Opinions on open carry using an IWB holster

This is a discussion on Opinions on open carry using an IWB holster within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Nevada (which is an open carry state) and plan to Conceal Carry once I receive my permit (120 days). I'd like to ...

Thread: Opinions on open carry using an IWB holster

I live in Nevada (which is an open carry state) and plan to Conceal Carry once I receive my permit (120 days).

I'd like to open carry on occasion but only have an IWB holster.

In Nevada, the firearm must be easily identifiable by a reasonable person to be considered openly carried. My question is...If I carry like shown in the picture above, would you consider my gun easily identifiable?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    It passed as open carry in VA, not sure exactly how it would fly in Nevada.

In MT, concealed is defied as "wholly or partially covered by ones clothing or wearing apparel." You would need a permit here. I'd check the laws in NV to see what they define as concealed.

According to others' responses thus far, I'm not real clear about what you're asking. I have carried openly in Kansas with an IWB holster....I just simply tucked in my shirt behind the holster. Since I have a valid permit for CC that's honored in Kansas and Missouri, I could easily go from open carry to concealed carry in a couple of different ways.....wear a jacket or cover garment, or simply untuck my shirt and cover. If you have both options legally, do whatever you think is advisable at the moment and remain modular. Just like me being in a CC only state and taking my jacket off in a restaurant in December here. I gotta cover it with something else if I take off my jacket....so......an IWB holster is almost a given at this point. Anyway.........you guys let me know if I missed something in the OP.

Why bother with a questionable implementation. Spend $50 and get a Bianchi OWB leather holster off eBay.

Down the road you can use it for a more comfortable concealed carry as well. I use mine when I don't want to scare the hippies while hiking in Colorado mountains. It's concealable with a shirt and more comfortable than IWB when active. Plus they are nice for around the house wear and camping.

Nev. Rev. Stat. § 202.350 defines a concealed weapon as a weapon that is hidden on a person’s body and is not noticeable under normal observation. Hiding a weapon under or inside clothing could result in an arrest for carrying a concealed weapon.
    It doesn't specifically say that partially hidden would be considered concealed, but I wouldn't chance it. No sense in making yourself a test case. Wait till you get your permit, or get a good OWB rig.

I would advise against it, but when I was in Nevada and Oregon to do the classes and paperwork for my permits in those states I did exactly that. I wasn't living there though, so I was a little more cautious about carry. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten a decent OWB rig for the trip.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Getting an OWB holster is a pretty simple and safe fix.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One reason I don't OC IWB is the one I have has no retention. As unlikely ad a gun grab is I just feel better having it out of site unless it's in a retention holster. Nothing at all against OC.... I OC about half the time.

Opinions? I'm an all or nothing type. IWB is CC, OWB is OC. That my personal choice.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links