Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

This is a discussion on Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After 240 posts on the subject all I can say is that Barney Fife could have done a better job with this situation. If anything, ...

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

After 240 posts on the subject all I can say is that Barney Fife could have done a better job with this situation. If anything, he was anal about KNOWING the laws. He did not have to look them up
    Adameeski and DontTreadOnI like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
    From everything I've ever read about OC, it would seem a voice recorder (or at least a cell phone to VM recording) is perhaps a mandatory piece of equipment.

While they were waiting for "backup" and looking for a law to stop him from voting, he should have been calling the media.
    actually you're right, as standard practice, to avoid he said-she said, my brother clay and i normally have a recording device when we OC. however, his batteries happened to be dead that morning and he wasn't expecting any trouble so he went in without recording.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikeMI View Post
    actually you're right, as standard practice, to avoid he said-she said, my brother clay and i normally have a recording device when we OC. however, his batteries happened to be dead that morning and he wasn't expecting any trouble so he went in without recording.
    I would have kept that part to myself if I were you and was trying to convince people it wasn't a stunt.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Walk softly ...

I dunno, BigStick. Seems to me if he were out to do a stunt he would have been sure to put batteries in it. It relates more to my own personality anyway. If I normally carried a recorder, I would't bother putting in needed batteries for a quick run to the polls. Either way, I'm not sure how that fact should have any bearing on a person's opinion.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I would have kept that part to myself if I were you and was trying to convince people it wasn't a stunt.
    Kind of like saying that carrying a gun automatically means you are looking for trouble.
    carracer likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Senior Moderator
    This thread is not about the prudence (or lack thereof) of voice recorders carried by OCers. Let's try to keep things reigned in just a little bit.

here is the complaint my brother and his lawyer filed in court today:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/147289/Clay..._Complaint.pdf

IMO, I think that from our viewpoint, OC can be seen as our everyday thing, part of our wardrobe as self defense is one of our primary concerns...but from the other perspective, a rabidly anti-2A sheep could see it as voter intimidation and could portray it as such. If I was an anti and afraid of a properly holstered weapon, I would probably oppose seeing a gun in a polling place.

Mine is on county property and is posted with gunbuster signs, so it's off limits. I disarmed last vote and forgot my holster was still on, and when I went in everyone was staring at me and when I realized it I dropped my pen through my holster to show it was empty. I could just see the tension dissipate. Again, I don't understand that irrational fear...if I had been carrying a carpenters belt full of sharp and blunt objects, I wouldn't have been out of place since a few construction workers were doing just that.

GH
    Keep us updated on this lawsuit, smellslikeMI.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This is kind of old and many replies to read through, but my thought is that the Marine wasn't denied his right to vote; he was denied entry while armed. It was his option to not secure his firearm, cast his vote, and then pursue the matter afterwards. This was not handled well by all involved.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You've got a good attorney there with respect to writing the complaint. It contains all the elements of a good complaint and sets the ground work for summary judgment. The key will be to get the opposing side to stipulate to certain aspects of the case and then to move for summary judgment. Given that the award specified in Indiana Code there would be no need for a jury to determine damages only. You won't get a lot as I'm sure you know but I do not see you failing to prevail on this matter.
    Last edited by NotMallNinja; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This is kind of old and many replies to read through, but my thought is that the Marine wasn't denied his right to vote; he was denied entry while armed. It was his option to not secure his firearm, cast his vote, and then pursue the matter afterwards. This was not handled well by all involved.
    Substitute asking him to remove a Christian cross, a Jewish Star of David, or a Muslim's Hamsa. Would your viewpoint still stand? After all, they would only be denying entry based upon a religious/ethnic identity jewelry.
    suntzu and carracer like this.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Links