Intrigued by Open Carry

This is a discussion on Intrigued by Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because I can. Because it's not illegal. Because NC Supreme Court has ruled that the phrase "bear arms" means to carry them openly. Because I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Intrigued by Open Carry

Because I can.
    Because it's not illegal.
    Because NC Supreme Court has ruled that the phrase "bear arms" means to carry them openly.
    Because I think it does folks good to see normal people going about their day armed and NOT shooting everything in sight.
    Because it's more comfortable.
    Because I don't want to change holsters.
    Because I want to exercise my rights, all of them.
    Because I have had some great conversations with folks about gun rights, laws, etc because I was OC'ing.

And to the chagrin of many on this board, I'm not a raving lunatic out trying to cause trouble, scare little old ladies, piss everybody off, and sue the police department as my retirement plan. And to be honest, I kind of like making those folks a bit uncomfortable.
    jrclen likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

I do both OC and CC, depending on the situation, locale, etc. Lots more philosophy of OC at Opencarry.org forum a.k.a. OCDO. As in most debates, for each point one side makes, the other has a counterpoint. You have to study both sides and form your own opinion. Some examples:

POINT: CC gives the carrier the "tactical advantage" of surprise
    COUNTERPOINT: Depends on the situation. Surprise is really only an advantage in an offensive scenario.

POINT: OC has a deterrent value. BG sees you're armed, and moves on in search of an easier target. (There is no documented evidence of this, because it's impossible to prove a negative, but there are many anecdotes of "suspicious" people suddenly changing their behavior when they become aware of an OCer.)
    COUNTERPOINT: OC could make you a target. (Note, there are zero documented incidents wherein an OCer was "taken out first"; most criminals don't have that level of SA or courage. There are a very, very few anecdotes where a non-situationally-aware OCer was robbed of his gun and other valuables.)

POINT: Many people react negatively at the sight of a gun. OC will mobilize anti-gun activism.
    COUNTERPOINT: "A right unexercised is a right lost." Until people see law-abiding citizens carrying guns on a regular basis, it will be alien and discomfiting.

IMHO, responsible OC places a higher burden on the carrier than CC. It requires greater situational awareness to avoid a potential "gun grab." A retention holster is prudent. Solid knowledge of the law is required, since sooner or later you will be engaged by an ignorant citizen or ignorant LEO. Like it or not, an OCer is representing all gun carriers in many people's eyes, so a calm, professional demeanor and exemplary manners are strongly recommended (Someone who is CCing and being a jerk is just a jerk. An OCer being a jerk is "that @&$*&% with a gun!").

And yes, there are jerks in every crowd. I don't doubt that there are OCers out there who do it to "show off," "act big," or "bait the police." That doesn't mean that every OCer is that way. There are jerks on every highway in America, but that doesn't mean we should all quit driving.

Others have already given some of the typical responses: comfort, speed of draw, education/advocacy, usually legal for 18-21 year-olds, and Because I Can. My favorite one is, it pisses off stupid people.

Lastly, it's been my experience that OCers don't care if you choose to OC or CC, as long as you carry, follow the law, and don't make the rest of us look bad. Some CCers, however, get very upset by OC and start to sound just like anti's. Just my $0.02.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    My theory is that OC in most states requires no permits, fees, and training. Therefore, OCing is easier and cheaper. Think of it this way...would you roll up $6-700 bucks, strap it to your belt with a nice big handle on it, and walk around in public like that? Would you wear a T-shirt that says "Cuss Word You!" in big letters in public because free speech is your constitutional right? If you answer yes to either of those questions, you are probably a candidate for OC.
    And this strikes me as pure elitist snobbery. This is the all you need for hunting is a bolt action rifle mentality that claims to support the 2nd amendment.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My theory is that OC in most states requires no permits, fees, and training. Therefore, OCing is easier and cheaper. Think of it this way...would you roll up $6-700 bucks, strap it to your belt with a nice big handle on it, and walk around in public like that? Would you wear a T-shirt that says "Cuss Word You!" in big letters in public because free speech is your constitutional right? If you answer yes to either of those questions, you are probably a candidate for OC.
    Okee Dokee. Had to read that twice. I must say that is probably the most idiotic, simple minded, and ill-informed post I have seen.

