A gun on your hip makes you a target...

This is a discussion on A gun on your hip makes you a target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm running out of guns to carry. Every time I open carry I get shot or robbed. Getting pretty tired of it. I may just ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: A gun on your hip makes you a target...

I'm running out of guns to carry. Every time I open carry I get shot or robbed. Getting pretty tired of it. I may just get a Raven .25 or Jennings .22 and conceal carry from now on.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I'm running out of guns to carry. Every time I open carry I get shot or robbed. Getting pretty tired of it. I may just get a Raven .25 or Jennings .22 and conceal carry from now on.
    Have one (Raven .25). Open carry it. The criminals laugh and walk off.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if you lined up 10 criminals and told them the following two scenarios they would avoid the man with the gun.

1) You go in a convenience store with the intention of robbing it. Everyone there looks like normal businessmen after work. Seems safe. What do you do?
    2) You go in a convenience store with the intention of robbing it. One guy there is wearing a gun, openly no less. You notice it plain as day. What do you do?
    I bet you get the same chest-thumping answers you'd get here to any scenerio you pose. What one says he'd do, what one thinks he'd do, is most likely not what he'd do in real life. I'm bad; and shoulda, coulda, woulda.

A smart criminal would walk away, but then they are criminals after all.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I bet you get the same chest-thumping answers you'd get here to any scenerio you pose. What one says he'd do, what one thinks he'd do, is most likely not what he'd do in real life. I'm bad; and shoulda, coulda, woulda.

A smart criminal would walk away, but then they are criminals after all.
    Right, but the point is. They don't want a fight, they want easy pickings. If they know they will have a fight, it's at least somewhat likely that they'll pick a different target.

I have no problem with people deciding that they would rather conceal. I think that way for myself too. However, I see absolutely nothing wrong at all with the option should someone decide they want to take the open carry option. To me it's the purest expression of the second amendment. A display of our freedom to defend ourselves.
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Right, but the point is. They don't want a fight, they want easy pickings. If they know they will have a fight, it's at least somewhat likely that they'll pick a different target.

I have no problem with people deciding that they would rather conceal. I think that way for myself too. However, I see absolutely nothing wrong at all with the option should someone decide they want to take the open carry option. To me it's the purest expression of the second amendment. A display of our freedom to defend ourselves.
    Your moving the goal posts with that statement however. I absolutely agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with it either. I don't think it's the best option of the two, but I don't see anything wrong with it. What I was discussing in light of the OP however, is the tactical advantage I believe CC gives me in that it gives me the choice to get involved whereas, otherwise, a person OC is dependent on the assailant/BG's ability to overlook things.

Those are two different discussions.

Any bg that would shoot an OCer first upon committing felony robbery would probably shoot a few people that are remotely capable of slowing their crime clock. Many of them tend to shoot the clerks or cashiers and witness upon exit. So the chance of being targeted is impossible to know. But OCers would much less likely have to deal with misdemeanor and low level felony mugging as these opportunist thugs tend to go for easy targets. The major concern for OCers are punks mocking and showing disrespect, especially if carriers are minority or elders. This is why it is not a good idea to be lone OCer and malls or places popular with low income idiots are to be avoided when OC.

I always look like I am having a bad day because I tend to always do so people tend to stay away unless they have something to sell.

What do you do about somebody grabbing your gun? I don't want to have to worry every time somebody bumps into me in the store.

I would say open carry is fine when afield, but in a populated area where you're being jostled and you never can tell which of the people within 10 feet of you is a threat, I sure wouldn't consider it. I'm old enough to realize I'm not Superman, there are plenty of people strong enough and fast enough to wrest a gun away from me if I don't see them coming. But if they don't know where it is, they can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    What do you do about somebody grabbing your gun? I don't want to have to worry every time somebody bumps into me in the store.

I would say open carry is fine when afield, but in a populated area where you're being jostled and you never can tell which of the people within 10 feet of you is a threat, I sure wouldn't consider it. I'm old enough to realize I'm not Superman, there are plenty of people strong enough and fast enough to wrest a gun away from me if I don't see them coming. But if they don't know where it is, they can't do that.
    Exactly! I'm willing to bet every open carrier here has lost two or three guns! Just last week I was walking in a building to visit a friend and had one taken right out of my Serpa retention holster! Then, while I was trying to get out of the flash mob my other one was taken! Next time I go to an old folks home I'm going to stay away from the wheel chair gangs!
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links