A gun on your hip makes you a target... - Page 3

A gun on your hip makes you a target...

This is a discussion on A gun on your hip makes you a target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good grief, are we really discussing this topic?...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: A gun on your hip makes you a target...

Good grief, are we really discussing this topic?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Good grief, are we really discussing this topic?
    Slow weekend....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Administrator
    I am not going to be the dog that finds something to fight about in this thread. But, I'll only say that yours is not the perfect analogy.
    The issue is not benign AKA People who wear light blue shirts just don't like it (and are bothered by the fact) that some other people are wearing dark blue shirts.
    The wearers of the Dark blue shirts having absolutely no effect whatsoever on the people wearing Light blue shirts.
    There are idiosyncratic issues created with Open Carry that (good or bad & right or wrong) that DO have an effect on people who carry firearms concealed for personal protection.
    And so they have a right to weigh in with their personal opinion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The OP was a sarcastic question as to why we care if another person does something that attracts attention to himself. Do we genuinely care what happens to them or are we just grasping at excuses in an attempt to make them stop doing something we do not approve of. I suspect the latter.

EDIT: No different than the deer hunters that see no need for Black rifles or the duck hunters that see no need fro machine guns. But its one thing to not want to do something yourself. Its another to try to prevent others from doing what they want.

Michael
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    O.K., are you going to call on a guy showing you a Royal Flush? I'm just sayin'...
    Nope! I would fold, quit the game & look for another.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am not going to be the dog that finds something to fight about in this thread. But, I'll only say that yours is not the perfect analogy.
    The issue is not benign AKA People who wear light blue shirts just don't like it (and are bothered by the fact) that some other people are wearing dark blue shirts.
    The wearers of the Dark blue shirts having absolutely no effect whatsoever on the people wearing Light blue shirts.
    There are idiosyncratic issues created with Open Carry that (good or bad & right or wrong) that DO have an effect on people who carry firearms concealed for personal protection.
    And so they have a right to weigh in with their personal opinion on the subject.
    Its when the folks wearing the light blue shirts start demanding new Laws to prevent folks from wearing the dark blue shirts that bothers me. In our society that is normally the what happens when folks insist on wearing their dark blue shirts in defiance of others wishes.

Michael

Walking with a limp or a cane can make you a target. Being a woman can make you a target. Having white hair can make you a target. (Reminder to self...make beauty salon appointment for "touch up". ) So summing up....being a older woman with a cane makes you a target. I am sure the BG would rather go after that target then a OC person target. This is why I prefer carrying CC for myself...I love being underestimated...gives me a edge.

If I wanted to go "trolling" for BG, I would add carrying a box of "Depends". Not because I need them, but just to complete the outfit.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Without trying to sound too cold hearted isn't this a good thing? If the bad guys attention is drawn towards the open carrier ans away from you doesn't that make you safer? Wouldn't it give you time to either get away or if you are carrying concealed to draw your weapon and take a shot at the bad guy without him even knowing you were there. This sounds great to me. You have your own personal decoy to draw fire and attention away from you.

I have to admire you for your concern for the safety of a total stranger who is doing something that puts his life in danger. I have to ask is his life that important to you or is it just that you feel he shouldn't be doing something that you yourself do not approve of?

Michael
    Seems to me that most of the American public is looking for martyrs these days anyway. How do you think we got to the point of certain things becoming a privilege instead of a right? Government propaganda, a national media with backdoor intentions, a whole society whom would rather be told than think for themselves, those who judge before looking in the mirror. If at any time you look at another person as a decoy in order to further your own survival, you don't care about life the way life should be thought of. A sin against your fellow human being.
    Thinking of Donner Pass................would you be waiting for someone to die so you could cook and eat them for your own survival? Or would you be doing your best to help them survive? Heartless or narrow minded?
    I'm not sure how exactly to take this post. Cynical or serious. I do know one thing............if we fail to educate others about OUR rights......we all get flushed down the same drain. Look at where we are now. Surely you're not brazen enough to think we're on top of the game now. That's exactly what they want you to think and turn your mind into jello to the point that you'll never stand up for anything individually anymore since they have quite obviously taken away the team aspect. Or is it each of us individually that have chipped away at the team aspect piece by piece? Either way....if we would have been playing as a team all along.......we wouldn't be in this sinking boat now. Who put the hole in the bottom of the boat? Who's gonna put their finger in the hole until we get to shore? Who's ready to blame someone aboard for us being lost in the first place..........in a tiny boat with a hole in the bottom?
    I'm obviously one who thinks better of you than myself in the first place. If you have a family, you should put yourself at the top of the list for survival since I don't have a family that depends on me. Would I jump on the grenade in front of your family? More than likely. For you alone? That's questionable at this point. Don't take this personal, but I have open carried before, and I'll do it again. If you follow me I'll know.....and I'll call the cops on you for stalking. I'm not your "decoy".

While I personally carry concealed, I have no objection to those who choose to carry openly. Most people are so oblivious to their surroundings that they wouldn't notice anyway. And as far as open carry making one a target, I bet the statistics are about the same for Woolrich or 5.11 vests making one a target! So small, if any at all, as to be statistically insignificant. Your odds are probably better of being hit by lightning than of getting shot first because you are open carrying or wearing a 5.11 vest. Just my opinion, since I don't have the actual statistics to prove my point. I'll continue to carry concealed and wear my vests, and feel very comfortable.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Now THIS makes you a target!

the far side.jpg
    mlr1m, JDE101, WHEC724 and 2 others like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Badey,

great laugh.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

You have to wonder why someone is parroting anti self defense fanatics propaganda without any foundation in fact on a pro 2A forum. OC does not make you a target anymore than sucking air does. Why don't you post some verifiable credible sources for your anti assumption? Probably because there isn't any. I am sure that an OC'er may have been targeted once or twice in the past 500 years because they were open carrying, maybe even as often as concealed carriers have been targeted for carrying a fire arm. Not being a retard my bet is that a crime has been prevented a thousand times more because of OC. Even the stupidest criminal understands that an armed victim is far more dangerous and difficult to deal with than an unarmed one. Just as any idiot knows criminals are not inclined to create extra work and risk for themselves than they absolute have to.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Although this topic comes up all the freaking time... The only evidence that I can find seems to support the opposite of open carriers being targets...

Case in point, close to my locale:
    Open Carriers Deter Armed Robbery
    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com
    accessbob and lyz_grace like this.

VIP Member
    Good lord not again.

There are also cases of OC'ers being robbed of their firearms at gunpoint and attempted gun grabs so there, now we are even.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Although this topic comes up all the freaking time... The only evidence that I can find seems to support the opposite of open carriers being targets...

Case in point, close to my locale:
    Open Carriers Deter Armed Robbery
    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com
    Not sure if it makes me proud or scared to know I pass that Waffle House every day on the way to work, but awesome nonetheless.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Good lord not again.

There are also cases of OC'ers being robbed of their firearms at gunpoint and attempted gun grabs so there, now we are even.
    Got a link? I don't know of any such cases. I know if hearsay and theoretics, only. And I mean civilian instances. Military and LEO cases aren't the same circumstances.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links