But of course you are entitled to your opinion. I have find it easier myself to write an articulate post when I do not have a chip on my shoulder or a sense of superiority.

Wow. Why is it so hard for people to just support ANY method of carry? United we stand, divided we fall. If OC goes, CC won't be far behind. Thats what you people need to realize. Get off your high horse and stand up for ALL methods of carry.

The fear (and reasons not to) of open carry are over rated.......... And what Spidey2011 ^ said........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Oh gosh, not this thread again. Let me be of some assistance.

The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

These are some of the reasons that CC is viewed so negatively

Argument for Open carry

The realities of Open Carry

Question for those who live in OC States

I could go all day... Hope this helps. This is your introduction to one of the (if not the) most opinionated controversial subjects on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Oh gosh, not this thread again. Let me be of some assistance.

The Logic of 'Open Carry' and LEO's Attitude

For those opposed to open carry, I have a question for you.

These are some of the reasons that CC is viewed so negatively

Argument for Open carry

The realities of Open Carry

Question for those who live in OC States

I could go all day... Hope this helps. This is your introduction to one of the (if not the) most opinionated controversial subjects on the forums.
    I always thought it was "Is the .380 a viable defensive round?"
    ericb327 likes this.

Haha, you might be right about that. Just to be safe, maybe I should find the OP a bunch of links on that topic, too.

Edit: And do a quick search on CC badges, as well. Just in case.

Wisconsin is an OC state but I have yet to see anyone OC. I don't want to be the first in my neighborhood on this one. Just call me "chicken" if you must. I will continue to carry CC which I find easy to do no matter what the weather and clothing. JMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

To play devils advocate here... I have 2 articles that support both arguments for methods of carry.

OCers gun getting snatched and used against him:
    Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories | Richmond Times-Dispatch

OCing as a deterrant:
    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

The only conclusion that I can come up with is that... There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    To play devils advocate here... I have 2 articles that support both arguments for methods of carry.

OCers gun getting snatched and used against him:
    Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories | Richmond Times-Dispatch

OCing as a deterrant:
    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

The only conclusion that I can come up with is that... There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.
    Yup. And you should train weapon retention for EITHER method, but it is especially important in OC. Equally important is the retention of the holster (thumbreak, serpa style retention, etc.).
    carracer likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I OC'd (outside of my residence) for the first time last night. A friend of my wife's lives in a shady neighborhood a few miles away and wanted us to come by and walk her dog while she and her husband were away. I felt a lot safer, and my wife--who was with with me--thought I looked more manly (than usual, I hope), so there's that, too.

I don't plan on OC'ing much, but I don't mind doing it as occasion presents itself.
    Badey likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I OC'd (outside of my residence) for the first time last night. A friend of my wife's lives in a shady neighborhood a few miles away and wanted us to come by and walk her dog while she and her husband were away. I felt a lot safer, and my wife--who was with with me--thought I looked more manly (than usual, I hope), so there's that, too.

I don't plan on OC'ing much, but I don't mind doing it as occasion presents itself.
    Congrats on your first OC! It is addicting!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Out here in the "Wild West" of Arizona (kidding!) you see people OC'ing without much ado.

But to the OP's questions, sometimes I OC because it is easier to put the holster on, easier to get to the gun when I need to (primarily to remove it when going someplace posted/prohibited) and get it in a more comfortable configuration for me. I CC more in the downtown areas because businesses have a tendency to post their signs in places that are at eye level for a dog (not legal, BTW) so if no one sees I'm carrying, no one gets upset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links