Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing - Page 4

Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

This is a discussion on Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm ^^^^^this^^^^ Is perfectly logical, and I the way the OCer should have conducted his business. But like so many others that ...

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree359Likes

Thread: Marine get turned away from voting because of OC'ing

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ^^^^^this^^^^ Is perfectly logical, and I the way the OCer should have conducted his business.
    But like so many others that are trying to make a point, they take a perfect opportunity to use the proper legal channels to present their case in a level headed and calm manner, and decide to ass it up for all gun owners.

There is a right way and wrong way to do things. A dogmatic attitude is not the right way.

The "anyone who disagrees with me" argument is a two way street. The submit to unlawful authority instead of standing up for yourself argument is frankly un-American.
    jrclen, DontTreadOnI and carracer like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The "anyone who disagrees with me" argument is a two way street. The submit to unlawful authority instead of standing up for yourself argument is frankly un-American.
    You are confusing two different issues my friend. But there is a proper way to stand up for yourself within the perimeters of being reasonable and not making a negative impact on gun owners.

Sure, he was quoted bad information. An LEO cannot be expected to know every statue of every subject. Hell, even Judges must research the laws and determine how they apply to a given circumstance, and even determine the spirit of the law.

If, he truly wanted to vote that badly, he could have done so, and taken his case up legally in a manner that was truly promoting and beneficial to you and me. But he didn't. He gave the ball away to the other team, and once again they capitalized on it.

Do you really think that even 20% of the viewing audience understood what he was doing as they viewed the news report? Hell no! They saw another over zealous gun nut who for whatever reason was afraid to go vote without a gun on his hip. They will never hear or understand the other side of the story.

We, are a minority. Even though gun ownership is desired and our second amend rights are being upheld, there are still a vast majority of people who do not like or understand the wearing of a gun in public.
    And making a negative news headline is not the direction to take to promote OC.

Simply, his actions hurt the cause for OC, and gunowners alike.

People have got to stop wearing their feelings on their shoulders and objectively look at how other people view things and start planning accordingly.
    Tactically speaking, it's called attacking from a different direction.
    Bark'n, Hopyard, wmhawth and 4 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

There's no single "right" way for our Marine-turned Navy chaplain to have handled this. I understand him standing up for his rights and doing the right thing, at the end of the day he got the issue publicized but at the price of not being able to cast his vote. That's Pyrrhic victory in my book.

If O. Henry was writing this story, the issue on the ballot would have been about gun rights and it would have been decided by the one vote our hero didn't get to cast.

Call me a pragmatist, but somewhere in the middle of the story, perhaps after the gendarmes were summoned, I would have locked the gun in my car, voted, and then proceeded to register my protest with the appropriate authorities and discuss the issues of voter "harassment" and "intimidation."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    Unfortunately for me, my polling place is located below the middle school gymnasium, AKA school grounds. No carry for me on voting day.
    Our polling place is an elementary school ... no carry.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Geez people, everyone knows you OC billy clubs to polling places if you don't want any problems with the authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Post 27 about covers it IMO.
    Since post 27, quoted above yours, was mine let me clarify. It was a joke. If it were legal to OC into a polling place in NC I very likely would. Matter of fact I don't think it's illegal per state law. It's just that my polling places are off limits. Lucky me to get the city recreation center or city hall for early voting instead of the Church.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    There's no single "right" way for our Marine-turned Navy chaplain to have handled this. I understand him standing up for his rights and doing the right thing, at the end of the day he got the issue publicized but at the price of not being able to cast his vote. That's Pyrrhic victory in my book.

If O. Henry was writing this story, the issue on the ballot would have been about gun rights and it would have been decided by the one vote our hero didn't get to cast.

Call me a pragmatist, but somewhere in the middle of the story, perhaps after the gendarmes were summoned, I would have locked the gun in my car, voted, and then proceeded to register my protest with the appropriate authorities and discuss the issues of voter "harassment" and "intimidation."
    As usual, a level headed pragmatic and sensible response. I've come to expect nothing less from you. The man had two
    goals which were readily achievable, vote and make a point. I think he accomplished neither.
    shooterX likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Stupid stunt IMO.
    Why is it stupid and a stunt when someone attempts to exercise their rights. Whether personally we like or don't like what the person did its not stupid.

Many of us have served in the military and have a deep pride for our country and its flag. While most, if not all, of us do not look kindly on someone burning the American flag they still have a right to do it. We served so that everyone had the freedom to exercise their rights regardless of are feelings on the issue.

I have noticed on the forum that some posters seem to be anti open carry. I just wonder why that is.
    DontTreadOnI and Gun Bunny like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm sure some herald this guy as a super-hero of 2A rights.

I just think there are better ways and places to do so. He just wasted a bunch of people's time.
    A super hero, no, however I do applaud him for exercising his rights.

If you don't mind could you post some of the better ways/places to exercise the 2nd amendment rights.

