UPDATE: Kid in Birmingham Mi Open carrying a rifle is going to be tried

This is a discussion on UPDATE: Kid in Birmingham Mi Open carrying a rifle is going to be tried within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; None of us know all the facts. How we can opine on his motivations is beyond me....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Kid in Birmingham Mi Open carrying a rifle is going to be tried

VIP Member
    None of us know all the facts. How we can opine on his motivations is beyond me.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I know how I would vote if I were on the jury.

To the charge of brandishing a weapon: NOT GUILTY

To the charge of disturbing the peace: NOT GUILTY

To the charge of resisting a police officer: GUILTY

He definitely does not appear to be 18, which is the legal age in MI to openly carry a weapon. Since the officer was in doubt about his age, he was within the law to ask for proof of age. Had the defendant provided proof of age, the whole thing would have probably ended there, but he refused to provide proof of age. At that point he left the officer no choice but to arrest him.
    tacman605 and The Old Anglo like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    PEF you are right we dont know all the facts all we know is he does not look 18, was carrying a rifle, police asked him for ID to prove his age and he refused so he was arrested.

If there is some super secret squirrel activity that no one knows about please let me know.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Administrator
    Chad Rogers, you are part of the problem of what is happening in our country.

We have rights, but if we exercise them, we are "poking the bear."

The rest of my comments to you would be not polite so I will keep them to myself.

Actually the member expressing his personal opinion in a post on an Internet forum in no way will affect or alter the eventual outcome of this case nor will it do anything to affect the status of the 2nd Amendment.

So...you might not agree with his posted comments or his personal opinion but, let's DO keep it in perspective and not blow it all out of proportion.

He posted a quip like comment in a forum post.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

The rest of my comments to you would be not polite so I will keep them to myself.
    Defend bear pokers all you wish to. That does not change the reality.

Just like with the California Starbucks bear pokers, when your actions are more likely to cause an erosion of rights, than to maintain them, you are not exercising your rights. You are merely poking the bear under the facade of exercising your rights.

I'll try to not lose sleep over what you think of me...
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Even if the kid was legal in his activities, there was a call for service. I bet the kid wishes he showed his ID now.
    The Old Anglo and carracer like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    This isnít the first time this has been tried by a municipality in this state and they lose every time, followed by a lawsuit usually handled out of court.
    I agree with this. He'll win the case, his parents will spend their life savings, then they'll file civil suit against the city of Birmingham. Being in Oakland County, it'll have the money to settle out of court. Kid's parents will get their money back and the attorney for the family buys a new Porsche.
    jrclen and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    I agree with this. He'll win the case, his parents will spend their life savings, then they'll file civil suit against the city of Birmingham. Being in Oakland County, it'll have the money to settle out of court. Kid's parents will get their money back and the attorney for the family buys a new Porsche.
    All in a days work for the tax payers.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member

Poking the bear in California worked real well. Maybe they should have used a bigger stick or put up more youtube videos to gain the sympathy and respect of the general public? There are other ways to influence change but not everyone has patience and they want it now so they decide to "Poke the Bear" and then wonder why they got bit. To each his own though.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

And here we all are, exercising our right to free speech. Poking the bear.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Poke the Bear at your own Peril. But Only if you have Large amounts of Money for the Lawyer as he`s the only one who makes out in cases like this. Always Carry,Never Tell.
    tacman605 likes this.

VIP Member
    Yeppers

This country would have never been founded if some of you bed wetters were around 200 years ago.
    carracer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by todhog View Post
    This country would have never been founded if some of you bed wetters were around 200 years ago.
    I'd never live in Atlanta either. So what?

Common sense is not all that common.

A little discretion goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I'd never live in Atlanta either. So what?

Common sense is not all that common.

A little discretion goes a long way.
    What? If you want to see what poking a bear is read up on the men who signed the Declaration of Independence. Without bear pokers like them you'd be speaking the Queen's English.
    eeeZnow likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links