Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun

This is a discussion on Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had not seen this posted before it is has been feel free to delete it. I had to watch it twice when the victim ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun

VIP Member

Open carrier robbed at gunpoint of his money and his gun

I had not seen this posted before it is has been feel free to delete it.

I had to watch it twice when the victim stated "The robber was having trouble with the holster so I helped him get the gun out".

Guy with the gun robbed of his gun, because he had one. Was the robber afraid? Don't think so. - YouTube
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

This news story is a couple years old but I don't think it's an isolated incident. If you choose to carry openly (as law permits), then you're putting a target on your back. I imagine seeing a gun would deter most would-be criminals, but some would probably either love the challenge or just simply want to take your gun in addition to your wallet.

I personally don't see the appeal in open carrying (no element of surprise, possible police harassment, making people uncomfortable, and of course being robbed for your gun) but if that's what law-abiding people choose to do, more power to them.

VIP Member
    Ok did not see a date on it folks were still talking about it a week ago so I thought it was more recent.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I remember when this happened, It's a couple miles away from my home. This is just an another example on how bold these bad guys are getting here in Milwaukee. This also happened when Wisconsin didnt have CCW and the only option was to open carry and I remember commenting to a coworker that this was another reason we needed CCW.

VIP Member
    In this particular case it wasn't a matter of him choosing to OC vs CC. At the time WI was still a non-CC state. His options consisted of OC or going unarmed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I prefer concealed carry when off-duty. I prefer the element of surprise. I'd prefer not to be the first one shot in a bank robbery because I am open carrying. These are MY preferences. Those who open carry, have at it. However, I have long been a believer that anyone who carries a handgun should know how to use it effectively and KNOW HOW TO RETAIN IT! EVERYONE who carries a handgun owes it to themselves and everyone around them to practice retention drills to make sure that the handgun doesn't end up in the wrong hands.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

its an old story but still funny

the robber is known as the "man with two guns" now!

sgb
    claude clay likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I prefer concealed carry when off-duty. I prefer the element of surprise. I'd prefer not to be the first one shot in a bank robbery because I am open carrying. These are MY preferences. Those who open carry, have at it. However, I have long been a believer that anyone who carries a handgun should know how to use it effectively and KNOW HOW TO RETAIN IT! EVERYONE who carries a handgun owes it to themselves and everyone around them to practice retention drills to make sure that the handgun doesn't end up in the wrong hands.
    ^^^^^^^ Agreeded ^^^^^^^

Also the gun is just a tool. The mind is the weapon.

Situational Awareness is paramount to defensive tactics.

Police 101 teaches that every encounter an officer on duty is in is an armed encounter because you are bringing a gun with you.

Having the gun on your hip for a LEO is a symbol of authority. It also can make you a target.

Condition "White" has no place when you are out in the real world for LEO or private citizen whether you are armed or not.

As the old Clint Smith saying goes, "If you look like food you will be eaten".

OS
    carracer, BugDude, NY27 and 1 others like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Open carry has been around for a long time in many states. It's going to take more than one or two stories to support the idea that we have a growing epidemic of criminals targeting OCers. Also, before anybody tries to draw any conclusions on the overall value of OC, you'll need to provide data on how many crimes weren't committed because the criminal spotted someone who was armed.

In other words, it's a silly argument because neither side has all the data.

This means we're left defending OC based on its value as a liberty, not a tactical strategy.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I know this gentleman didn't have the choice between OC and CC at the time. This enforces my personal choice about MY carrying CC. I have always said that I want my ability to use lethal force kept a hidden asset. I don't seem like the type that would be carrying CC and know how and when to use it. I don't wish to have a BG planning his attack on the fact that I am armed. Around the house or in the garden....I don't care who sees it, but out in public...my little "secret".

I would never say that this is the best way for everyone. This should be a personal decision made with personal strengths and weaknesses taken into account.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I've never seen it before. Thanks for posting. I don't have the option to open carry here in Texas (of all places), but even if I did, it's not for me. The only way I'd open carry is if I had no option for concealed carry. But, that's just me. I'm all for others doing so if they choose.
    Spirit51 and danwdooley like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I personally do not open carry. However, to each his own. But that individual most certainly needs to upgrade his SA skills, in my humble opinion! To get robbed of your wallet AND your gun is incomprehensible and inexcusable, as far as I'm concerned. You need to be AWARE of what is going on around you and who is around!!! Especially if you are open carrying. And didn't they say in the story that he had been robbed BEFORE and that was why he carried? Seems to me he is oblivious to his surrounding and looks like a victum or he goes to places that he would be a lot better off avoiding! Just my .02!
    carracer and Old School like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    There are definitely some added responsibilities when OCing. Not only a little extra SA, but also your behavior in general. OCing throws a spotlight on you as a gun owner whether you like it or not; whether you want it or not. You immediately become a public example of all gun owners everywhere and the sheep are watching. It's your opportunity to make all of us look like calm, polite citizens, or cranky, antisocial jackasses. That may not be right, but you can bet that's how it IS.

If you're going to OC (which I fully support even though I CC 98% of the time) then please conduct yourself in a manner that reflects well on the rest of us. YOU ARE THE PUBLIC FACE OF GUN OWNERSHIP and the entire community of gun owners needs as many good examples walking around as possible.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I am not a fan of OC for me specifically, but I personally am fine with others who choose to do so responsibly.

Even though I practice and I have always had attention to detail regarding my surroundings, I personally do not believe that any human being is 100% aware of every potential escalating situation heading their way. My opinion is that those that think they do, are fooling themselves to believe that they will always be ready 100%. Yes, being aware will drastically reduce your chances of ever having an encounter and every person should be aware. But, my scientific method of internet posting calculations, leads me to think that at best it will be 90-95% aware.

Stories circulate constantly of LEO's who get in a struggle over their own weapons. If a person was able to get their hands on your weapon in the first place, than you made a mistake. For those that think they are above this, I ask, when was the last time you bumped your head, tripped, or made any kind of mistake for that matter? It doesn't matter if it's minor, because basically it proves that you are human and capable of not being 100% sharp all the time.

I don't know the man in this story or all the details, but I saw it awhile back and was glad he survived. My first thought was not to call him an idiot, but to think hard about how my actions would reduce my chances of ending up with the same result. Fortunately, I CC 98% of the time and don't flag attention to my firearm. This reduces my chances drastically of having someone take my firearm, because they aren't even aware of it.

Monday morning quarter back is easier than being in the moment. Stories like this are great tools to help keep YOU safe!
    sid1, lordj and carracer like this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links