Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun - Page 3

Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun

This is a discussion on Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 I carry a .380 They are held in such low esteem on firearms forums that no self respecting bad guy would ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I carry a .380 They are held in such low esteem on firearms forums that no self respecting bad guy would try to steal one. They would be laughed out of the gang if they went around bragging "Hey, I stole a dude's .380"
    Not really, money's money. They'll still get props, someone will just say get a ____ next time. Good job tho, esp. if they're a juvenile or low rank.

A lot of people turn to "crime" because they have no respect for them-selves anyway. You lose the meaning because all you know, is what you see around you. I can show you many kids who've pretty much spend their lives in the couple miles square they call their "hood". Luckily, I got to explore the city.

I might be open carrying a 9mm, maybe a makrarov w/ hi-cap mag.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Open carry has been around for a long time in many states. It's going to take more than one or two stories to support the idea that we have a growing epidemic of criminals targeting OCers. Also, before anybody tries to draw any conclusions on the overall value of OC, you'll need to provide data on how many crimes weren't committed because the criminal spotted someone who was armed.

In other words, it's a silly argument because neither side has all the data.

This means we're left defending OC based on its value as a liberty, not a tactical strategy.

I'll let you all chew on this...

60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed.

James Wright and Peter Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms”, New York: Aldine, 1986

74% of felons agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, "The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons," Research Report, July 1985

Check out the Gun Facts guide available at Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths, especially the section on deterrence at pages 10-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'll let you all chew on this...
    You quoted this in another post and I didn't want to clog that thread since it was way OT. But here it makes sense so here is my thought on your survey. First of all, are "felons" known for being honest? Are we just going to take them at face value for what they say?

Second, wearing my pistol openly may very well keep me from being a target. But it can just as easily make me a target, and I dare say could possibly put me in a position to have to USE my gun to defend myself whereas if nobody knew I had it, they wouldn't try and steal it from me. Scenario: I am not physically imposing or particularly "mean lookin". Perhaps a large criminal decides he can get my gun from me before I can shoot him. He attacks me. Now I either have to shoot him, or get robbed and hope he doesn't shoot me. This same guy may just have passed me by when looking for his next victim if the gun wasn't in play. And if he still chooses to attack me, he gets one hell of a surprise. I'll take my spidey senses and common sense over OC to protect me any day.

VIP Member
    Thunder just as I stated in the other topic it is not the 60%,74% or the 57% that I am concerned with it is the remaining percentile that bothers me.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Thunder just as I stated in the other topic it is not the 60%,74% or the 57% that I am concerned with it is the remaining percentile that bothers me.
    Yep, the ones in the 30% range that do not care one way or the other. If they want it, they are going to try to take it, and you with it.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

30%, 60% etc... What really matters is 100% situation awareness along with the "3 stupids".

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    30%, 60% etc... What really matters is 100% situation awareness along with the "3 stupids".
    You are correct about SA. Thats really not what I was referring to. If 60% of BGs say they will not victimize people they think are armed, that means that 30% do not care. It would indicate that they are willing to do what they want whether you are carrying or not. Why, they just do not care. These are the types of criminals we need to watch and train for.
    carracer likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links