longview wa, my first run in with the law

This is a discussion on longview wa, my first run in with the law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You are a police problem...a man with a gun...Gotta wonder what your motive is....openly carry in Washington State and you will have a stressfull encounter ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 119
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: longview wa, my first run in with the law

  1. #61
    Member Array CaptSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington /San Juan's
    Posts
    341
    You are a police problem...a man with a gun...Gotta wonder what your motive is....openly carry in Washington State and you will have a stressfull encounter with LEO...Why ??

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,273
    Next time just go to Quizno's.
    atctimmy likes this.

  4. #63
    VIP Member
    Array ksholder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,693
    Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    and you think you know the people around my area?even if i had concealed it, it would not have been over.people around here are very biased and closed minded due to their comfort needs.which i am not required to attend to.now what you do in any situation is up to you. i respect that. but i dont allow anyone to push me around, especially when they dont dont know anything pertaining to what they are inquiring about.thanx for your response an opinion. hey have a nice day.

    ??? Had you concealed it properly, who would know??? I walked around a crowded amusement park yesterday CCing with no hassle. Given the security presence (unarmed and, from the looks of it, untrained), I have no doubt that if they had noticed, they would have asked me to leave. If you CC properly (not saying you have to CC, but addressing your point above), only you will know you have a rider along. If won't matter a whit what the sheep think, what they can't see they won't worry about.

    The rest of what you have posted in this thread goes to maturity, or the lack of it. While nobody here is denying that you have rights, the judicious application of common sense in using those rights will get you farther. In short, you get more flies with honey ...

    Me - I would have either covered up or left after the first encounter. To me, acting as you did is simply not worth the hassle.

    Frankly, I am surprised this thread is still open.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

    "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

    You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

  5. #64
    Member Array shooterready's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Portland, Maine
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    "
    Sounds like a lot of drama could have been avoided if you would have un-tucked your shirt, got your sandwich and left.
    True, but if OC isn't breaking any laws then why should you have to hide your weapon. And concealing it then creates an opening for LE to ask for an ID or permit when they wouldn't have needed to otherwise.
    MleeC likes this.

  6. #65
    Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,802
    The purpose of carrying a firearm is to defend yourself (and those you care about) against danger.

    It is not to "educate the public." Let the NRA do that. If your manner of carrying is enraging people, getting law enforcement drawn into the picture, etc., then UR doin it wrong.

    Sure, pal. You have "rights." You also have the right to walk into a subway carrying a bloody axe, or a box with the word "bomb" written on it, or a python draped around your neck, and many other things that might confuse and alarm the general public. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

    Personally, I don't really care about you being tired and hungry and whatnot. What matters more is that you've behaved in a way that makes gun owners look bad and reinforces the anti-gun mindset. Staff in a business ask you to cover the gun up, be a lot less trouble to calm 'em down. Leading with your chin with a defiant "no I won't and you can't make me!" is the road to a poor outcome. Which you got.
    oldnfat, atctimmy, mprp and 3 others like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  7. #66
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,244
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Sounds like a good outcome overall. Sorry Acttimmy, your doomsday predictions of the outcome of OC did not pan out this time. A few more people are educated, and will hopefully have a new perspective. While it didn't necessarily sound like it from the first post, it seems that the OP was respectfull and had a net positive result.
    Belligerent OCers end up with laws passed making OC illegal. Don't believe me? Just look at California.

    I'm all for OC and for the 2a but folks need to remember that you make friends when you are friendly and you make enemies when you are not. Those friends and those enemies take their opinions to the voting booth. It's as simple as that.

    I posted this a while ago and it still rings true. When you OC you need to remember that you are now a poster boy for the Second Amendment. What you do matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Here's my take. Do what you want to do, but if you feel the need to OC then you are putting yourself out there as a poster boy (or gal) for gun rights. You need to remember that whatever you do is going to reflect on the rest of us. If you are a polite ambassador of the 2A community then you are doing us a service by OCing. If you are a jackwagon then you are hurting us all.

