A gun on your hip makes you a target... - Page 2

A gun on your hip makes you a target...

This is a discussion on A gun on your hip makes you a target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Badey I'm not so sure about the OC making you a target argument. I posted a link in another thread about a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: A gun on your hip makes you a target...

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I'm not so sure about the OC making you a target argument. I posted a link in another thread about a BG walking past an OCer to shoot a store clerk; the BG was subsequently shot by the OCer. Also, from my experience and the experiences of others most people don't even notice when you OC.

While your digging under all those layers of clothing to get to your gun, I'll be the guy with my gun out and on target. You can thank me for saving your life after you get done muzzling your hand trying to reholster in your IWB pancake rig.
    Once again you think OC allows you to have some sort of old west "quick draw". I can access my firearm under a t-shirt fast enough to get the job done. Only difference is, I blend in and nobody knows I have my gun. To me, OC is like playing poker with your cards facing out.
    sebring likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Once again you think OC allows you to have some sort of old west "quick draw". I can access my firearm under a t-shirt fast enough to get the job done. Only difference is, I blend in and nobody knows I have my gun. To me, OC is like playing poker with your cards facing out.
    I would be against any effort to prevent others from exercising their rights to show their cards.

Michael

My feeling towards everything in life is if person A is doing thing B, which has no impact on person C beyond them not liking it, person C should just mind their own business and go on with their life.

I OC, and nothing bad has happened to me.
    Last edited by tubadude; May 13th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    tcox4freedom and Ogre like this.

Senior Moderator
    It used to be that open carry was the "right" way to carry a gun.
    Anything that was carried concealed was presumed to be for illegal purposes or dishonarable intentions.

At some point in time, that changed. If a gun was to be carried, it had to be concealed.
    Now, people argue about how dangerous carring a gun openly is and that carring it concealed is the right way.

Its funny how it all plays out.
    tcox4freedom, Ram Rod and JDE101 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Anything that was carried concealed was presumed to be for illegal purposes or dishonarable intentions.

At some point in time, that changed. If a gun was to be carried, it had to be concealed.
    Now, people argue about how dangerous carring a gun openly is and that carring it concealed is the right way.

It would seem society changed. Your right about it playing out......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Dang, I hate it when you post good stuff like that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would be against any effort to prevent others from exercising their rights to show their cards.

Michael
    So, instead of "Got any threes?", it becomes "Give me that three".
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    O.K., are you going to call on a guy showing you a Royal Flush? I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From what a I gather so far the majority of folks offended or disturbed by Open Carry are LEO's, Election officials in IN (sorry, couldn't resist), and folks on this forum, not the scared soccer moms. Who would have thought
    Badey, tubadude and PEF like this.

Mir, you are sick. Glad you were not on my fire team.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

The OP was a sarcastic question as to why we care if another person does something that attracts attention to himself. Do we genuinely care what happens to them or are we just grasping at excuses in an attempt to make them stop doing something we do not approve of. I suspect the latter.

EDIT: No different than the deer hunters that see no need for Black rifles or the duck hunters that see no need fro machine guns. But its one thing to not want to do something yourself. Its another to try to prevent others from doing what they want.

Michael
    suntzu, tubadude and Aceoky like this.

Administrator
    How did I know that this thread was going to eventually end up right where it is right now. How did I know that?

I must have psychic ability.
    discoboxer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    How did I know that this thread was going to eventually end up right where it is right now. How did I know that?

I must have psychic ability.
    Its a conspiracy.

Michael

Hate to tell ya, but most people don't even notice someone open carrying.... unless it's just a very obvious gun/holster/ etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The OP was a sarcastic question as to why we care if another person does something that attracts attention to himself. Do we genuinely care what happens to them or are we just grasping at excuses in an attempt to make them stop doing something we do not approve of. I suspect the latter.

Michael
    You say your thread was just being sarcastic keep in mind that attempting sarcasm in writing is not always easy for someone to pick up on. As one can see from some of the responses to this thread.

I still find it ironic that there are posters (far too many) on this forum that bash, make fun of open carry advocates.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links