A gun on your hip makes you a target...

This is a discussion on A gun on your hip makes you a target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Lotus222 Got a link? I don't know of any such cases. I know if hearsay and theoretics, only. And I mean civilian ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: A gun on your hip makes you a target...

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Got a link? I don't know of any such cases. I know if hearsay and theoretics, only. And I mean civilian instances. Military and LEO cases aren't the same circumstances.
    There are a couple of cases, this being one of them. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...ns-ar-1510369/

Regardless of the method of carry, you are a target when in the presense of bad guys. Situation awareness is important regardless even if not carrying.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Awesome, thanks for posting. One more point that makes it even harder to argue whether an OCing individual is more likely a target or a deterrent. If it is a deterrent, 99.9% of the time there isn't going to be a report - since there was no action. If OCing does make you a target, I would assume we would see many more cases like this one, though.

I agree 100% that anyone can be a target. I'll just keep working on being more aware.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    OC/CC, either way you can be a target. Head down, not looking around, counting money while walking to your car from the store, the look of no self confidence. I belive these are some of the things that make you a target and not just because you have a gun on your hip.

Lets pretend for a second I am a criminal ( you cc your gun ) and I see you you counting/flashig a wad of cash around. I look to see if you are paying attention to what is going on around you and low and behold you are obliviouse to your surroundings. I follow you untill just the right moment and then, whap, you get one to the grape and down you go. Now I take your wallet, check your other pockets for goodies, and check it out I find your gun as well. Well i'm taking everything I just found on you including your gun. Thank you for the gifts and if you were next to you car i'm taking that as well.

On the other hand your an OC'er and I see that same wad of cash and your gun ( i'm drooling at this point ) as well I do the same thing, check to see if you are in this world or another. Pick my place and time and then whap to the old grape and down you go. Only diff is I grab your gun first and then the rest of your goodies to boot.

Either way OC/CC you presented me with an easy target and I took advantage of it. You both rewarded me with an early Christmas present and I want to thank you for that.

Lets play it a little different this time. I see three people could be anywhere doing anything at any time. One is an OC'er the other is a CC'er and the third is an older person with some sort of issue. Who do I choose? Well the OC'er is paying attention to what is going on around him and even though his gun sure looks good to me he's not an easy mark and taking a chance with him and maybe getting shot it isn't worth the risk. The CC'er is paying attention as well and I think he eyed me so forget that no surprise attack and no easy goodies. Now the older person is off in la-la-land and has no clue what is going on around them, heres my mark, WHAP, I have all my goodies I was hoping for and then some.

My whole point of this is, whether you CC or you OC do not leave yourself open as an easy target. Criminals look for and prey on the weak and non suspecting people. Head up, pay attention, be confident and don't become a victim.

...what if I'm too slow??? I'd rather be found dead with dirty underwear on than with a Hi Point on my person...it would shame my dear mother so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Better still, do it yourself. Carry an empty Hi Point on your weak side hip, then drill him with the BUG when he makes his move.
    0331 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 0331 View Post
    I just don't understand any reason you would want an attacker or anyone for that matter to know that you have a firearm. Some say deterrent, quick to the draw, etc. but if you keep good SA (situational awareness) at all times, you should be able to engage any target just as quick. As far as a deterrent goes, yes that is
    understandable IF the BG spots you and changes his mind. Also, if your really needing to carry as a deterrent for crime, well you have a $500+ firearm on your
    hip, so if your OC, you should definitely act as a hard target.
    It is not a matter of WANTING an attacker to know you are carrying. More like it really is not relevant or simply a matter of not wanting to be unarmed when dressed appropriately for hot weather. The whole sky is falling you will be a target has been beaten to death. There is far more documentation that a visible firearm has been a deterrent than of someone ever being targeted due to a visible firearm. Contrary to what you may think criminals are not gun fighting warriors. Not ferocious lions, rather they are vultures, sleazy slimy slithering cowards looking for an easy fix. Even though the penalty is exactly the same, there is a reason that stop and robs are robbed far more often than banks and it is not because stop and robs have more money available than banks.
    tcox4freedom and Ogre like this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Oh for Petes sakes!! Dont you guys watch the movies??? Outlaw Josie Wales showed us all the text book method of carry. Two six shooters and a third shoved into the front of the gun belt AND a bug in a shoulder holster under a poncho.
    With that set up and good fast horse you can take on a whole gang of comancheros, kill them all, the Union army, back down the Comanche Nation and get the girl too!!!
    Whats not to like????

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Good lord not again.

There are also cases of OC'ers being robbed of their firearms at gunpoint and attempted gun grabs so there, now we are even.
    Please post a link to some examples of that occurring more than once or twice. My understanding is it is extremely rare

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Please post a link to some examples of that occurring more than once or twice. My understanding is it is extremely rare
    Please post the same for open carry. It also is extremely rare.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Please post the same for open carry. It also is extremely rare.
    Isn't that what I said? That it is extremely rare for an OC'er to be targeted. But I am open to learning if those ranting about how OC makes you a target can provide credible verifiable evidence that it does I'd be happy to learn from them. But I am not going to accept as fact what some guy says on an internet forum parroting what they read on an internet forum.
    carracer likes this.

Google" open carry gun stolen".
    I would just as soon that it didn't happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    A gun on your hip makes you a target...

Without trying to sound too cold hearted isn't this a good thing?
    Depends on the BG in question, I'd say.

Like the rest of us, not all BG's are built alike, and not all are on top form on a given day/job. Most probably won't identify a person who's carrying. Some will. And some will probably even target those looking like the "tastiest" target, whether to take out that target first or to get what the target's carrying (coat, jewelry, gun, car, whatever).

I agree with you, that in some situations it could turn out well to be visibly armed and identified as such. In other situations, it could turn out well to be the "surprise" element and off the radar until the moment of truth. The trouble is, we'll never know which would be the most beneficial for the situation about to unfold. Lost my crystal ball years ago.

And so, I tend to go concealed, occasionally carry openly to venues and with people where I feel comfortable doing so. And I hope that I'll be able to recognize and effectively affect outcomes in a situation if it does arise. About all we can hope for, really.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    Google" open carry gun stolen".
    I would just as soon that it didn't happen to me.
    Google "Conceal carrier forced to defend himself"

I'd soon that didn't ever happen to me.

But, I am FORCED to take that risk every time I leave home; because some AG/anti-OC sheeple are afraid to allow a law abiding citizen OC in South Carolina.

-
    carracer and blitzburgh like this.

By the logic of the OP....doesn't using a cane make one a target too? How about a limp? Being a older woman?

Wow. I have so many targets on me....I should really watch going to a firing range.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Isn't that what I said? That it is extremely rare for an OC'er to be targeted. But I am open to learning if those ranting about how OC makes you a target can provide credible verifiable evidence that it does I'd be happy to learn from them. But I am not going to accept as fact what some guy says on an internet forum parroting what they read on an internet forum.
    Yes, I misread the post. My oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    By the logic of the OP....doesn't using a cane make one a target too? How about a limp? Being a older woman?

Wow. I have so many targets on me....I should really watch going to a firing range.
    Unfortunately those things do make you a target, while criminals are often referred to as predators they are not typically the lion wolf variety of predator. More like carrion eaters (I AM NOT implying you or I for that matter are carrion) jackals and vultures looking for the weakest most vulnerable prey. Being a mature woman with a limp and cane implies that you are vulnerable and defenseless. Just as being an old man with a limp and cane makes me look like prey. Being armed is what makes us equal to the 300 pound buff gorilla fresh out of the joint looking to take his rage out on someone.
    Spirit51 and BurgerBoy like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links