Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

This is a discussion on Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 which is why street cops and military don't conceal carry. Street cops don't conceal because they are a uniformed presence, military ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Rob Pincus and James Yeager on Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    which is why street cops and military don't conceal carry.

Street cops don't conceal because they are a uniformed presence, military do not conceal as it is not allowed, in a war zone anyway.
    So, the military is not a uniformed presence? Military doesn't conceal because part of the purpose for military is to have your weapon at ready. Concealed is not ready. More of the military position is intimidation of your enemy. As CC'ers testify, concealed does not intimidate. Part of the open carry purpose is deterrence of crime. Concealed does not deter anything. As far as element of surprise is concerned it is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. concealed carry could almost be referred to as "Baiting"!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    So, the military is not a uniformed presence? Military doesn't conceal because part of the purpose for military is to have your weapon at ready. Concealed is not ready. More of the military position is intimidation of your enemy. As CC'ers testify, concealed does not intimidate. Part of the open carry purpose is deterrence of crime. Concealed does not deter anything. As far as element of surprise is concerned it is an offensive tactic not a defensive one. concealed carry could almost be referred to as "Baiting"!
    Lets not make to big of an issue of the Military / LE and concealed carry...

Pistols are secondary weapons for 90% or better of the Military, and it's kind of hard to conceal carbines and machine guns.
    Those fields where pistols are the norm are your Military Police. See previous post about the absurdity of trying to hide full duty gear.

Concealed carry for uniformed Military and LE just doesn't make any sense and has nothing to do with "civilian" carry of arms and they have no reason to do so.

Open Carry of arms for "civilians" makes sense in some applications, as does concealed, both of which have nothing to do with the carrying of arms by LE and Military.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    The bold portion is why I OC. I carry to defend myself/loved ones. I would prefer to be able to defend WITHOUT drawing my firearm, I don't want to shoot anyone. OC is the best way to defend without drawing a weapon. I will only draw if I mean to fire, if I mean to fire I mean to END the threat to me/mine. An OC'd weapon says to the world at large and BGs in particular "This guy can and WILL end any threat". CC tells no one anything, a CCer looks just like anyother potential victim.

Concealed = ordinary joe, undefended, easy target. Open=well defended, threat. I WANT to be a threat to the bad guys, I dont want them to think I am a soft target. To show them otherwise when CC I will have to draw my weapon and as stated earlier, if my weapon clears leather the S don HTF and someone is gonna get lead poisoning.

CC does not intimidate, intimidation is deterence, deterence is an end to threat. End of threat is my reason to carry at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    The bold portion is why I OC. I carry to defend myself/loved ones. I would prefer to be able to defend WITHOUT drawing my firearm, I don't want to shoot anyone. OC is the best way to defend without drawing a weapon. I will only draw if I mean to fire, if I mean to fire I mean to END the threat to me/mine. An OC'd weapon says to the world at large and BGs in particular "This guy can and WILL end any threat". CC tells no one anything, a CCer looks just like anyother potential victim.

Concealed = ordinary joe, undefended, easy target. Open=well defended, threat. I WANT to be a threat to the bad guys, I dont want them to think I am a soft target. To show them otherwise when CC I will have to draw my weapon and as stated earlier, if my weapon clears leather the S don HTF and someone is gonna get lead poisoning.

CC does not intimidate, intimidation is deterence, deterence is an end to threat. End of threat is my reason to carry at all.
    This is one of many valid reasons to OC.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

sgb
    In Florida non Uniformed as well as Off duty LE are often seen to be open carrying as the law allows them the privilege. Why? Simple, it's because it gets unholy hot and humid here and open carry makes more sense. Unfortunately the Florida retail association and the Florida Sheriff's association (both very powerful lobbies even the NRA won't take on) feel us lowly citizens have no need for the same comfort open carry allows.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

They make their living coming up with ideas about carrying and use. good for them but then again that is their idea it may or may not be mine.
    If I chose to open carry and follow the law it is my right and I do not really need to care one bit what anyone else has to say about.
    Any LEO that interferes with my rights is breaking the law and should be held accountable.
    You must always keep in mind all the "experts " have to keep coming up with some thing to keep their name alive and push their brand.
    100 years from now we will be hashing out the same old stuff.
    If you chose to pen carry do so if you chose not to then don't.
    It has been brought up if Wisconsin courts had not ruled we did have a constitutional right to open carry, we would have likely never gotten CC passed.
    If LEO and agencies quit playing games the issue will fade away.
    4 more shot in Milwaukee the other night within 4 hours not one involved a person open carrying or CC legally.
    Focus on the real problem not what I am doing.

CJM
    Open carry will always be a hot button topic, even amongst us gun people. I'm glad that it's legal to OC here in WA for the folks that wish to do so, even though CC is my preferred, default, go to method. I like each individual gun carrier to make the decision for themselves as to which method they will use to carry their gun, not some bureaucrat.
    carracer likes this.

This is one issue that I'm pro choice, but I opt to CC.
    carracer likes this.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    If James Yeager walked into a store I was in, I'd be watching him closer than I would someone with a bit more of a conservative appearance whether they were carrying a weapon or not.
    So is it the tats, the bald head, or the long goatee that makes you uncomfortable? The reason I ask is because I shave my head, have a longish goatee, but no tats whatsoever, and I'm way bigger than Yeager is, and I don't think I make people nervous in public. I could, but it certainly isn't the impression I get when around strangers.

Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    If James Yeager walked into a store I was in, I'd be watching him closer than I would someone with a bit more of a conservative appearance whether they were carrying a weapon or not.

When someones views do not line up with ours, we resort to personal attacks rather than articulating our own point of view. Some in the gun community do not conform with society's view on dress codes. Never judge a book by its cover.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Rob Pincus I respect but I disagree with on this subject.

James Yeager I wouldn't believe if he told me the sky was blue. I wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire and I'd love to see a meteor fall on him. He is the very definition of the term "assclownery". He's got a proven record of getting people killed by making bad decisions and I wouldn't recommend his "training" center to someone I detest.
    Gotta agree with you. I considered taking A Pincus class. They sometimes come to Knoxville. After seeing him side by side with Yeager, I've changed my mind.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    When someones views do not line up with ours, we resort to personal attacks rather than articulating our own point of view. Some in the gun community do not conform with society's view on dress codes. Never judge a book by its cover.
    My dislike has nothing to do with Yeager's opinions. But rather his knack for getting people killed because of failure to follow regulations.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    My dislike has nothing to do with Yeager's opinions. But rather his knack for getting people killed because of failure to follow regulations.
    I assume you are talking about Endinburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post

If you think that parading around in public with your pistol openly carried = end of all threats, you are seriously misguided and tactically deficient. An exposed pistol is not a magic talisman to ward off evil, and thinking that it is will inevitably lead to a complacent mindset. I prefer to have the ability to defend myself with lethal force without drawing unnecessary attention, while maintaining an awareness of my surroundings. If I see a situation developing where I feel that an armed presence may deescalate, I can always uncover. A person who walks around with their weapon exposed all of the time and relies on it to "scare bad guys away" may one day find that bad guys don't think like them. There is at least one instance of an open carrier being robbed of his weapon by a bad guy who was obviously not particularly scared. Depending on "bad guys" to use reason and logic is ridiculous.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Well, it does apparently make 60% of felons pick another victim... I get what you're saying, but at the same time some of it is just possibly incorrect.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links