Intrigued by Open Carry

Intrigued by Open Carry

This is a discussion on Intrigued by Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been CC for 10 years. Love concealed carry. Lately though I've been intrigued by the idea of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Intrigued by Open Carry

Intrigued by Open Carry

I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been CC for 10 years. Love concealed carry. Lately though I've been intrigued by the idea of OC. I live in PA where OC is legal in MOST places.

If I'm fishing, hiking or camping, I have OC'd in PA. But never in a more public setting around a bunch of people. I'm just curious why people OC instead of CC. I've read a lot of the threads about both, but have never read anything on WHY people OC vs. CC. No one I know open carries so my exposure to it is limited to LE and we know why they have to OC.

I'd like to know why those of you who OC choose to do so over CC.

In my humble opinion it is always best to stay off the radar. Open carry can make you a target, and, invite a bunch of trouble from the anti-gun folk. This may be hard to believe,but they sometime exaggerate when they call 911 about a man with a gun. This can lead to many unpleasentries being forced upon you when local LEO'S respond to the mad man with a gun call.
    hogdoc357 likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Comfort mostly, no need to dress around the gun either.

Hopefully this one can stay on topic.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    My theory is that OC in most states requires no permits, fees, and training. Therefore, OCing is easier and cheaper. Think of it this way...would you roll up $6-700 bucks, strap it to your belt with a nice big handle on it, and walk around in public like that? Would you wear a T-shirt that says "Cuss Word You!" in big letters in public because free speech is your constitutional right? If you answer yes to either of those questions, you are probably a candidate for OC.
    baren, EdC and smolck like this.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I've heard valid arguments both ways, so I don't think you'll find a one-size-fits-all best.

A few reasons people commonly cite for OC is the deterrent factor (bad guy sees gun, and changed their mind about committing that particular crime). The speed of draw which is debatable, but those who believe it, do believe they can draw faster from an OC setup than a CC; this can depend a lot on the specifics of your carry method regardless of which you believe. The last common reason I hear is for 'political' reasons which include exorcising your rights, informing the public of their rights (OCers love it when people ask questions about their carrying, gives them a chance to educate, as there is much misinformation out there about carrying guns), and helping the public become more used to seeing people who are armed and aren't criminals, or don't raise safety issues.

For CC, many simply don't want a hassle. Perhaps they don't want to spend time educating the public, or dealing with the police when someone uninformed reports a MWAG. Many states allow business owners to ask people who are armed to leave their business, with CC they don't know, so it's a non-issue (assuming signs carry no weight of law). I have heard that in some states a CCP obligates you to conceal your firearm. I've also heard OK tactical arguments for it. I've even heard of places where off duty police are required to carry, as well as stay concealed.

It really runs the gamut.

I OC when it is convenient for me, not anti's. Don't get me wrong. I don't OC in downtown Manchester because it would be stupid for numerous of reasons. The number one is you lose a tactical advantage.
    I OC hiking, walking my dog, snow shoeing. If I happen to run into an excited mom there is not much I can do about HER problem. If she does a MWAG call how on earth can I predict that? IMO in that situation it is the mom getting excited causing a problem and if the LEO's show up and they have an attitude about OC then they have the problem.

And I do have my iPhone with me. Not anticipating a problem...but if one should arise you can bet that I will have it recording (which is legal in NH)

But I do not normally choose OC over CC and think for SD with 2 legged predators it is the best way to go. 4 legged I like OC

Can't OC for the most part here in FL. but when traveling north I did give it a try...it was cooler and more comfortable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like and appreciate the responses. I'm just curious about the choices other people with similar interests make.
    I don't think I will switch to OC on the regular, but it works best for me out in the woods fishing or camping. Everywhere else, its for me to know and for you to hopefully never find out.

Thanks for the responses
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    For me it is a comfort issue, especially in the summer. I work from home and am always carrying, so if I need to run to the store, etc. I just go. Not really a concious decision, just part of everyday life. Never had an issue, only two people have ever commented an they were positive.
    drkangl6 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I live in PA, too, and I OC frequently. If I'm going out with family or friends, I'll conceal, but I usually open carry when I'm running errands, and always OC when I'm doing yardwork. The biggest negative I've found is that some people feel it is their duty to hassle you for your "pistol registration card," and make up laws because they don't like you being armed.

VIP Member
    In warmer weather it is cooler, also ease of access to your gun comes into play.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I OC for comfort, quicker access to my firearm, to exercise my rights, and to try to show people that citizens can carry guns without innocent people being hurt.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I open carried because it was the only legal way I could carry. Now I carry concealed. If the anti's take away my right to CC, I will again OC. I have absolutely no problem with non criminal people carrying any way they want to.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

My normal CC holster is off being replaced (kydex cracked, having it replaced). I have a few backup's, but they just aren't very comfortable. I went to see a performance at my niece's elementary school this morning, so I dealt with the discomfort and CC'd. Not that I had too, I would have been legal to OC, but I didn't want to deal with explaining that to some uptight school staffers. But afterward we took her and my nephew to the zoo, so I put on the OWB and OC'd. Was a lot more comfortable, and no one seemed to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been CC for 10 years. Love concealed carry. Lately though I've been intrigued by the idea of OC. I live in PA where OC is legal in MOST places.

If I'm fishing, hiking or camping, I have OC'd in PA. But never in a more public setting around a bunch of people. I'm just curious why people OC instead of CC. I've read a lot of the threads about both, but have never read anything on WHY people OC vs. CC. No one I know open carries so my exposure to it is limited to LE and we know why they have to OC.

I'd like to know why those of you who OC choose to do so over CC.
    Many replies are gonna miss the whole ordeal. I open carry when I get the chance to educate the public about our roots and constitution. When they ask me why I am carrying a gun...I ask them why they are not. I think that's more than fair.....don't you? Carrying concealed is an art..........similar to what the US congress conceals from you each and every day they are in session.
    Why? Why not? What do you have to be afraid of? Get back to me when you have a good answer.
    Don't let the gutless, armchair quarterbacks tell you that open carry makes you a mark. That's what the mainstream media would have you believe. Succumb to mainstream thinking and you'll become as gutless as the rest of them....those who don't even have the interest to get out and vote for or against those who would watch this country die or sell it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links