Hidden in plain sight....

This is a discussion on Hidden in plain sight.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bigmacque ... Wondering if there were any other reasons folks looked at this woman and didn't notice the gun around her waist? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hidden in plain sight....

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Wondering if there were any other reasons folks looked at this woman and didn't notice the gun around her waist?
    That's what I was thinking too. Some things can easily distract most guys. Although along those same lines, some women draw plenty of attention to their waist/hip region.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. Some things can easily distract most guys. Although along those same lines, some women draw plenty of attention to their waist/hip region.
    That's true, but this woman wasn't particularly outstanding to look at and both the employees that I was with were also women. I would have thought that a woman would notice another woman open carrying, but apparently not. It wasn't a big deal, just an observation. Some people get concerned about open carry and how it portrays gun owners in a negative manner. I'm just saying that properly done, most people don't even notice. We seem to be more concerned about it than the average citizen is. Obviously this can't be a blanket statement because somebody will always find a one in a million story to contradict it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I mean, yeah, I'm sure for the most part people don't notice. But it only takes one, like the story on another thread by a guy who had the cops called on him when OC'ing in a Kinko's. He got taken outside and bent over the hood, so it's really a matter of how much risk you want to take. Oh, and it's legal in NC (where the guy lives) to OC unless somebody complains and then you can be asked to leave the area. I'm not sure the responding LEO really knew that. And that's a big part of the problem. Do your locals even know the law? Not worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    That's b/c their little curious minds are more observant than most adults :P ....especially in Pre-K through 2d grade
    I think it has more to do with size. Eye level for them is looking right at our guns. I believe that's the same reason that most people that have noticed mine have been sitting down.
    Last edited by Spidey2011; May 30th, 2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    There's NO way you can say with 100% positivity that no one has noticed.
    A valid point. Perhaps a more-correct way for the OP to state it would be that nobody visibly reacted. That said, when I first started carrying, Virginia still forbade CC in restaurants which served alcohol. So if we wanted to get lunch in, say, Cheeseburger in Paradise, I had to switch from CC to OC prior to entering. (This is how I got involved in OC in the first place.) Anyway, unless I did an elaborate shirt-tucking dance right in front of them, my wife and mother-in-law usually wouldn't notice i was OCing. They weren't looking for, I wasn't sticking it in their faces, so they didn't see it. When I OC, I rarely get a visible reaction from anybody.

Bottom line, I think, is that for any activity, there are ways of behaving that will invite scrutiny and ways that will avoid scrutiny. For example, if you are dressed in all camo and moving "tactically" from one store aisle to the next, darn skippy people will notice you OCing, because you've attracted their attention (and justifiably so) as being out of the norm. Wearing an "I HAVE A GUN" T-shirt would likely also get people to study you more closely. On the other hand, behaving casually and dressing "normally" will allow you to blend into the background--you're just another unremarkable guy (or gal) and so people won't "check you out" closely. Unless you're hot.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    I'm not here to argue with what all of you have said, but my question is.....

"How do you know someone hasn't noticed?"

There's NO way you can say with 100% positivity that no one has noticed. If you walk past 100 people while OC'ing and nobody says anything to you about it, how do you know 1, 5, 10, 20 or more people did see you OC'ing.. but decided to not say anything to you about it? You don't!

Now don't get me wrong, but to make the blanket statement that no one saw you do it is a conclusionary statement that is based more on assumptions instead of investigative facts presented.

The only way to really find out if they didn't see you OC'ing would be to walk up to those same 100 people a second time.. and then ask each one on a individual basis if they saw your sidearm. Then, and only THEN, would you be able to come up with the correct answer to base your results on.

FireStar M40
    Don't get too excited, but I didn't say that nobody noticed. For one thing, I noticed. I said that the two fellow employees standing next to me didn't notice by their own admission.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Don't get too excited, but I didn't say that nobody noticed. For one thing, I noticed. I said that the two fellow employees standing next to me didn't notice by their own admission.
    Gene, your thread title implies that hardly no one (but you) noticed, i.e. the term "hidden". As FireStar noted, you would have to ask all 100 people if, in fact, the OC weapon was "hidden in plain sight".
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Post Did You Read Something Different Into My Post Than What I Had Written..!!..?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Your comment of.. "Don't get too excited" has me !! What is it about my comments/post indicating to you that I was "excited"? I don't find anything I said in my post to even suggest I had become so. I thought it was a well thought out post indicating that even though no one has "Visibly Reacted" (as EyeoreCC so elegantly stated), it doesn't mean they didn't see said firearm.

In your above quote you stated.. "I didn't say that nobody noticed..", but in your original post you did say, ie: "Unless you make an effort to be noticed, you probably won't be."

Looking at your above original statement as written, one is able to easily interpret and come to the conclusion (as I did), that you were saying a OC'd firearm wouldn't be noticed by most of the public unless brought to their attention via some act, display or action to do so.

My original post wasn't written to disparage you, but rather to point out unless one gets some type of "Visibly Reaction" to their OC'ing, one doesn't know whether the firearm has been seen.. or not.

FireStar M40

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I've noticed that kids notice OC more quickly.
    Kids notice more. I have seen my grand daughter notice a piece of candy in the middle of moving into our new house. None of us saw it. Kids "radar" is always on hyper alert...especially for things interesting to them. Hubby had the dining room table covered with gun cleaning gear and under one cloth was the "pepper box" gun that he got from my mother's estate. It is really small and just the barrel was showing. Grand daughter came over and was looking at the table. She didn't touch it, but asked if I would show it to her. She really loved it and thought it was really "awesome" (which it is). We then talked about the history and use of this type of weapon. She was really interested.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I have to admit that the kind of person who was OCing would dictate whether I make a glance or watch the person.

Someone who is decently dressed would not really get my attention. Especially a woman who accessorized with her outfit. I might look to admire the outfit. It's a "girl", fashion thing.

If someone is tattooed all over, neck and head, with piercings all over, holes in the ears and dressed like a dirt bag would get my attention and I would watch them. I know, I would be profiling but that is my measurement of alert.

I still wouldn't bring it to anyone's attention. How they act is more important to me.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

P95
    Not a good idea to frighten your fellow employees....why didn't you just wait till the lady left and then say that lady was packing a gun on her side.

Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    Not a good idea to frighten your fellow employees....why didn't you just wait till the lady left and then say that lady was packing a gun on her side.
    It's all in how you say it.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

LOL.....I was a campus police officer in the mid 80's and I carried a stainless S&W .357. We wore the same uniform as the LAPD style. Pretty typical uniform for all police officers. A student I was talking said in a surprised tone, "You guys carry guns?!"
    Really? You didn't see the Hogue combat grips and the shiny pistol on my hip? People do not notice other people because they live in their own little bubble. That's why they all say"The guy came out of no where" when they are victimized. No situational awareness.
    "Watch yer top knot."

1Az2Risk
    Kimber Ultra Carry
    Ruger LCP
    Rock River AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I've noticed that kids notice OC more quickly.
    Kids notice EVERYTHING and anything that does not involve work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pretty much the same experience I've had when OC. And with me, I don't try to camouflage the gun. I've worn my G23 in my SERPA holster on a brown belt worn on tan pants and a white shirt. The gun/holster sticks out, it does not blend in. And I've still gotten the same reactions.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links