Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

This is a discussion on Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OC'ing is the NOT the need to show everyone your gun, it is the feeling there is a NEED to hide it....

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

OC'ing is the NOT the need to show everyone your gun, it is the feeling there is a NEED to hide it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

I think I get what you are saying Eagleks, and I have said the same thing in other words. I am not ashamed that I carry a gun so I am not scared to OC. Those that are so anti-OC seem to me to be ashamed that they carry. Afraid that they will offend someone if it is known that they carry. I find that it is very similar to those who are so vehemently anti-gay. Those that protest the loudest tend to be closet homosexuals themselves. And I believe that those who protest the loudest against OC tend to be closet anti-gun types as well. Along the same lines as Jayne Fonda, when asked why she was so anti-gun but owned one she responded, that's for other people not me.

I had an instructor once tell me that those who thought no one could be trusted with a gun but the police and Military often felt this way because they didn't trust themselves with a gun. It's called transference. They were transferring their distrust in their own ability to be safe with a gun onto everyone else, because they are the smartest person they know and since they can't be trusted to do the right thing then obviously no one can. I think the anti-OC crowd falls into this category as well.
    goldshellback and luvmy40 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Please understand I am fine with OC and I support your right to do so. I personally don't.

But this is the worst excuse I hear to justify OC. With today's holsters and belts, ANY kind of carry can be comfortable. Hell, I even carry my 1911 OWB under just a T-shirt sometimes, nobody ever notices (cause it's THIN)
    Well, you picked on just one of my excuses, when I have 2 others, much better than the first. However, the REAL reason I OC is because I can.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

To say that the open carry person was being an idiot, etc., with the security guard is ridiculous. Keep in mind the security guard is not law enforcement. If you want to give fault place it upon the security guard for not knowing the law concerning weapons in the park. Also at fault is the company he works for by not properly training the guard.

In the end the guard "came up" (just as some law enforcement officers do) with the open carry person being "rude" and wanted to remove him from the park. Also the fact that his ignorance to the law concerning weapons in the park.

I vote the guard as being rude.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    To say that the open carry person was being an idiot, etc., with the security guard is ridiculous. Keep in mind the security guard is not law enforcement. If you want to give fault place it upon the security guard for not knowing the law concerning weapons in the park. Also at fault is the company he works for by not properly training the guard.

In the end the guard "came up" (just as some law enforcement officers do) with the open carry person being "rude" and wanted to remove him from the park. Also the fact that his ignorance to the law concerning weapons in the park.

I vote the guard as being rude.
    Having worked in the security industry on and off for over 25 years, I can attest to the ignorance that a large percentage have with regard to firearms and the laws governing them. Considering the responsibility that many of them are given, you'd think that more training would be required. But honestly, depending on the state you're in, security guard training can vary from none, to nearly as much as LEOs receive. Unfortunately, I think the vast majority receive none.
    Last edited by Al Lowe; May 9th, 2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: misspelled "you're"

VIP Member
    Those that protest the loudest tend to be closet homosexuals themselves. And I believe that those who protest the loudest against OC tend to be closet anti-gun types as well.

Wow that is a pretty bold statement anything to back it up?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

well if you want an example of a ccw doing something illegal with a gun top this one. The shooter was arrested and did have a ccw. Fort Smith Officer Shot, Injured - Local News Story - KHBS NW Arkansas
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Those that protest the loudest tend to be closet homosexuals themselves. And I believe that those who protest the loudest against OC tend to be closet anti-gun types as well.

Wow that is a pretty bold statement anything to back it up?
    I missed that comment, who are you quoting?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Badey, TnMike post #92.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Nightsonge I am a bit confused. So you are saying the guy who shot the officer had a CCW? A crook is a crook he either got through the system or did not have a record when he got the permit.

Obviously there is more to the story is there a follow up article?

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I think I get what you are saying Eagleks, and I have said the same thing in other words. I am not ashamed that I carry a gun so I am not scared to OC. Those that are so anti-OC seem to me to be ashamed that they carry. Afraid that they will offend someone if it is known that they carry. I find that it is very similar to those who are so vehemently anti-gay. Those that protest the loudest tend to be closet homosexuals themselves. And I believe that those who protest the loudest against OC tend to be closet anti-gun types as well. Along the same lines as Jayne Fonda, when asked why she was so anti-gun but owned one she responded, that's for other people not me.

I had an instructor once tell me that those who thought no one could be trusted with a gun but the police and Military often felt this way because they didn't trust themselves with a gun. It's called transference. They were transferring their distrust in their own ability to be safe with a gun onto everyone else, because they are the smartest person they know and since they can't be trusted to do the right thing then obviously no one can. I think the anti-OC crowd falls into this category as well.
    Thank you, doctor.

