longview wa, my first run in with the law - Page 3

longview wa, my first run in with the law

This is a discussion on longview wa, my first run in with the law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was ready for all different types of response. i was expecting people with more experience,older people to tell me what i did and didnt ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: longview wa, my first run in with the law

i was ready for all different types of response. i was expecting people with more experience,older people to tell me what i did and didnt do wrong. and yes no one was there.there for they dont know about the attitude situation. like i said long day at work, tired as hell, the gun goes everywhere i go (unless its posted other wise). thank you for your response and opinion.

well i stood my ground, left a few people more informed. and as far as attitude, there was no attitude. even after having the cops show up and try to tell me to leave when i havent done anything wrong. thank you for your opinion.
    Last edited by JD; July 5th, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: merged

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    ya i would like to think so.told them my rights, kept my cool,i wasnt commiting any crimes, and i stood up for myself.as i was leaving i went to the subway employee and appologized to him for causing the scene, then told him that they should be more informed about these types of laws.
    Except for the fact that it was their place of employment. Private property. When you go into somebody's place and crash around like a bull in a china shop demanding that they obey your rights then all you do is make enemies. Like I said before, the shop will get posted and those people will vote against gun rights in the next 10 elections.

What you did was inexcusable. All you did was make enemies. Enemies, mind you, that will vote in the people who want to take our guns away. Nice job tough guy.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

exactly my thoughts, ericb327. i was not bothering anyone and was minding my own.thank you for your opinion.

I can't believe you spent your money in that Subway after they called the cops on you?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

well if knowing your rights and excersizing them is an issue then yes i am at fault.i just merely informed both the LEO and the subway employee that i was not breaking any laws and that this approach was not necessary.i tried many times to just go back about my business and they just kept proding.so i did try to avoid the argument and they didnt.so LEO ended up with no arrest and the subway employee ended up with an appology from me for causing the fuss, and then i also told them that they need to be more informed before they make such judgement and approach some one.thank you for your response and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I can't believe you spent your money in that Subway after they called the cops on you?
    He showed 'em. Man's gotta stand up for his rights.

ya but you are missing my point. my intent when i walked into that restaraunt was to eat my dinner and go home with my girl. i didnt walk in there pointing my firearm at anyone demanding anything.i was minding my own business.but thank you for your response and opinion.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    ya i would like to think so.told them my rights, kept my cool,i wasnt commiting any crimes, and i stood up for myself.as i was leaving i went to the subway employee and appologized to him for causing the scene, then told him that they should be more informed about these types of laws.

Welcome to Defensivecarry.com. Home of intensely self-rightous! If you have thin skin you might check out early. You'll recieve some good advise here but some on here, well I don't know why they even bother to carry.
    ericb327 likes this.

The reason i carry is because of all the tweaker and drug addicts that this county and area has to have.i know that there has been lots of break in to peoples homes,all this crazy stuff on the news.bath salts, people eating peoples face, and i am not goin to be a victim of some drug crazed piece of **** tweaker and neither will my family.i dont put up with drugs, i dont have any sympathy for addicts.so the day that one comes to try to steal from my home or steal from me just to get a fix, i will deal with it accordingly. thank you for your opinion.

hey man i was hungry and tired, and not about to run around and find another place to eat just cuz of some ********.long day at work and i was ready to get some grub and go home.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    i was ready for all different types of response. i was expecting people with more experience,older people to tell me what i did and didnt do wrong. and yes no one was there.there for they dont know about the attitude situation. like i said long day at work, tired as hell, the gun goes everywhere i go (unless its posted other wise). thank you for your response and opinion.
    Just a question, the part in bold seems to indicate that you won't carry if a place is posted no guns. In WA sign hold no weight of law, so you can carry into these places, and then it is just as you said for those places that are not posted, if asked to leave you must comply. I usually CC so it is never a problem, and I probably would not OC if they had a sign requesting not to, but you are still legal to do so.

Regarding your initial post of the encounter, I will give you my critique since I think that is what you were looking for, and leave my emotions out of it, which some of us are not doing too well. From what you posted, my initial feeling was that you were somewhat abrupt and certainly not avoiding confrontation. I understand your desire to go about your business and not be harrassed by those who don't know the laws, but at a few steps you could have deescalated the sittuation. While the 15 year old was clearly not the manager, you could have inquired about the store's official policy indicating that you had no desire to violate the owner's rights. That may have prevented the police from becoming involved.

Once the officer was there, the words you said you used could seem to be trigger words to LEO that you might be an OC activist (wether you are or not). Knowing the laws better than they do can be embarrassing to the LEO, or if they have an agenda, can frustrate them that they can't manipulate their implied power to get your compliance. You might try being more cordial with the next officer you deal with in this type of sittuation. It sounds like everything worked out this time, but with the wrong officer, you could have ended up with a very long night, no subway, and a very expensive legal bill. I'm not telling you that you should waive your rights to avoid this outcome, just saying, be weary and aware of potential outcomes.
    Walk softly ...

Are you a cop?

"no"

Do you have your permit to carry concealed?

Yes, but sometimes I prefer to open carry for comfort. Do you like to shoot too? If you haven't had the chance to go shooting I'd be happy to change that for you! It's a great sport with lots of great people....."

While you stood "your" ground you lost ground elsewhere. A little forethought could bring an entirely different outcome.

The impression you make lasts longer than you realize.

Guess I'm a little surprised at some of the comments here...

I cannot open carry in my state and would not do so if I could. (unless while hunting maybe)

Having said that, it seems that a lot of the advice given skirts on an attitude of "bowing and scraping" to satisfy the masses.

Even though the activity by OP is completely legal in his state, he should not do so because it makes others uncomfortable?

I can see valid points on both sides of this issue, just wondering what some of the people posting would say if this situation was other than open carry...
    BigJon10125, TN_Mike and FTG-05 like this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

ya but you are missing my point. my intent when i walked into that restaraunt was to eat my dinner and go home with my girl. i didnt walk in there pointing my firearm at anyone demanding anything.i was minding my own business.but thank you for your response and opinion.
    We all understand your point. Thats all good. You need to understand theirs, In their business you have no rights, they are the property owners, not you. They had every right to do what they did. Now, you wanted some advise. Next time it happens, cover it up, tell them to have a nice day, avoid the conflict with the PD and go about your life, without our hassle.
    kerberos and atctimmy like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

agreed.i am not a people person and i tend not to get the feelings and opinion of other people who are biased.i was there to eat. not fight about my rights against others that had no clue about anything but how to make a sandwhich.i have talked to the manager at that subway and she is in agreence with me. had a talk with the subway employee and has informed the staff more about these rights.if they arent causing any problems then leave them alone.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links