Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing - Page 3

Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

This is a discussion on Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot ^^^TO answer Hopyards question^^^^^^^^^^^^^ From article; Vanoverberghe told him he was not allowed to have the gun inside, and offered to ...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^TO answer Hopyards question^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From article;

Vanoverberghe told him he was not allowed to have the gun inside, and offered to have uniformed officers come talk to him if he preferred.

Edinger said that would be fine, and he waited outside the building until officers with the St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Department arrived.

The officers then began searching through the Indiana Code looking for a statute that would prohibit Edinger from bringing the gun into the building.

If they had been on school grounds, or at a courthouse, the issue would be cut and dry.

State statutes clearly indicate that such locations are off-limits to guns.

But the officers could not find a statute that clearly outlined the situation they found themselves in.

After about an hour and a half; the officers, who had asked for assistance from the Election Board, were provided a state statute (35-47-2-1) and relayed it to Edinger, telling him that it kept him from being able to bring the gun inside.

Edinger was skeptical, however, and opted to return home to look the statute up, instead of the solution of locking his gun in his car and voting first as Vanoverberghe offered.

After Edinger left, we began to do some research of our own. We quickly found that IC 35-47-2-1 dealt with the regulation of handguns; specifically, the carrying of handguns without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery, and the exceptions there in.

There was no indication, nor intimation, that Edinger has ever been convicted of domestic battery; and Edinger is licensed to carry the gun.

It was clear this statute did not apply in this situation

AND ;
    We contacted Barnes, who told us she had been given information by the Indiana State Police, and provided us a number to reach them at.

We contacted the State Police at the number provided, but the individual was unable to help us as his equipment was not allowing him to access the state statutes electronically.

He transferred us to the Indianapolis Division of the State Police, where two officers spent the better part of an hour looking for a statute that would prohibit Edinger from bringing the gun inside.

They even enlisted the help of an attorney, who also could not locate such a statute in the same time frame and given the resources they had at the time.

All this shows is that the laws are so stupid, vague, and nondescript, that even seasoned veterans of the state police, WITH the aid of an attorney can't figure it out.

He was wrongfully denied his right, and should file a formal complaint, so they(the state) can become aware of their wrongdoing.

Don't be too hard on ole Hoppy....... His reading comprehension scores were -125.
    Gun Bunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Anti gun rights attitudes on a gun board just make no sense to me
    Milquetoast pantie wetters come in all stripes.
    carracer and Gun Bunny like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Who complained besides the election officials who apparently did not know the law. How was he disturbing the peace. he was polite and cordial. Waited for them to try to figure something out. Went to check on it and returned. Yup, quite the trouble maker there.
    RE: What I put in bold. That is precisely the effect he wanted to provoke, to disturb the election officials, and provoke them into calling the cops. The polite and
    cordial part are nice touches but don't distract from the foolishness of the action taken.

Post 27 about covers it IMO.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I "think" no weapons at all in polling places in SC. Seems like a time to CC to not create a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    RE: What I put in bold. That is precisely the effect he wanted to provoke, to disturb the election officials, and provoke them into calling the cops. The polite and
    cordial part are nice touches but don't distract from the foolishness of the action taken.

Okee dokee. Let me ask you: When in YOUR opinion is it OK for someone to OC? FOlks that OC get harrassed everywhere. And here is a clue for you:Not everyone that oC's is trying to make a point. I had cops called on me twice in the middle of nowhere. So you tell me Hop, where the heck are the Hopyard approved areas to OC?
    Why don't you mention the LEO's and other govt. officials that had NO clue what to do. Maybe, just maybe if they let him go vote, he would have been in and out in a few minutes and this would not make the new, would not sway anti's since they are opposed to us anyway. What about gvt official interfering with a voter who was DOING NOTHING!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Okee dokee. Let me ask you: When in YOUR opinion is it OK for someone to OC? FOlks that OC get harrassed everywhere. And here is a clue for you:Not everyone that oC's is trying to make a point. I had cops called on me twice in the middle of nowhere. So you tell me Hop, where the heck are the Hopyard approved areas to OC?
    Why don't you mention the LEO's and other govt. officials that had NO clue what to do. Maybe, just maybe if they let him go vote, he would have been in and out in a few minutes and this would not make the new, would not sway anti's since they are opposed to us anyway. What about gvt official interfering with a voter who was DOING NOTHING!
    See post 20 & 27.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