    Every time you OC, whether you realize it or not, people are noticing your gun. At the end of the day those people will go home to their families and talk about you. Then, later, they will go to the voting booth. What impression do you want to leave them with?
    My opinion is that the OP hurt our cause by being bull headed. He could have diffused the situation about 6 times during his encounter, but he didn't. Instead he was such a jerk that the police were called. Whether he believes it or not the officer could have arrested him for trespass. <---That's real OP, believe it. But my guess is that the officer was a good guy and a believer in the 2A and just didn't want to take you to jail. That's why he got so frustrated with you because you were acting like a fool.
    ericb327 and mprp like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

  8. #67
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,406
    I replied earlier in the thread in support of the OP regarding dealing with the 15 year old employee. However, after reading his replies and posts in another thread I think the situation may have gone down a bit different. Baiting? Maybe! I do think if he's serious about defensive carry and his rights; he will take the advice of forum members regarding his conduct. After all he states he is here to learn and values our opinions. Being a noobie to the forum I don't think he was ready for he got in the way of comments. The OP may just handle it a bit different next time.

    OP! You should probably change your avatar!
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  9. #68
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,244
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I replied earlier in the thread in support of the OP regarding dealing with the 15 year old employee. However, after reading his replies and posts in another thread I think the situation may have gone down a bit different. Baiting? Maybe! I do think if he's serious about defensive carry and his rights; he will take the advice of forum members regarding his conduct. After all he states he is here to learn and values our opinions. Being a noobie to the forum I don't think he was ready for he got in the way of comments. The OP may just handle it a bit different next time.

    OP! You should probably change your avatar!
    That avatar speaks volumes. Doesn't it?
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

  10. #69
    Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bellevue, Ky/Cincinatti
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That avatar speaks volumes. Doesn't it?
    Yes it does! I don't think he thought about the consequences of his actions on future legislation and the business putting up signs after his visit. Sometimes we need to look at the big picture rather than simply say its my right. I often struggle with this concept.
    atctimmy and Bubbiesdad like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

    https://www.facebook.com/ninja312


    My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

  11. #70
    Senior Member Array Rotorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SurfCity
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterready View Post
    True, but if OC isn't breaking any laws then why should you have to hide your weapon. And concealing it then creates an opening for LE to ask for an ID or permit when they wouldn't have needed to otherwise.
    When the subway guy first talked to the OP about open display of his firearm it was clear to the OP that open carry in that particular subway, at that particular time was not welcome. The OP also admitted that if the subway guy would have asked him to leave, he would have left. The op claims that he was never asked to leave which seems a little odd as the subway guy called the cops. I can't imagine the subway guy NOT saying, "Hey, cover that thing or leave, otherwise I'm going to call the cops", but like others have said, I wasn't there.
    The fact that he remained there even though he knew he wasn't welcome, supposedly because the subway guy didn't formally/officially ask him to leave was where this went off track.

    A couple of other points:
    This is a site dedicated to carrying firearms for self defense. Most of the sheep in the world would consider most of us to be "Gun Nuts". The fact that half the "Gun Nuts" here think he did something rude or stupid speaks volumes about his actions.

    I personally feel that private property rights trump 2a rights. If I owned a subway franchise or any other fast food franchise and felt that I was losing customers because people were open carrying in my store, I have every right to ask them to cover up or leave. My right to sell as many 5 dollar footlongs to as many sheep as possible trumps your right to make a 2a political statement in my store.
    Last edited by Rotorblade; July 4th, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

  12. #71
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    When the subway guy first talked to the OP about open display of his firearm it was clear to the OP that open carry in that particular subway, at that particular time was not welcome. The OP also admitted that if the subway guy would have asked him to leave, he would have left. The op claims that he was never asked to leave which seems a little odd as the subway guy called the cops. I can't imagine the subway guy NOT saying, "Hey, cover that thing or leave, otherwise I'm going to call the cops", but like others have said, I wasn't there.
    The fact that he remained there even though he knew he wasn't welcome, supposedly because the subway guy didn't formally/officially ask him to leave was where this went off track.

    A couple of other points:
    This is a site dedicated to carrying firearms for self defense. Most of the sheep in the world would consider most of us to be "Gun Nuts". The fact that half the "Gun Nuts" here think he did something rude or stupid speaks volumes about his actions.

