Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

This is a discussion on Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my take. Do what you want to do, but if you feel the need to OC then you are putting yourself out there as ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

VIP Member
    Here's my take. Do what you want to do, but if you feel the need to OC then you are putting yourself out there as a poster boy (or gal) for gun rights. You need to remember that whatever you do is going to reflect on the rest of us. If you are a polite ambassador of the 2A community then you are doing us a service by OCing. If you are a jackwagon then you are hurting us all.

Every time you OC, whether you realize it or not, people are noticing your gun. At the end of the day those people will go home to their families and talk about you. Then, later, they will go to the voting booth. What impression do you want to leave them with?
    Thunder71, suntzu, Badey and 14 others like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

I agree, open carriers should have some tact and lose the 'I carry because it's my RIGHT' attitude and be human about it. Just because someone asks why you're carrying a gun doesn't mean you have to verbally defend yourself.

That said, I do think most open carriers are quite polite and do represent the gun community in a positive light - it's the few looking for conflict that are the exception, not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Here's my take. Do what you want to do, but if you feel the need to OC then you are putting yourself out there as a poster boy (or gal) for gun rights. You need to remember that whatever you do is going to reflect on the rest of us. If you are a polite ambassador of the 2A community then you are doing us a service by OCing. If you are a jackwagon then you are hurting us all.

Every time you OC, whether you realize it or not, people are noticing your gun. At the end of the day those people will go home to their families and talk about you. Then, later, they will go to the voting booth. What impression do you want to leave them with?
    atctimmy... The ambassador of cool.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    atctimmy... The ambassador of cool.
    Remember when SIXTO said he was cooler that atctimmy?

I don't think so.
    tcox4freedom and Bark'n like this.

Those guys need to shut up.

I'm so sick and tired of people acting as though open carriers are doing something wrong all the time. We have enough anti-gunners doing what they can to shut us down, this kind of crap doesn't help.

There was a study done and most inmates prefer targets without guns - someone with a gun is not identified as an easy target, they typically move on because it's not worth the risk of getting shot.

I don't make this stuff up, there's documentation to back it up, vs this is what I think. I lean toward favoring the odds... the chances of me needing my firearm in defense is pretty slim, if I can knock off another 60% chance on top of that, why not? Because some pro gun and anti gun people don't like it?

Open Carry eliminates the problem with cops and the CC law. I like the option of the attacker seeing my gun. The OC option would be for special situations, not to have a chrome 1911 at a crowded mall.

Thank You! From someones mouth,other than mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Most of you know my feelings about one of the two instructors, so I won't go into it here, but it is hard for me to see that name without wondering what someone like that has to offer after what he did when it was show time.

Anyway, I support anything positive in the firearms community, whether it's something I'd do or not. For me, I prefer to keep it concealed. I don't care what kind of attention it draws or what others think of it, I just don't want it hanging out there like that. There is that one instance though where some old timer was carrying a single action 44 in a large belt/holster that the bad guy completely overlooked and robbed the store. They ended up in a running gunfight through the store with either the hammer or trigger breaking off of the single action, yet he still was able to use it. So, apparently it's possible that it's not noticed by someone focused on what they're about to do.

I would be glad to see others open carrying. Though it's not something I do, if I was in a state that allowed open carry but didn't recognize my Texas CHL, I'd make an exception.

If someone through my handgun downrange, someone may end up flying downrange behind it.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    The only thing in that video I personally agree with is; OC'ing for a political statement and/or doing it to challenge LE is a bad idea.

(Otherwise, it is two guys opinion. They stated ZERO facts or stats to back up their opinion.)

-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Remember when SIXTO said he was cooler that atctimmy?

I don't think so.
    Great now I'll have to be looking over my shoulder all the time. SIXTO if you're out there I had nothing to do with this comment.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

While I may disagree its the ONLY legal way I can carry in Virginia right now so it is what it is atleast they acknowledged that and everyones entitled to their opinion

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

I have no problem with experts offering their opinions on the merits of open carry. The problem comes later when either those experts or others use that opinion to justify denying others the right to choose how they will carry.

Michael

Open carry in NC is free...to conceal carry is over 200 bucks...jus sayin...

While I can afford it, others may not be able to. Concealed carry in NC is just a money maker for the state.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I don't see any problem with them stating their opinion. I really does not matter if the are good instructors or bad or ever teach at all... It's opinion.

OC I believe is just another option and has a time and place. For myself , I like to hike and shoot photos from a dual sport bike often in the middle of nowhere. That is when I OC. I don't want / need anything jamming into my side when I am moving over difficult terrain. In public I use a IWB, a time and place for everything.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Like so many have said, both have their pros and cons and both have their time and place. I'm grateful to live in a state that allows both. I support both. I practice both. It depends on where I'm going, who's around, how I'm dressed and what mood I'm in. I've had some dirty looks but no actual encounters with antis. Every time my gun is seen and no crime is committed it supports the theory that guns aren't just for cops and bad guys. I don't carry for political reasons or for attention but I try to make sure those that do notice see a positive example of the gun community.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I OC sometimes, probably more in the summer due to attire. However, I do not do it for a political statement. It do not do it to get attention, just part of my everyday life.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Dang it, I wanted XS Big Dots for my Shield, now I find out James Yeager endorses them - so much for that, guess it's Trijicons or something else now.

Edit:
    Do to some people taking me seriously I have to add this disclaimer that it's not James that's making me decide to look at other options, it's just the smart thing to do. I was kidding and thought it went without saying.
    Last edited by Thunder71; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links