A gun on your hip makes you a target...

This is a discussion on A gun on your hip makes you a target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without trying to sound too cold hearted isn't this a good thing? If the bad guys attention is drawn towards the open carrier ans away ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: A gun on your hip makes you a target...

A gun on your hip makes you a target...

Without trying to sound too cold hearted isn't this a good thing? If the bad guys attention is drawn towards the open carrier ans away from you doesn't that make you safer? Wouldn't it give you time to either get away or if you are carrying concealed to draw your weapon and take a shot at the bad guy without him even knowing you were there. This sounds great to me. You have your own personal decoy to draw fire and attention away from you.

I have to admire you for your concern for the safety of a total stranger who is doing something that puts his life in danger. I have to ask is his life that important to you or is it just that you feel he shouldn't be doing something that you yourself do not approve of?

Michael
    Badey, carracer and tcox4freedom like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Without trying to sound too cold hearted isn't this a good thing? If the bad guys attention is drawn towards the open carrier ans away from you doesn't that make you safer? Wouldn't it give you time to either get away or if you are carrying concealed to draw your weapon and take a shot at the bad guy without him even knowing you were there. This sounds great to me. You have your own personal decoy to draw fire and attention away from you.

I have to admire you for your concern for the safety of a total stranger who is doing something that puts his life in danger. I have to ask is his life that important to you or is it just that you feel he shouldn't be doing something that you yourself do not approve of?

Michael
    Better still, do it yourself. Carry an empty Hi Point on your weak side hip, then drill him with the BUG when he makes his move.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Opps I mis titled this. It was supposed to be this.
    A gun on your hip makes you a target.
    Can I change that?

Michael

No.
    But I can.
    HotGuns
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 13th, 2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: changed title

I think one of the staff members will have to do it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Michael
    Well then...Thank you for your service to all of us in the CC community. We would be no where without you

I don't actually plan to open carry. I do feel relieved that I won't have to worry so much about printing or what might happen if I reach up to a top shelf in a store and my firearm or holster is accidentally exposed for a second. Also, as hot as it gets here in summer, I appreciate the opportunity to have options even though I may not choose to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Well then...Thank you for your service to all of us in the CC community. We would be no where without you
    I will be one of those carrying concealed. So like you I would like to thank those who have chosen to fall of the grenade for us. When they stand up for their rights they not only protect my life but my rights as well. Win win for me and all others who believe in gun rights.

Michael
    carracer and marcclarke like this.

I will be one of those carrying concealed. So like you I would like to thank those who have chosen to fall of the grenade for us. When they stand up for their rights they not only protect my life but my rights as well. Win win for me and all others who believe in gun rights.

Michael
    Priceless......
    carracer, rickohio and marcclarke like this.

I'm not so sure about the OC making you a target argument. I posted a link in another thread about a BG walking past an OCer to shoot a store clerk; the BG was subsequently shot by the OCer. Also, from my experience and the experiences of others most people don't even notice when you OC.

While your digging under all those layers of clothing to get to your gun, I'll be the guy with my gun out and on target. You can thank me for saving your life after you get done muzzling your hand trying to reholster in your IWB pancake rig.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

talk about feeling used.... here honey wear this gun on your hip... Naaa no one will notice

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    talk about feeling used.... here honey wear this gun on your hip... Naaa no one will notice
    Then when she spots a group of cops she starts yelling. Gun! Gun! He's got a Gun!.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    Chances are that if a person is open carrying in a state that allows it, no one will be shouting "Gun!".

Also, there is little evidence to say that carrying a gun openly makes one an intentional target. While that may be true in a war zone, we arent there yet.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I wonder how many non gun people realize that open carry is legal in their particular state. Not many, I'll bet.

VIP Member
    I think the end goal with OC is that there is a cultural shift in thinking. After a while there will be enough folks OCing that nobody is "out there" doing it alone.

It may be easy to single out one armed man as your fist victim but it's a whole different problem trying to take on a legion.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Yep, OC'ing made this guy the target, didn't it.

By: Reed Williams | Times-Dispatch
    Published: July 12, 2009 Updated: July 12, 2009 - 5:01 AM
    A gunman who had wounded a shopkeeper and opened fire on several customers was stopped yesterday when another man shot him at the store in South Richmond, authorities said.

The violent attempted robbery took place shortly after 1 p.m. at the Golden Food Market at 2701 Jefferson Davis Highway, the same store where another man was shot last month -- and only three blocks from the scene of another robbery in June that left a shopkeeper dead.

Owners of as many as a dozen Jefferson Davis-area businesses flocked to the scene of the shooting, and many were rattled by such a brazen daylight attack, said Councilwoman Reva Trammell, whose 8th District includes the Jefferson Davis corridor.

Trammell, who arrived outside the store shortly after yesterday's shootings, described a frenzied scene. One man told Trammell that the man who had shot the robber was a guardian angel.

"Whoever did it probably saved their lives in there," Trammell said of the shooter.

Police did not identify anyone involved in yesterday's shootings.

The man who shot the robber is a friend of the store owner, and he was wearing a holster with a Western-style revolver, said Managing Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Tracy Thorne-Begland.

After the suspect shot the store owner and opened fire on patrons, the owner's friend shot the suspect once in the torso, took his gun and called police, Thorne-Begland said.

Thorne-Begland said it appeared that the shooting of the suspect was justified, although he emphasized that the investigation was in the early stages.

Police said they expect to file charges against the suspect.

The store owner's injuries did not appear life-threatening, authorities said, but the gunman's injuries were said to be life-threatening. No one else was hurt.

Anthony Gregory, who lives near Golden Food, said he was in the store about 15 minutes before the shootings, and that while he was there, he saw a man with a baby making a purchase.

Gregory said the owner told the baby, "Welcome to the world. This is a dangerous world, so be careful. But don't worry, God will protect you."

Police Cmdr. Steve Drew said officers had been patrolling up and down Jefferson Davis yesterday and recently have bolstered their presence in the area. He said it was unusual for a commercial robbery to happen so early in the day.

The previous shooting at Golden Food took place late the night of June 12. And three nights earlier, a co-owner of the Come and Go Food Market, which is about three blocks north of Golden Food on Jefferson Davis, was shot and killed in a robbery.

Authorities said it was too early to know whether any of the three shootings on Jefferson Davis are connected.

A few hours after yesterday's shootings, Said "Sam" Messaf, the man who was shot June 12 at Golden Food, was at the store to help another man shut down the market.

Messaf described how he had been helping out at the store June 12 when two robbers came inside. One man opened fire, reaching over the counter and shooting as Messaf cowered behind it, he said. Messaf was shot six times in his legs.

He said he suffered nerve damage in his left leg and has trouble sleeping.

Trammell said residents and business owners were scared by the recent violence but have faith that police are doing their best to stop it.

"I'm still shook up," Trammell said. "I'm not afraid, but we've worked so hard on Jefferson Davis -- so hard in that area to bring crime down."

Two shot in South Richmond store | Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links