    I personally feel that private property rights trump 2a rights. If I owned a subway franchise or any other fast food franchise and felt that I was losing customers because people were open carrying in my store, I have every right to ask them to cover up or leave. My right to sell as many 5" footlongs to as many sheep as possible trumps your right to make a 2a political statement in my store.
    Its pretty simple when you think thru it...Good post..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  13. #72
    Distinguished Member
    Array oldnfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,250
    OK. You have stated that you have learned much from this forum, and you obviously value the info found here. Now you should realize that this situation should have been handled differently. Go forth and remember what was said about this, and consider your actions in the future. I do hope should a threat ever arise you show restraint and act appropriately. Your avatar does convey your attitude. JMHO

  14. #73
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Just because its "not fair " doesn't mean that isn't the way things are. Sorry, things "aren't fair" to gun owners. I'm not anti-OC like alot of folks here. I USED to OC, keywords: Used to. I stopped for a variety of reasons. I saw friends and folks I know illegally or wrongfully charged, arrested or generally harassed. I don't like it, I don't agree with it, I don't think its right. RIGHT OR WRONG, LIKE IT OR HATE IT, it IS the world we are living in.

    The anti-gun crowd ignores things like common sense. They ignore things like the frequency of shootings and assualts in "gunfree zones",...They are usually emotionally based, "feel good" types. I've had discussions with them, and watched and listened as they ignore cited and reliably sourced facts. Antis and sheeple are a whole 'nother can of worms. Moving on,...

    I see some people almost blaming you for the confrontation while you seem to maintain you were only "minding your business". Sorry, when you strap a visible firearm on you, go out in the "sheep populated" general public, and then visibly read a magazine ABOUT GUNS, somebody might notice (the employee.). Being courteous goes along way.

    Just because your "within your rights" doesn't mean you've passed the common-sense test.

    Clearly the employee would not have approached you if he was not uncomfortable in the first place. By being self-righteous and rude you just confirmed in his mind that guns/gunowners are "bad". Maybe if you were polite he would have changed his mindset; Probable not, but maybe.

    You said your "not a people person". If thats the case, OC is probable not a good idea for you personally. When I OC, I had people that were pro, anti, and "neutral" come up and spark conversations about my sidearm, firearm laws,..etc. its inevitable,... If you are not social and polite no good can come out of the situation not only for the gun community, but maybe for you personally(Like somebody calling the cops on you, ahem.).

    I tended to adopt the gray-man approach too. Its just not worth the hassle and no good usually comes out of it. It pains me to "say that". But reality hurts. See if there is a pro-gun advocacy group in your state/area that lobbies the local government for pro-gun laws,get active and involved with them if you want to fight for your rights,... We have the VCDL here, and they have done alot of good for the pro 2a folks in the state of Virginia.

    You came out "OKAY". Great! Live and learn. Realize you should have acted different. And move on. Be more careful/cautious and courteous in the future.


    I'm not trying to "offend you" or "get a rise" from you. You asked for opinions. Heres mine.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  15. #74
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    agreed.i am not a people person and i tend not to get the feelings and opinion of other people who are biased.i was there to eat. not fight about my rights against others that had no clue about anything but how to make a sandwhich.i have talked to the manager at that subway and she is in agreence with me. had a talk with the subway employee and has informed the staff more about these rights.if they arent causing any problems then leave them alone.
    I'll agree. You're not a people person.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  16. #75
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 35,670'
    Posts
    11,620
    There is an old saying that has an astounding amount of merit in the situation. Choose your battles wisely. There are sound reasons to act in certain fashions, and behave in certain manners, and when one pushes outside of those boundaries, one might in fact be choosing a battle, knowingly or not. The behavior thereafter will dictate the outcome of that battle, more battles, and possibly the war. Choose your battles wisely.

    "Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone." Pyrrhus
    I both open carry and concealed carry, so don't try to hoist me on that petard. I also live in a rural area in a state that has had OC state-wide for many years.

    Frankly, I am surprised this thread is still open.
    So am I, so let's keep it civil.

    By the way, methinks you are wasting public resources (LEO time) if you continue acting in such fashions. That is selfish IMHO.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 4th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Richard

    NRA Life Member

    "But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

    "You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

    "Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

concealed carry class red lion longview wa
,

concealed carry longview wa

,
concelled carry gun safety classes in longview wa
,

longview wa kkk

,

longview wa, and the kkk

,

longview, wa. firearm laws

,

officer tim gosh

,

officer tim gosh longview,wa

,

open carry in longview wa

,
subway franchise owner longview wa
,

tim gosh washington

,
why did power go out in longview wa today
Click on a term to search for related topics.