Defensive Carry banner

Ridiculous OCer Baiting Cops & Neighbors

9K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
First let me say I open carry about 20% of the time. I will phase it out almost completely when all my CC holsters show up. I completely support OC.

I live in a small town of about 5800 (Bellevue, KY). I have been seeing a neighbor that OCs in sweat pants and sports shorts (no shirt or shoes) with a clip on holster that hangs down pulling his pants and shorts. This guy stands in front of his house all day smoking cigarettes and pacing back and forth. He's always looking around making eye contact with vehicles and walkers by. I want to tell him how ridiculous he looks and if he's going to OC, he should put some clothes on that support his firearm. However I never confront OCers or anyone carrying even in jest. Maybe an anonymous letter.

Last week a friend that lives on that told me there was some sort of commotion regarding a man with a gun that had Bellevue police investigating. I have open carried in front of Bellevue Police with no problem; they support it in fact. I hope this goof come to his senses and stops embarrassing himself and other OCers.

#2 ·
Are you cordially acquainted with this idiot? If so I would talk to him about it and say that since things are already cool with the town there is no need to make a point. You can leave out the part that OC'ing to make a point and looking like an idiot does not help anyway.

If you are not in a talking relationship with the man it is up to you if you would like to say something to him. I hate when folks do that.

I OC'ed yesterdday on a well populated trail for Memorial Day weekend (most folks from MA, NY, or CONN) and even then I only saw one couple that looked at me and whispered something. Some folks asked if I was a ranger which I replied I was (Army ranger LOL). I then said no, but I will be hiking home when it is getting dark and it is for protection from wildlife. (funny thing is I did see a bear on the way home). They all thought it was cool. Including the forestry folks I ran into. If you OC like it is part of yoour style and routine most folks don't care or notice.

#5 ·
I am not on speaking terms with this guy as he resides in the shallow end of the gene pool.

I OCed in Utah while visiting Arches and other NPs. My son said "dad, everyone's looking at you". I said "yeah but look how nice everyone is being to us". I had to OC because my Kentucky permit had not arrived yet.

My neighborhood is in a drug crisis. We have had about a dozen heroin overdoses in the last year. Drug related break-ins, theft and auto break-ins. I have a dealer move in across the street. Really sucks!

#4 ·
I have been seeing a neighbor that OCs in sweat pants and sports shorts (no shirt or shoes) with a clip on holster that hangs down pulling his pants and shorts. This guy stands in front of his house all day smoking cigarettes and pacing back and forth. He's always looking around making eye contact with vehicles and walkers by.
It isn't hard to imagine how well this commando will perform if he ever has to face a real threat with his gun.

#11 ·
Reactions: ericb327
#7 ·
Some people are stupid, some just want attention, then you have those who fall into both categories. This guy sounds like he not only falls into the last category, but also may be a loose cannon waiting to go off. I'd do my best to avoid him.

I have gotten to the point that I open carry most of the time. Both at work and when off. In the time that I have been OC'ing I have only had 1 negative comment, and that was when I was forced to OC. Back before CC was allowed in restaurants that served alcohol. I occasionally get positive feedback from people about it.

Every morning on my way to work, I stop for coffee and there are usually either Henrico County Police, Henrico County Sheriff Deputies and occasionally Richmond City Police in and out. None of them ever bat an eye about it. I believe the thing is I come in, do what I'm there to do, and don't flaunt it, or make a big deal over it. My interaction with them is courteous and cordial. While my dress is always jeans and either a t-shirt or polo style shirt and work boots. I'm not dirty or trashy looking. The fact that I'm 60+ probably helps too. The point is, if you go about your business, and not walk around acting cocky or with a chip on your shoulder, 99% of the people either don't notice, or don't care.

#8 ·
its story’s like this that keep politicians from voting in OCing. It the morons that flaunt it and think they are Clint Eastwood that turns the rest of the public off to the idea

#9 ·
LOL, a gun forum member complaining about the manner in which someone OC's in a self admitted drug infested community. Pacing back and forth smoking cigarettes ALL DAY. Wow! There needs to be a law!! :ticking:

#10 ·
Here is one from opencarry dot org of a guy (who annually baits the police in Portland Maine). The letter he wrote to the local PD Chief is a pretty good read, and he has video of his encounter. This guy is not so much of a nut in his approach and followup - but wanted to be noticed by the PD.

My yearly detainment in Portland.

#13 ·
But its his right to carry, who cares about what others think. If they are not comfortable with it, get over it. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Based on what has been written in multiple OC threads, why is this guy an idiot. He is exercising his right, and why should he care what others think? Most OCers say that the do not care what the sheeple think, why should this guy be any different?

#18 ·
Shorts or sweatpants, no shirt, no shoes, chain smoking and pacing back and forth infront of his house all day open carrying a handgun that appears to be hanging around his knees and giving everyone that passes by the stink eye........

Not the most rational of behavior but then it takes all kinds.

If I were the zone car and I observed this over a couple of days I may want to stop and strike up a conversation just to be friendly and polite and get a read on this citizen.

If he dosen't want to talk no harm no foul however because of his unorthodox behavior I would like to know a little more about him.

Is he legal to own a firearm ? His daily routine as described by the OP may or may not indicate a public safety concern.