How do you know what his goals or motives were? Just because you only see OC as a political statement does not mean everyone else feels the same way. He may not have a CC permit, so that is his only method of carrying to protect himself.

You can infer some things from the info given, and that he refused to remove his sidearm to go back and vote, but I think you are judging him unfairly and unjustly based on your own feelings, not his actions.

I will ask the same question as suntzu, when and where is it ok to OC? And where do you draw the line? Was he making a point? Maybe, but maybe it is a point that needs to be made.
    suntzu, rolyat63 and Spirit51 like this.
    Walk softly ...

Another case of unintended consequence from OC.

I know, I know, it's your right, mom apple pie, and all that.

What I think is strange, is that it's within your rights to burn an American flag too, but I bet some people here would go nuts on someone if they saw them doing it.

A right also comes with responsibility.

And I can't say what I think of any numb nut that would call Hopyard an anti.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

See post 20 & 27.
    Hop, stop playing politician here. I and someone else asked you a simple question. When and where is it appropriate to OC? Pretty simple for such a well read man as yourself

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    How do you know what his goals or motives were?
    Hopyard's crystal ball
    suntzu likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

And I can't say what I think of any numb nut that would call Hopyard an anti.
    Well I can say anyone that claims to be pro gun but anti open carry is a hypocrite, (not pointing fingers or anything) but then that's just me ......... and maybe a few others.
    Crowbait, Spirit51 and Gun Bunny like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Its not that simple Mike. I would put that in the disturbing the peace category and interference with a polling place.
    He had to know he was going to cause a fuss.
    We can agree that there was a disturbance of the peace. I am afraid we will disagree as who who caused it. It seems we also disagree with who was interfering with the voting process. Had everyone involved followed the laws their would have been no disturbance. Why do we want to blame the only person in the whole situation who is following the law for the disturbance?

Michael
    suntzu, carracer and Gun Bunny like this.

VIP Member
    geez...sounds like election officials were idiots
    sounds like the LEOs didn't know.....so they shouldn't have done anything and let him vote
    we have a saying in officiating basketball...."if you don't know, you don't blow" (the whistle), meaning if you don't know for 100% sure what happened and know it was illegal then you don't blow the whistle and make a call on something you are not 100% sure about

I think if I was the carrier I would have locked it up, went in and voted, then I would have taken it up with the election officials and heads of all involved LE agencies to get to the truth of the matter.....then we would have got somewhere.....and I would have got to voice my vote
    bmcgilvray and oneshot like this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

^^^^^this^^^^ Is perfectly logical, and I the way the OCer should have conducted his business.
    But like so many others that are trying to make a point, they take a perfect opportunity to use the proper legal channels to present their case in a level headed and calm manner, and decide to ass it up for all gun owners.

There is a right way and wrong way to do things. A dogmatic attitude is not the right way.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Don't know the laws in Indiana, but it is illegal in texas to CC at a polling locations
    Quite LEGAL here if CC, even if in a school, church, or about anywhere else... as long as it's not posted per the AG's approved signage. Techinically, it's also legal to open carry it if have a CC license, but not a lot of people really aware of that clause.

I hate those "I'm sure there's a law somewhere that makes that illegal" , and no one can find one. Proves there are so many within the legal system, that are unaware of the laws that should be on top of them.

I had one case..... no one, including the Judges, were aware of the law..... and after I pointed it out, they broke, did their research and everyone learned there was. We HAVE TO KNOW THEM.... we have little choice.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links