to jail. If that wasn't an attempt at entrapment on my part I don't know what is.

Michael
    MleeC, gigamortis and wrearick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Yes, good point. But I would also like to add that If I would OC, I also would expect to be confronted by some type of LEO at some point. But I can only speak for my area here is Wisconsin where it's not a common practice. Thanks for pointing that out.
    I have no problem with being asked what I am doing. It can and should be done in a professional way. I have been stopped when openly carrying a firearm when walking out of town to go shooting. It was never confrontational just a courteous stop and question by the officers involved.

P.S. In my State there is no open carry but you are allowed to take your firearm hunting and not everyone drives a car.

Michael
    sid1 likes this.

Its people like this that hurt the OC movement. There are very good people in the OC movement, that carry for there defense, not for the show or attention. This guy is a moron.
    64zebra likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Its people like this that hurt the OC movement. There are very good people in the OC movement, that carry for there defense, not for the show or attention. This guy is a moron.
    I can't say for sure what his motives are but I tend to agree that he does us no good.
    However, as much as I hate to I feel I must stand up for his rights as his right to do what he did is tied directly to my right to carry. What is the alternative? Do we allow the government to decide a persons intent before allowing them to exercise their rights?
    No, I believe that we must suffer the fools for the same rights that protect them also protect us.

Michael

VIP Member
    But is there not a right way to do it?

This guy admits that he intentionally argued with the security officer and had no respect for his authority. When the police arrive he won't even give his actual date of birth. If he had displayed an intelligent, rational verbage to both the park security officer and the LEO I am sure this would have turned out differently.

I fully support the right to carry in whatever way you want when legal, but, these type tactics will not work it has been proven in California with the loss of handgun OC rights and now wth OC'ing long guns. They want attention for the cause, great got it, but you do not want to attract negative attention that hurts your own cause either.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I can't say for sure what his motives are but I tend to agree that he does us no good.
    However, as much as I hate to I feel I must stand up for his rights as his right to do what he did is tied directly to my right to carry. What is the alternative? Do we allow the government to decide a persons intent before allowing them to exercise their rights?
    No, I believe that we must suffer the fools for the same rights that protect them also protect us.

Michael
    Did you read his post on the other forum about the recording devise? Personally, based on that post, I think I understand his intent. Seeking a confrontation is never a good idea, whether your exercising a right or not.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Did you read his post on the other forum about the recording devise? Personally, based on that post, I think I understand his intent. Seeking a confrontation is never a good idea, whether your exercising a right or not.
    Understood and I agree he was a probably tool. However my question remains the same. How do you allow his rights to be taken away or further restricted without jeopardizing your own?

Michael
    Last edited by mlr1m; May 5th, 2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: added the word probably
    Hopyard and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Understood and I agree he was a probably tool. However my question remains the same. How do you allow his rights to be taken away or further restricted without jeopardizing your own?

Michael
    I understand that he was arrested for criminal trespass. Im not sure of Georgia Law, but as I see it, he still has his rights. Him pulling a stunt like this not only jeopardizes my rights, but yours too. I think people do more harm to gun rights, pulling stunts like this, than the other way around.

If this guy orchestrated this then it was indeed a "jerky" thing to do. You can be in the right and go about it in a very wrong way.

It would be like me walking down the street in a very bad part of town late at night and "disrespecting" the inhabitants with slurs and making fun of their "Mamas". Then when they come after me...drawing my weapon and "mowing" down a few.
    Was I in fear of my life? YOU BET YA. Did I ask (or even beg) for it. YEP . Makes my being "justified" null and void.

I would expect one of two outcomes. Either a long stay at a prison facility OR a "state of the art" Mental Institution. Either richly deserved.
    sid1 likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I understand that he was arrested for criminal trespass. Im not sure of Georgia Law, but as I see it, he still has his rights. Him pulling a stunt like this not only jeopardizes my rights, but yours too. I think people do more harm to gun rights, pulling stunts like this, than the other way around.
    Seems he was in the process of leaving when asked and the LEO stopped him. Seems that the only reason he stuck around after being asked was because he was being detained. If he started leaving immediately when asked by the security guard that hardly seems like criminal trespass. When he left is the big question I guess. How many cases of criminal trespass or disorderly conduct are in reality contempt of cop or just having nothing else to charge them with?

And what exactly was the stunt? Carrying a recorder in case you are wrongly stopped for a lawful activity? Being somewhere you allowed to be while participating in an activity you are allowed to participate in? People keep talking about trolling, stunts, tools, ad nauseam. I guess we should all stay home or risk being labeled for our actions? That does not fly with me. When we allow people to be run over by the system for simply doing what they are lawfully allowed to do we all loose. He likely sued the individuals because they took actions that ran contrary to what the law says. You can be held personally liable for a mistake like that. I guess if he sued the PD folks would complain that he is taking tax money too.
    gigamortis and wrearick like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Seems he was in the process of leaving when asked and the LEO stopped him. Seems that the only reason he stuck around after being asked was because he was being detained. If he started leaving immediately when asked by the security guard that hardly seems like criminal trespass. When he left is the big question I guess. How many cases of criminal trespass or disorderly conduct are in reality contempt of cop or just having nothing else to charge them with?

And what exactly was the stunt? Carrying a recorder in case you are wrongly stopped for a lawful activity? Being somewhere you allowed to be while participating in an activity you are allowed to participate in? People keep talking about trolling, stunts, tools, ad nauseam. I guess we should all stay home or risk being labeled for our actions? That does not fly with me. When we allow people to be run over by the system for simply doing what they are lawfully allowed to do we all loose. He likely sued the individuals because they took actions that ran contrary to what the law says. You can be held personally liable for a mistake like that. I guess if he sued the PD folks would complain that he is taking tax money too.
    The stunt, carrying a audio recorder. I guess for most of us in the world we dont strap on, grab the recorder and go out into the world looking for a reason to be an ass to others. Then recording the incident to prove that we were wronged. This type of mentality is just want the antis need to prove there cause, that all carriers OC and CC are just out to make a point. I didnt work in cali, and I fear it could bleed over to other states as well.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links