OK Gov. Fallin signs open carry

This is a discussion on OK Gov. Fallin signs open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oklahoma law enforcement prepares for open-carry law | NewsOK.com Police also will have to determine how to handle calls from the public when someone is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: OK Gov. Fallin signs open carry

Oklahoma law enforcement prepares for open-carry law

Oklahoma law enforcement prepares for open-carry law | NewsOK.com

Police also will have to determine how to handle calls from the public when someone is spotted carrying a firearm.
    Hopefully they will train the 911 operators in what the new law says.
    Midwest City police will check for permits when they encounter someone openly carrying a gun, Assistant Chief Sid Porter said.

“When public safety comes up, that is No. 1,” Porter said. “If we see someone carrying a weapon in a holster, they have to have a permit on them and would be asked to show it. Anybody with a weapon on their side is considered a suspicious person.”
    If Midwest City chooses to expend its time and manpower on this it is their choice. However I do hope that if they do take this course of action they will train their officers how to do it without turning it into a unpleasant confrontation.
    As far as everyone who open carries being a suspicious person. Suspicious of what exactly? While I will take note of anyone I see with a weapon that does not mean that I suspect them of being some kind of criminal.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

This really irritated me when I read this last evening. Do they stop every driver to see if they have a driver's license? And goodness, MWC has more than their share of really big problems that they need to be addressing ... murders, illicit behaviors in their public parks, drugs, etc. ... but they are going to stop every single OCer. Maybe it is because they have such a very big crime problem that they think their criminals will start OCing. I wouldn't be surprised.

midwest city police will check for permits when they encounter someone openly carrying a gun, assistant chief sid porter said.

“when public safety comes up, that is no. 1,” porter said. “if we see someone carrying a weapon in a holster, they have to have a permit on them and would be asked to show it. Anybody with a weapon on their side is considered a suspicious person.”
    Papers!!!! You vill show your identity papers!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Someone needs to clue MWC PD in to the fact that if someone is open-carrying in a holster, that person is at least 99% likely to be a good guy. Do they really think gang members are going to go around open carrying? Not saying its impossible, just extremely unlikely.
    64zebra likes this.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

midwest city police will check for permits when they encounter someone openly carrying a gun, assistant chief sid porter said.

“when public safety comes up, that is no. 1,” porter said. “if we see someone carrying a weapon in a holster, they have to have a permit on them and would be asked to show it. Anybody with a weapon on their side is considered a suspicious person.”
    Do they think they're in Tennessee or something?

I think at some point soon after this Law goes into effect we will be needing a ruling from the State AG on whether or not a person can be questioned or detained simply on the basis of openly carrying.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Common sense goes a long way.....great job Gov. and congrats to the good people of Oklahoma.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Heard today something that pleases me more than the open carry issue, the bill she signed also has provision for the authorities to NOT be able to confiscate weapons in the event of an emergency.

Personally I think I'll pass on open carry in public but that's just me.
    stancehold and 64zebra like this.

Some of us in Oklahoma will probably never open carry intentionally. We did not fight for open carry so much as we did for the freedom choose.

Michael
    jace33 likes this.

I'm going to have to write Rick Perry. Texas can't be less gun-y than Oklahoma! Think of the children!
    Buckj, mlr1m, 64zebra and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Some of us in Oklahoma will probably never open carry intentionally. We did not fight for open carry so much as we did for the freedom choose.

Michael
    same here, with one exception. The day this goes into effect, I plan on open carry. Just to celebrate and do a wally walk. :-) then I'll go back to concealed, and just not worry about exposure so much.
    64zebra likes this.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    If I had a dollar for all the things I've said I would never do, then did, I'd be rich and living the life of ease. Never is a LONG, long time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't plan on doing it in town, but I look forward to being able to carry openly out on the plains.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Talking

Midwest City residents need to organize an "Open Carry Day" starting the first Saturday in November. Bet they would get the police chief to realize they don't have the manpower to check everyone. Make it a big event at the start and those if us from the surrounding states could come to enjoy the event!

Did something similar at a business in Arizona. They're required to check and store firearms in they prohibit firearms in the store. By lunch the store changed it's policy and the no firearms sign came down ...
    64zebra likes this.
    Have Laptop, Will Travel

Way to go Oklahoma.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links