Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

This is a discussion on Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police One's news story: Ga. man sues cops, guard over arrest for open carry The OCer's own words: Exercising in a public park while armed ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree171Likes

Thread: Ga man just won the OC/cop lottery

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Police One's news story:

Ga. man sues cops, guard over arrest for open carry

The OCer's own words:

Exercising in a public park while armed = "Suspicious"

Illegally thrown out of a park by security for OCing and being rude to security.
    Stopped by the police while leaving.
    Arrested for trespassing (while detained = not leaving) and jailed overnight.
    Seems like everything is on audio.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I've been following this story on the open carry forums. It will be interesting to see how it is handled by the court.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

cha-ching
    The Old Anglo and NONAME762 like this.

A bit premature to say that any lottery has been won.

In any event, I am certainly thankful that my life is not so mind-numbingly pathetic that I have to troll for drama in local parks. I'm sure he wasn't acting suspicious or doing anything to draw LE attention, of course. That's why he carries a voice recorder with him everywhere he goes.

I don't know all of the specifics of this incident, but even our "OC hero" admits being rude to security and the police. I'm betting there's more that he's not telling us.

I'm sure he was just OC'ing for "comfort" and "deterrence," though.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I was thinking that everytime that someone that OC's is arrested a lot of folks like to put down OC'ers or make comments to the effect "what did they expect" or give reasons why OC'ing is dumb.

Well, even if this guy is charged it sound like it will be like a lot of other incidents: they do not get charged with anything gun related but trespassing or disorderly conduct. So, I figured I would post CC'ers who actually break the law one. These are two we are familiar with but I will look up more as time goes by. So I am trying to figure out who is more conscious of the law? OC'ers or CC'ers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/ny...un-charge.html

Tennessee gun owner arrested at 9/11 Memorial in New York for gun possession - NYPOST.com

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    So I am trying to figure out who is more conscious of the law? OC'ers or CC'ers?
    You are going to base your findings on anecdotes that you find on the internet?

The plural of anecdote is not data. However, your time is certainly yours to waste. Have fun.

2 questions:
    Why does everyone think that whenever a person who is open carrying gets stopped and hassled by the cops it's a "payday"?.
    Does anyone have a link to how some of these turn out? I would think that if you did get detained for less than 24 hours and then cut loose without charges filed you might receive some minimal amount of money to compensate you for hours lost but I don't see a huge payday here.

Why do people who open carry have such a huge issue with showing ID? Would they take that same "you don't need to see it" position if they weren't open carrying? Maybe open carry would be more widely accepted if people didn't act confrontational or seem unwilling to cooperate when questioned by an police officer.
    mrm, GJ44, remington79 and 4 others like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    "I'm an open carry advocate," said Proescher, who works in a Cumming gun shop. "I believe [openly carried guns] will never become accepted unless people do it."

Wonderful another martyr for gun rights. He OC's in a park to get noticed but when he gets noticed instead of acting like an adult he acts like a 5 year old.

Proescher admits he insulted Hanna when they met on the Gary Pirkle Park track about noon April 20. "The rudeness was in noticing that he wasn't [a police] officer," Proescher said.

So he goes to the park to get noticed and then when he gets noticed by someone in an official capacity, LE or not, he insults and argues with him.

The officers wrote that they were suspicious of Proescher because he was "extremely evasive in responses" to their questions and he tried to deceive them. When the officers asked to see Proescher's driver's license, he answered, "I'm not driving." Asked for his date of birth, once Proescher answered, "What does it say on the permit?" and another time he responded, "It could be Dec. 5 or May 12."

Another situation of a two minute let me I.D. you situation turns into a night in jail strictly to get attention for the OC movement. Remember guys this is the man that the gun carriers of his state will be judged by. He was intentionally egging the officers on to arrest him. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

According to the report, his gun carry permit listed his birth date as Dec. 15, 1958. But Proescher said in an interview Wednesday his birthday is two weeks off.