OS

#28 ·
Every week or so we get into the same old thing. Look, the overwhelming majority of folks that CC do it responsibly and they hate it when some idiot makes gun owners look irresponsible. They posts go back and forth with the same themes. My question is to those of you that feel that folks that OC send the wrong message is:What on earth is your solution besides complaining everytime? Do folks that OC need to take an IQ test? Do you favor no OC zones? Look, we all understand folks like this idiot are...well idiots. But instead of pointing out the cons OC'ing from a tactical point of view (which has no bearing on any of these threads because it is the individual's choice to carry that way, right or wrong) try coming up with a solution o r ideas to curtail this behaviour becasue quite frankly, except for peer pressure or legislation, there is not much that can be done.

Just like somebody going to vote and writing in Hitler's name...it is irresponsible, ut his right and can not be legislated away to make others feel comfy about themselves.

And yes, I know it is not a great analogy but I have not had my coffee yet.

Reactions: carracer
#29 ·
It is the same old thing. That would lead me to believe that there is a problem. To be honest I think it comes down to responsibility, but there are to many different opinions on were to begin and were to end....

#31 ·
Responibility.... Like Harry says, the definition and application is what we all seem to disagree on. To most cc'ers just the mere act of open carry lacks responsibility, yet, throwing an unholstered handgun in a pocket with keys, pocket knives and other trigger guard intruding items is perfectly ok.

I agree with spidey on the safety factor being responsible. I even agree with Harryball on occasion ( but don't tell him!) about lack of responsibility of some oc'ers.

My priorities are situation awareness first, "responsible" "safe" carry second. My definition of responsible may differ from Harry's but we both agree on the safe part.

#30 ·
Sorry, OP, but I don't understand your concern. He is on his own property, pacing around smoking and carrying while shirtless? So what. He may look like a *******, but he isn't doing anything wrong. If he was doing the same thing while CCing, what is the difference? People are going to avoid him because he looks unfriendly or "unclassy".

Think about all the anti's who think your average Joe who is OCing in a button down collared shirt, slacks, and a tie while grocery shopping appears to be just as much as a threat - if not more, since he isn't on his own property. People really need to get over what "looks" bad and what is (and should be) legally within peoples rights.

#32 ·
I don't really have any concerns about my safety; he can do what he wants. I think he looks like a Friggin Goof. My point was that I think he's out there baiting neighbors and cops. People have a bad view of people carrying CC badges and make fun them as do I. How is that different from me making fun of this clown? It appears to me people come into the open carry forum to argue the same points and make ridiculous assumptions based on arguments they have had with other members. The same can be said for OCers going into the CC carry forum for the same reasons. I support everybody's right to carry. I also support our right to make fun goofs like this.

#39 ·
To make another point I was trying to make earlier, not all OC'ers are this way. This is grossly atypical.
I will agree on that. And the fact that he is being unsafe.

#41 ·
While not required by the 2A, I think it's wise to portray to others--with our words and actions--the grave responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm. I think we, as people who carry guns (CC or OC) should be even more polite and nicer than others should be to us when they know we are packing. Coming across as a irresponsible thug (even if obeying all laws while doing so) is not good PR and only instills false stereotypes in the minds of those who may vote to overthrow our 2A rights, if possible, based on ignorance and fear. No, we don't have to care what others think, but I think it would be foolish to ignore how we come across while carrying. I believe we should act lawfully, responsibly, and courteously, and if that's not enough, then so be it. If I get harassed for exercising my right, it will because of the right, itself; not because I'm acting like an inconsiderate equus africanus asinus (at least, I would hope!).

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." - 1 Thess. 5:22 (KJV)

#49 ·
While I don't necessarily agree 100%, I think you make a very valid point. I will say that it is important to portray a responsible image of OC, but I'm not going to say someone shouldn't OC just because they dress one way or another. As long as their clothing allows them to carry in a responsible way (NOT sweatpants), then I say go for it. Do I think it's a good idea to make sure that you dress and look clean and non-threatening? Yup, but you don't have to.

#44 ·
Try putting on a bikini and clipping on a glock 19 and tell me it's a responsible mode of carry. Please, read my posts and try to see the context.

A: looks like a clown.
B: baiting cops and neighbours.
C: wearing a firearm that is clearly not secured.

#47 ·
A video circulated recently showing an OC individual baiting and videotaping his encounters with LE at a Florida fishing pier. Morons like this make it tough on the rest of us. For those not knowing, in Florida you can only OC while going to and from hunting, camping, fishing or the range.

#50 ·
Well, there's really three issues here:

His dress: He has one chance to make good first impressions. He fails. Dressing that way does not make a good first impression regardless

His Clip-On: It drags down his waist band. Bad form. See "His dress" for further explanation.

Gene Pool: You could walk through that one and not get your shoes wet.

Unfortunately, we're in America.

Unfortunately, we're in America.

#52 ·
There would exist only a few gun owners in America should I start (with authority) to limit the pool due to their lack of skills, looks, etc.

Not everybody is as smart, handsome, well-off and responsible as the OP.

Thank God we live in America.

#54 ·
Marshal Dillon looked good open carrying. Deputy Fife? Well, not so much. But both were well within their rights. It would be nice if we all fit some common mold of what responsible open carriers should look and act like. Boring, but nice. If the neighbor's legally carrying, I may agree with you that he looks silly, but he's within his rights to look silly if he wants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.