Actually concealed carry permits are not a 2nd amendment right they are a violation of the 2nd amendment by virtue of infringement.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

How's this for pragmatism: You leave your gun in your car in Philadelphia. The local Black Panther Party thugs are standing outside of the polling place openly displaying blunt force arms. WHERE HAS THIS HAPPENED BEFORE? "Security" patrols stationed at polling places in Philly - YouTube

This is a political group. A RADICAL KNOWN TERRORIST POLITICAL FRONT. Not security.

So, given this scenario, should someone openly carrying be refused the right to vote??? If you think so, explain. And if you DO think openly displayed arms should be refused in a polling place, give you pragmatic, philosophical, honest, genuine, unbiased, and OBJECTIVE (as in, not subjective) opinion as to why.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

An LEO cannot be expected to know every statue of every subject.
    Can we agree that they should at least know the ones they are enforcing? To do otherwise is to allow then to make up laws on the side of the road.

Michael
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Curious, what does him being a marine have to do with the story?
    About as much as the laws on open carry of weapons in polling places other than the one where this happened.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

carracer and Gun Bunny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Well I can say anyone that claims to be pro gun but anti open carry is a hypocrite, (not pointing fingers or anything) but then that's just me ......... and maybe a few others.
    Hi. I'm pro gun, and think OC is straight up stupid. Dare I say that alot of OC'ers know darn well they will raise alarms. I sense that they simply like the drama associated with it. I like to get in, get out, and get on with my life. I dont have time to sit for 90 minutes with some LEO's trying to look up law. Ahh, but the OC'ers love it! It's my right!!! Let's talk about it for 90 minutes!! (Trust me, you wont win the 2a haters over this way)

And, an hour and a half with the LEO's looking up the law? Yeah, right. It was in print, so it must be true. I think the subject would lose interest for me after about 90 seconds, not 90 minutes.

I think the first paragraph summed it up. This guy cares more about the drama associated with OC than actually voting. Me? I'd rather vote, and go home and mow the lawn. Then again, I dont need the drama.
    Hopyard likes this.

You are confusing two different issues my friend. But there is a proper way to stand up for yourself within the perimeters of being reasonable and not making a negative impact on gun owners.

Sure, he was quoted bad information. An LEO cannot be expected to know every statue of every subject. Hell, even Judges must research the laws and determine how they apply to a given circumstance, and even determine the spirit of the law.

If, he truly wanted to vote that badly, he could have done so, and taken his case up legally in a manner that was truly promoting and beneficial to you and me. But he didn't. He gave the ball away to the other team, and once again they capitalized on it.

Do you really think that even 20% of the viewing audience understood what he was doing as they viewed the news report? Hell no! They saw another over zealous gun nut who for whatever reason was afraid to go vote without a gun on his hip. They will never hear or understand the other side of the story.

We, are a minority. Even though gun ownership is desired and our second amend rights are being upheld, there are still a vast majority of people who do not like or understand the wearing of a gun in public.
    And making a negative news headline is not the direction to take to promote OC.

Simply, his actions hurt the cause for OC, and gunowners alike.

People have got to stop wearing their feelings on their shoulders and objectively look at how other people view things and start planning accordingly.
    Tactically speaking, it's called attacking from a different direction.
    Glockman10mm sums it up for me. Was he right? yes. Did he get his point across? yes. Did he really make an impacting strike for OC? NO!!!!!

We of the forum are a minority. And right or wrong the general public does not hold the same 2nd Amendment values as we do. Does he have the legal right to open carry in to a polling place in Indiana? Yes.

Did he sway others into a pro 2nd amendment viewpoint like we hold here? Probably not.

There is a thing called tact.

This man was sorely lackint it.

One may be right/correct/justified. It does not mean that you are being persuasive in your argument.

Most people will view him as an overzealous gun nut. I'm not writing that he is, but has probably generated more animoisty than sympathy for gun rights.

Pick your battles wisely ladies and gentlemen.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

^^^^^this^^^^ Is perfectly logical, and I the way the OCer should have conducted his business.
    But like so many others that are trying to make a point, they take a perfect opportunity to use the proper legal channels to present their case in a level headed and calm manner, and decide to ass it up for all gun owners.

There is a right way and wrong way to do things. A dogmatic attitude is not the right way.
    I am still trying to figure out how he "assed it up for all gun owners"? By not doing anything wrong? By being polite? What about the LEO's and election officials who "assed it up" to begin with by not knowing their jobs? As far as I can tell the only folks distrubed by this are the ignorant fools who tried to deny him one right so he can use another and the folks on this forum who are conveniently overlooking the fact that he is the only one that was correct.
    I got news for you. Zimmerman has done more or possibly more damage to gun owners *he was CC'ing by the way" than every person we see on a LOCAL news who is OC'ing ans will be forgotten even in their own towns within 48 hours. The only people who go nuts about this are us on this forum thinking the sky is going to fall on stories that quite frankly most folks don't care about. Even the Brady bunch does not get upset about this. They way too much ammo to curtail gun rights by reall abuses of folks using guns than concentrate on folks obeying the laws.
    carracer and Gun Bunny like this.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links