Hidden in plain sight....

This is a discussion on Hidden in plain sight.... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm working in the store today and a woman walks past me. She's wearing a bright pink blouse and black slacks. I notice that she's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hidden in plain sight....

Hidden in plain sight....

I'm working in the store today and a woman walks past me. She's wearing a bright pink blouse and black slacks. I notice that she's carrying a Glock at 3 o'clock. At 9 o'clock she's carrying a magazine case with a spare mag. It's all OWB just hanging there for the whole world to see....a black Glock in a black holster on a black belt worn with black slacks. I asked a couple of my fellow employees who were standing near me if they had noticed the woman with the gun. Eyebrows shot up at the mention of the word "gun" and they started rubbernecking the store. "No, where? Where? Where is she?"

And that has pretty much been my experience with open carry. Unless you make an effort to be noticed, you probably won't be. Take that for what it's worth.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

That has been my experience as well.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Yup. I've had very few comments about mine when I OC, and most of those comments were from people that were sitting when I walked by. Btw, the majority of those were positive.

I've noticed that kids notice OC more quickly.
    TN_Mike, Spirit51 and ericb327 like this.

Had to do a double take in Wallyworld in Lancaster, PA. Was the 1st open carry I'd ever seen. Clean cut, well dressed dude with a glock on his utility belt...along with his smart phone, pager, flashlight, etc. Looked like he'd just come from the office. No one said a thing, nor acted any differently. I stood behind him with my PPK IWB.

Jim
    mook012 likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'm working in the store today and a woman walks past me. She's wearing a bright pink blouse and black slacks. I notice that she's carrying a Glock at 3 o'clock. At 9 o'clock she's carrying a magazine case with a spare mag. It's all OWB just hanging there for the whole world to see....a black Glock in a black holster on a black belt worn with black slacks. I asked a couple of my fellow employees who were standing near me if they had noticed the woman with the gun. Eyebrows shot up at the mention of the word "gun" and they started rubbernecking the store. "No, where? Where? Where is she?"

And that has pretty much been my experience with open carry. Unless you make an effort to be noticed, you probably won't be. Take that for what it's worth.
    That sounds like the same woman I saw in Bass Pro a little over a week ago. One exception - every guy in the store noticed her. Black glock, black holster and black pants. No LEOs showed up either as I hung around a while to see if they did.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Most people don't pay much attention to anything. They are to busy with their own lives. Who will notice? Legally armed citizens both CC and OC'ers, LEO's of any flavor, criminals. Most people if they happen to notice don't say anything or if they do it is positive. I like it - an armed society is a polite society.
    ericb327, Spirit51 and mano3 like this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I've noticed that kids notice OC more quickly.
    That's b/c their little curious minds are more observant than most adults :P ....especially in Pre-K through 2d grade
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Not sure I'd expect much else from Wisconsin.

Wondering if there were any other reasons folks looked at this woman and didn't notice the gun around her waist?
    carracer likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Lead Moderator
    Trolling post and replies removed.

As for the OC'er , I have seen a few as well, no one seems to notice when I ask others as well if they saw someone with a gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Trolling post and replies removed.

As for the OC'er , I have seen a few as well, no one seems to notice when I ask others as well if they saw someone with a gun.
    They don't. We notice because we're looking for that sort of thing, but unless it's a nickle plate six shooter in a cowboy getup, the average citizen isn't going to pay that much attention. In some parts of the country western wear probably wouldn't draw that much attention either. Where I live, it might.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I OC where the public might see me once a week this time of year (I don't count walking my dog...). Very few notice. Last week I hiked a well used trail over the holidays (only reason I did was I would be getting back home close to dark when all the tourists were gone and there are plenty of critters out. Oh, I forgot to say :It is my right LOL! Just kidding. I don't like to OC on trails and putting it in my camel back makes it utterly useless. Anyway, Had a olive colored shirt on and black hiking pants. Totally uneventful except for one couple staring, pointing, and whispering to each other. Always one on a crowd! About the kids noticing...that is right on. And they are not afraid to come to you and ask. One little tyke asked if it was a real gun. The mom looked nervous or embarrassed I couldn't tell. I said yes it is. He asked if I was a police man. I said no. I use it for protection hiking home because of bears and other animals. The mom seemed cool after that.
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Sheeple won't notice, but kids, cops and BG's will.
    atctimmy, gigamortis and ppkheat like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

see that would get me smacked twice from my woman; once for looking at her and the second one for saying I was just looking at her gun

Question WHAT, People Don't Notice..!!..?

I'm not here to argue with what all of you have said, but my question is.....

"How do you know someone hasn't noticed?"

There's NO way you can say with 100% positivity that no one has noticed. If you walk past 100 people while OC'ing and nobody says anything to you about it, how do you know 1, 5, 10, 20 or more people did see you OC'ing.. but decided to not say anything to you about it? You don't!

Now don't get me wrong, but to make the blanket statement that no one saw you do it is a conclusionary statement that is based more on assumptions instead of investigative facts presented.

The only way to really find out if they didn't see you OC'ing would be to walk up to those same 100 people a second time.. and then ask each one on a individual basis if they saw your sidearm. Then, and only THEN, would you be able to come up with the correct answer to base your results on.

FireStar M40
    lilop, atctimmy and Inspector71 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links