Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

This is a discussion on Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If Yeager wants me to take him seriously about not open carrying to shock people, he should dump the t-shirt with the skulls and cover ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If Yeager wants me to take him seriously about not open carrying to shock people, he should dump the t-shirt with the skulls and cover up the tats running down his arm. As far as Pincus opinion on concealed carry being just as fast as open carrying, why do cops open carry?
    TN_Mike and JDKinman like this.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    If Yeager wants me to take him seriously about not open carrying to shock people, he should dump the t-shirt with the skulls and cover up the tats running down his arm. As far as Pincus opinion on concealed carry being just as fast as open carrying, why do cops open carry?

After you add a vest, duty belt, retention holster, radio, taser, cuffs, mag carrier, impact weapon, OC spray (LE Size, not something small) etc. to your belt, conealing it all up would not be very easy or practical, and that's just with the standard load out. Even after all that, you're still in a uniform that declares "I HAVE A GUN"

However in the winter when a heavy coat is needed, they are carrying concealed.

To look at the issue objectively and remove the uniformed patrol officer etc. you need to look at plain clothes officers, and most of the time they carry concealed.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    This is from guys who train people for a living.
    More specifically, guys whose professions are concealed carry training. Of course they are going to advocate concealed carry.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    More specifically, guys whose professions are concealed carry training. Of course they are going to advocate concealed carry.
    Actually a majority of the training from each is carry method neutral.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Actually a majority of the training from each is carry method neutral.

I don't see any "concealed carry" training here:
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com/courses.php

Nor do I see any here:
    http://www.icetraining.us/training_courses.php

to say that they are in the business of selling "concealed carry training" seems a little short sighted when you look at what is actually being taught and regardless of carry method I'm pretty sure the content of either instructor's courses would be on benefit in terms of increasing gun handling and shooting skill.

VIP Member
    Autofan if the fact Yeager wears t shirts with skulls and has tats deter's you from taking him seriously that is your business. I have learned many things from folks despite what they wore or how they looked, it is what is between their ears that counts.
    carracer likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I strongly support those who open carry in AZ.
    There is alot of jabber on both sides of the issue. I weight these two fellas comments the same as I would anyone else - opinions.
    TN_Mike and JDKinman like this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Thank you>
    Quote Originally Posted by bark'n View Post
    if this thread goes where i think it's headed, it will be closed quickly!

the open carry section of this forum is for those in support of open carry.

The opinions expressed by the persons in the video are their opinions. You can take that information for what it's worth.

Any back and forth on the pros and cons or arguing which way is better and this whole thread will go away.

you've been warned!

I guess I'm with AutoFan on this one. If James Yeager walked into a store I was in, I'd be watching him closer than I would someone with a bit more of a conservative appearance whether they were carrying a weapon or not. I don't think he's much of a spokesman for any kind of carry at first glance.

That said; sure, he may be articulate, intelligent, and an all around nice guy, but first impressions are important. He doesn't make a very good one.

On the other hand, I am seriously lusting after that digital camo FJ Cruiser behind them.
    Vobis Non Me Dux!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Great now I'll have to be looking over my shoulder all the time. SIXTO if you're out there I had nothing to do with this comment.
    If you had only open carried your cool it would have never been an issue but no, you chose to conceal it and now your paying the price for not displaying it openly. The true ambassador for cool would realize that brandishing "cool" occasionally will go far in dispelling any fears of cool.

+1 on your view of OC.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    I guess I'm with AutoFan on this one. If James Yeager walked into a store I was in, I'd be watching him closer than I would someone with a bit more of a conservative appearance whether they were carrying a weapon or not. I don't think he's much of a spokesman for any kind of carry at first glance.

That said; sure, he may be articulate, intelligent, and an all around nice guy, but first impressions are important. He doesn't make a very good one.

On the other hand, I am seriously lusting after that digital camo FJ Cruiser behind them.
    Yeager isn't an intelligent guy. I've met him more than once and he is a dunce. That's the nicest way I can put it. If I told you what all he actually is I would incur infractions. Leave it at that.

He is also widely regarded as a coward for his actions while working in Iraq with a civilian security company. Plus, there are numerous stories of him sweeping students at his "training facility" in Camden TN with loaded weapons. As well as putting camera men down range while he shoots live ammo down the same range to get cool video for his site and his "training videos".

Don't take my word for it. Google this tool. You'll find lots of links. As I said before, I wouldn't recommend Yeager to someone I don't like. So I also won't take anything he says serious.

Pincus is a serious guy that I have respect for. A little less now that he appeared in a video with a tool like Yeager but, that's beside the point. I happen to disagree with Pincus on this. Just because he is a famous instructor doesn't mean he knows everything or that I have to agree with him. I don't agree with Ayoob 100% of the time either.
    Anubis, Bark'n and JDKinman like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

RKM
    Open carrying isn't for me for various reasons. Number one being, I don't want attention. I don't want confrontations. I don't want angry people to tell me carrying a gun is wrong. I don't open carry to try and look cool or prove some kind of point. I conceal carry because I blend in and still have the ability to protect myself. I don't want any of the "bad" associated with open carry. I do however respect and support people who open carry. I just don't like when I see the videos or people purposefully trying to start trouble with the police and prove a point. It's obnoxious and it makes them look ridiculous.

People have the right to open carry if that's how the decide to do so, and I support that.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    To clarify what I wrote, he states that people open carry for the shock value. He says this while wearing a t-shirt with skulls on it and tats running all the way up and down his arm, both of which are to shock the "straights" and say "look at me!"

And I still contend that OC is faster and less likely to foul on the draw, no matter how much you practice drawing from CC, which is why street cops and military don't conceal carry. Detectives CC because it is part of the image of not being a street cop.
    Anubis and TN_Mike like this.

VIP Member
    which is why street cops and military don't conceal carry.

Street cops don't conceal because they are a uniformed presence, military do not conceal as it is not allowed, in a war zone anyway.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good stuff. I'm sure I'm late to the game but thanks for the link.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links