I'm not ashamed that I carry. I am, in fact, rather proud that I have the good sense not to give up the tactical advantage of CC.
    I am quite aware that everyone that I encounter in my day to day travels is not a gun nut, and some people may even be uncomfortable with the presence of a deadly weapon in a social situation where there is no need to have one displayed. As I have no purpose in carrying a weapon, other than to defend innocent life, CC suits me well. I don't have a need to "preach my religion," so to speak, everywhere that I go. If consideration of others is not your thing, that's fine.
    And I assure you, after carrying a weapon for 20+ years as an LEO without incident, and now as a private citizen, I have no problem with trusting myself with a weapon. If anyone has a trust issue, it's someone who thinks he needs to wear an exposed gun to scare away bad people. I'm sure there's a psychological observation in there somewhere, but I'll leave it up to the internet amateur psychiatrists to make a diagnosis.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Badey, TnMike post #92.
    Post 92 is not worth a response.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Post 92 is not worth a response.

Crowman and I thought it was just me.

Vaquero 45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Thank you, doctor.

I'm not ashamed that I carry. I am, in fact, rather proud that I have the good sense not to give up the tactical advantage of CC.
    I am quite aware that everyone that I encounter in my day to day travels is not a gun nut, and some people may even be uncomfortable with the presence of a deadly weapon in a social situation where there is no need to have one displayed. As I have no purpose in carrying a weapon, other than to defend innocent life, CC suits me well. I don't have a need to "preach my religion," so to speak, everywhere that I go. If consideration of others is not your thing, that's fine.
    And I assure you, after carrying a weapon for 20+ years as an LEO without incident, and now as a private citizen, I have no problem with trusting myself with a weapon. If anyone has a trust issue, it's someone who thinks he needs to wear an exposed gun to scare away bad people. I'm sure there's a psychological observation in there somewhere, but I'll leave it up to the internet amateur psychiatrists to make a diagnosis.
    So you think that people that openly carry a gun have problems trusting people, but you conceal because you trust everyone and think you'll never have to use it (that seems to be what you are saying)? What is the point of carrying a gun if you trust everyone?

Honestly, I do want to thank you for your service as an LEO, but I find it interesting that you were an LEO yet are anti-open carry. How did you carry when you were an LEO? I'd bet pounds to pence that you OCed. If so, why didn't you just CC? I mean, that gun you wore might have scared some people...
    suntzu likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    So you think that people that openly carry a gun have problems trusting people, but you conceal because you trust everyone and think you'll never have to use it (that seems to be what you are saying)? What is the point of carrying a gun if you trust everyone?

Honestly, I do want to thank you for your service as an LEO, but I find it interesting that you were an LEO yet are anti-open carry. How did you carry when you were an LEO? I'd bet pounds to pence that you OCed. If so, why didn't you just CC? I mean, that gun you wore might have scared some people...
    I'm not saying I agree with vaquero's statement that you put in bold and are discussing above (nor am I arguing against OC).....but in reference to your analogy here....there is a big difference between a cop in a uniform that people know carries a gun vs joe on the street in shorts and a tshirt that people don't know carries a gun

as for the original incident topic of this thread.....
    I see multiple factors here (as some have eluded to)....and a LOT of 'ifs'

First, we all have to remember each state has different laws for weapons and for trespassing.
    If there was no valid state law or city ordinance against having firearms in the park where this happened, then the security guard needed to mind his own freakin business and leave the guy alone.

If there was a valid law/city ordinance, then the security guard was right in making contact with him.
    If this is the case AND things escalated to the point the SG was acting to remove the guy from the park (which he can do for whatever reason--not just a gun) and he refused (if this meets GA trespassing laws...does here in TX) then at this point the gun isn't the topic, the trespass is the topic.

If this is what took place, then when police arrived they would be acting on the trespass portion of this incident, not arresting for any gun-related issue.
    The guy says he was leaving when LEO arrived....but even so....if he didn't leave when he was first asked to but then decided to go ahead and leave it might still be trespassing (depending on GA law again), so he may not have any defense on that part.

IMO...if there was no law/ordinance prohibiting guns in the park then the guy can sue the security guard and/or his company for that portion. This would be separate from suing the LEO/PD/city for the trespass.

If the the guy did in fact comply with the SG's request to leave when he was first asked to, then the trespass charge wouldn't hold water and he could sue the officers and/or their department/city. This would be separate from the SG for the gun part.

Lots of IFs in this scenario which will only be whittled down after the dust settles and everything is looked into.

I'm all for people carrying, CC or OC. I just want them carrying responsibly. Which IMO doesn't mean they go out looking for confrontation/trouble. If they are contacted by LEO, by all means comply with identifying yourself, not playing games, etc. IF the LEO pushes an issue and you think its wrong, then by all means take action. I would do the same thing
    As for carrying recording devices....they are all around us everyday. Phones are everywhere. I get recorded on phones/camera on a regular basis on the job. Oh well. The only time it becomes an issue is when they interfere with the job I'm trying to do. Record me all you want....I don't do anything illegal or violate people's rights, etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links