So it is entirely possible this guy provided a false DOB to obtain his permit or a mistake was made when the permit was issued. Either way he knew it and failed to report it or have it corrected which in theory it could be argued that since he knowingly deceived or failed to report the mistake the permit is not valid. Who knows.

I truly feel sorry for the guys who OC for self protection, have common sense and would handle a situation like this with more maturity than this guy showed because they are the ones that will suffer from what this idiot did. I simply cannot have any sympathy or empathy for him.

Just an opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    You are going to base your findings on anecdotes that you find on the internet?

The plural of anecdote is not data. However, your time is certainly yours to waste. Have fun.
    Actually the question was rhetorical and if you didn't it out I was trying to be a wise butt. The point is folks love to point fingers at someone that OC's if they make the news suggest they make gun owners look stupid or as if the break the law. But in the two cases I linked two they were CC'ers that were doing something against the law and a lot of folks on this forum were defending them. That is the point. Next time I will use more LOL's and smiley face to make it more clear. OK? LOL

I think he got just what he wanted...call it entrapment, or "trolling for a confrontation"...

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    ....The plural of anecdote is not data. ....
    I like that. Hope you don't mind if I use elsewhere?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That is the point.
    You're comparing incidents where peaceful gun owners who didn't check the gun laws at their destinations and got bitten for it, vs. some internet hero wannabe who trolls for confrontation in the hopes that he will "hit the lottery."

In both of your links, the citizens were attempting to check their guns, so despite their ignorance of the law, they weren't trying to provoke confrontation. I'd rather have either of them over for dinner than some tool who prances around openly armed with a voice recorder to troll for drama, no matter what the legalities of his actions are.

Bottom line....you have no point. The incidents are not in any way comparable.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 5th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    CeltKnight likes this.

You're comparing incidents where peaceful gun owners who didn't check the gun laws at their destinations and got bitten for it, vs. some internet hero wannabe who trolls for confrontation in the hopes that he will "hit the lottery."

In both of your links, the citizens were attempting to check their guns, so despite their ignorance of the law, they weren't trying to provoke confrontation. I'd rather have either of them over for dinner than some tool who prances around openly armed with a voice recorder to troll for drama, no matter what the legalities of his actions are.

Bottom line....you have no point. The incidents are not in any way comparable.
    You are exactly correct sir. They are not comparable. Two cases had folks breaking the law (ignorance is no excuse....it is NYC for goodness sakes!) and the other case is an obvious jerk but not breaking any gun laws........

And, whether he wanted attention or not, it was thrust upon him by the security guard who obviously did not know the law.
    beararms, Ghost1958 and wrearick like this.

Two are breaking the law, one is not. You have a problem with the one NOT breaking any law? That's an interesting point of view. YOu also seem to assume to know a lot about all 3 of these individuals. Care to share how you know all that?

On the voice recorder. If it was on, we now have the story. Unedited, unchanged, from beginning to whenever the recorder was found. Whether that is good for the OC'er or LE is of no real matter. It will tell the story of what happened. If he did not have the recorder, who would tell his story? Him? Would you believe him? LE? Would you believe them? The reason some folks carry a recorder is that they have to defend themselves for doing nothing wrong. So who has the problem? it's the only way to ensure that the events are accurately portrayed for a citizen.

Is GA a stop and Identify state? I doubt it is. If I am doing nothing wrong why should I have to explain myself? I shouldn't have to. Whether I choose to or not is my choice.

As for trespassing, it will be interesting to see how they explain he was trespassing when he was in the act of leaving as asked and the only reason he stuck around was because he was detained by LE. If he was asked to leave, and he was leaving, that does not seem to be trespassing to me. Unless we find out he was asked multiple times. That could be problematic. I bet the voice recorder shows that though. Funny how handy that thing might be.
    suntzu, Spirit51, jag06 and 9 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    This doesn't mean he is going to see a cent. Stuff like this happens all the time. Look on youtube...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links