Will Texas ever allow open carry?

This is a discussion on Will Texas ever allow open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I CC in this hot humid state. Don't get me wrong, I love Texas, but not the uncomfortable humidity and high temperatures. I CC now ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ghettokracker71
  • 1 Post By farronwolf

Thread: Will Texas ever allow open carry?

Will Texas ever allow open carry?

I CC in this hot humid state. Don't get me wrong, I love Texas, but not the uncomfortable humidity and high temperatures. I CC now in my strong side pocket... usually front. I would love to put a holster on my belt and open carry, simply for the comfort. If anyone knows any Texas legislators, tell 'em we need open carry really, really bad!! The only place that I can't carry is at work. When not at work, I am armed.
    I am surprised at how many states allow OC. I'm surprised that Texas wasn't one of the first!!

2. Remove Ads

We almost got it last session of the legislature but time ran out on it. Maybe next time.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I feel your pain...FL would be perfect if OC were allowed (not that one HAS to OC).
    The last effort failed because many LEO organizations were fighting it.
    I too, was not allowed to carry at work, or even have a weapon in the car...but that restriction disappeared several days ago. The restriction is still there, but I disappeared.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Note: I've never been to TX. But it kind of blows my mind that TEXAS of all states does not allow OC. Its TEXAS, land of the cowboys. Whats a cowboy without a sixgun,...a stripper?
    Rotorblade and babarock like this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I am not sure it the legislature thinks it is necessary along with the police fighting it; It stalled and died of sudden death

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Note: I've never been to TX. But it kind of blows my mind that TEXAS of all states does not allow OC. Its TEXAS, land of the cowboys. Whats a cowboy without a sixgun,...a stripper?
    Texas actually had very strict gun laws until about 15-20 years ago. These strict laws went back to frontier days.
    When I first moved here in the mid 70s there was no such thing as a concealed carry license. I think it took an
    attack on one of the state critters to get them to change their mind. Prior, one could only carry if on a journey
    outside ones own county, overnight. That was the definition of travel, and one could carry if traveling.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Believe it or not Texas is not the conservative state it used to be :( its better than most but not best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Maybe someday,I'm wearing shorts with a T-shirt over a Colt Combat Commander in an OWB holster at 9 o'clock and 2 spare mags at 3,which is pretty much my EDC unless I'm changing to jeans
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've lived in Texas since 1993. We're not all cowboys on horseback, wearing six shooters, riding through the desert. I would like to see open carry here, not because I want to open carry, but for the simple fact that when I conceal carry, I can carry a larger gun and not worry about printing and being accused of a crime or being questioned.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Texas actually had very strict gun laws until about 15-20 years ago.Believe it or not Texas is not the conservative state it used to be :( its better than most but not best.

Texas is STILL awesome

We will do our part in november

In regards to OC, I dont see it happening in Texas, ever
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Jack Ruby screwed up for everyone
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Texas is STILL awesome

We will do our part in november

In regards to OC, I dont see it happening in Texas, ever
    Just curious, why not?
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Jack Ruby screwed up for everyone
    Come on, that incident has nothing to do with our gun laws today. It happened 50 years ago and was
    done with an illegally concealed weapon brought to a place where they are not permitted today--a courthouse.
    That calamity had nothing to do with OC.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Our state representative introduced the OC legislation last sesson. This was after he was newly elected. The bill didn't stand a chance. The parking lot bill was the primary focus last session.

In the upcoming 2013 session if all things are in place, the OC bill will be introduced again with the support of the NRA, TSRA and have the proper wording so that it doesn't open a huge can of worms.

The problem with the bill that Lavender introduced is that the 30.06 signs would be used to restrict both open and concealed carry. That is what killed the last attempt. The attempt in 2013 should include language that if they want to restrict open carry at the location they can put up some kind of gunbuster sign, and the 30.06 signs which are very uncommon would be used to restrict concealed carry and open carry.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links