longview wa, my first run in with the law - Page 7

longview wa, my first run in with the law

This is a discussion on longview wa, my first run in with the law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I open carry in the woods but not out in public. The crap that goes along with it isn't worth my time. I much prefer ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: longview wa, my first run in with the law

I open carry in the woods but not out in public. The crap that goes along with it isn't worth my time. I much prefer to use my time do things I enjoy. If it were me I would of told them I have a CPL and left. I can chose where I spend my money too. I kinda of like the theory "Just because I can doesn't make it smart".

Quote Originally Posted by brazildsm View Post
    why do i carry a firearm?few reasons. reason number one. i have a beautiful 5 year old daughter to come home to and to provide for everyday. that child is my whole life.i have given up many things to accomadate my childs needs. second reason is because of all the drug activity that goes on around my area.all the news about drug addicts killing for their fix, robbing people just to get their fix and when they get caught (if they get caught) all they get is a small amount of jail time then they are back on the streets doin it again.i will not be a victim of any of those petty rediculous crimes and i will not let some piece of **** tweaker subject my daughter to that kind of nonsense.third reason, i live in an area where people of color are not very welcomed. i have lived it.i normally avoid them and walk on egg shells to not piss them off with my presence and i am tired of that crap.i have had teachers, when i was in high school call me vulgar names and people on the street do the same.and i am tired of it.this town use to be a huge KKK supporting town and i know of a few that still do.
    so you ask why i carry a firearm?the most basic reason is for protection.not just for my self but my family.look i have no problem fighting with my 2 hands but if the fight gets one sided, wether its due to the opponent having a weapon all of the sudden or their are more than one perp, i have no problem making sure that i get home to my daughter (my whole world) even if i have to use all 32 rounds that i carry as part my daily routine. thank you for your time and opinion.i do value every opinion even if i see them to be negative.thank you.
    Im not sure what color you are, and to be honest it doesnt matter to me. You have chosen to protect you and yours, thats good. Now, you said you had issues in your town with people not liking you because of your color, do not give them something else to hate you for. Be the grey man. Keep your head on a swivel and be prepared for anything. I understand what you are going thru. Others in the world have had similar events happen to them. You can rise above it, or let it make you bitter. This would be my advise to you, if you were standing here face to face....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

93 posts...amazing.

ya i do my best to be courteous to the people that i live with everyday.lots of people around here ya know "ARE SET IN THEIR WAYS"i hear what you are saying but i dont walk on egg shells. i mind my own and thats all i would ever expect from anyone else.again thank you for your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Im not sure what color you are, and to be honest it doesnt matter to me. You have chosen to protect you and yours, thats good. Now, you said you had issues in your town with people not liking you because of your color, do not give them something else to hate you for. Be the grey man. Keep your head on a swivel and be prepared for anything. I understand what you are going thru. Others in the world have had similar events happen to them. You can rise above it, or let it make you bitter. This would be my advise to you, if you were standing here face to face....

yes 93 and counting.lots of opinionated people.trying to soak it all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    93 posts...amazing.

VIP Member
    Did we get to the part yet where CC and polite usually works out better than OC and uncooperative? Where's the poll?

BTW, nice avatar.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    OK OP, I'm going to change to a different tack. I'm making a 180 degree turn so stay with me. You spoke of having the Subway employee "violate you rights" by asking you questions and to cover up, right? You spoke of "standing up for your rights", correct?

What I want to tell you is that the United States Constitution does not restrict the people in any way. The Constitution only restricts the Federal Government. The Subway employee cannot possibly have infringed on your rights because it is not possible for him/her to do so. He/She was and is part of "The People" just as you are part of "The People". To stand up "for your rights" with another of "The People" is to pick a fight with ourselves. We cannot stand against our enemies if we fight ourselves.

I hope you understand all that.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Yes completely understood.still not walking on egg shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK OP, I'm going to change to a different tack. I'm making a 180 degree turn so stay with me. You spoke of having the Subway employee "violate you rights" by asking you questions and to cover up, right? You spoke of "standing up for your rights", correct?

What I want to tell you is that the United States Constitution does not restrict the people in any way. The Constitution only restricts the Federal Government. The Subway employee cannot possibly have infringed on your rights because it is not possible for him/her to do so. He/She was and is part of "The People" just as you are part of "The People". To stand up "for your rights" with another of "The People" is to pick a fight with ourselves. We cannot stand against our enemies if we fight ourselves.

I hope you understand all that.

VIP Member
    Yes completely understood.still not walking on egg shells.
    So be it.

In this life and the next we will all reap what we sow. I wish you all the best.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'll sound off here.

Don't walk on eggshells, but being polite, courtious, and respectful dosn't mean tip-toeing on eggshells either. Standing your ground and steadfastly adhearing to what you believe is right isn't only good, but necessary.

However, there are consequences involved in every action, good or bad. With bluntness and course feelings you may very well have polorized the Subway kid and the officer, have a "no guns in here' sign posted, and affect the outcome of other OC incounters this officer has in the future. (Most cops have pretty bad days as well..... )

It was a long day, you were tired and didn't wanna be messed with.......... man, I get it! Most of us do. However, open carrying a sidearm will get attention from the 'strights' (Bill Murry reference, couldn't help it) and being negitive or confrontational (real or precieved) will not be recieved well....... even if you are completly in the right......... I think you were in the right.

Being 'nice' and neighborly dosn't (or shouldn't) mean walking on eggshells or rocking the boat...... or giving-in to anything. Nobody should compromise themselves just because it's PC, but being nice(er) goes further than not.
    Bubbiesdad and Pistology like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

to start out i did not have attitude one bit.but after i told the employee no i was not a cop and no i wouldnt do what he said, he just got a shitty look on his face when he said he was goin to get " a higher power" to come deal with me.i shouldnt have been approached in the first place. i was minding my business, goin about my day.here in sw WA there are quite a few people that open carry, and i havent seen or heard of any issues.as far as the attitude.tired as hell, long day at work, and i was just wanting some dinner and to go home. so because people were not aware of the laws and rights i should be uneasy and understanding, when they dont know their rights and mine? shoot at the same time that the officer was talkin to me a mother of 3 with her 3 kids walked in saw the officer talkin to me and went about her day. didnt evern bother to act afraid or scared.her and the kids sat at the table directly in front of me and had their dinner. im not goin to be hiding my firearm and walk on egg shells just because people dont know the laws and are afraid for no reason. but thank you for your opinion. i most definately respect that.
    people being comfortable is not my problem and not my every day goal.like i said, i was just minding my own business, goin about my day. trying to get some dinner.
    I'm waiting for someone to comment on the use of punctuation and capital letters.

Other wise, he did have an attitude, was probably looking for a chance to stand up for his rights, and then complained that he got the chance.
    i was ready for all different types of response. i was expecting people with more experience,older people to tell me what i did and didnt do wrong. and yes no one was there.there for they dont know about the attitude situation. like i said long day at work, tired as hell, the gun goes everywhere i go (unless its posted other wise). thank you for your response and opinion.
    well i stood my ground, left a few people more informed. and as far as attitude, there was no attitude. even after having the cops show up and try to tell me to leave when i havent done anything wrong. thank you for your opinion.
    well if knowing your rights and excersizing them is an issue then yes i am at fault.i just merely informed both the LEO and the subway employee that i was not breaking any laws and that this approach was not necessary.i tried many times to just go back about my business and they just kept proding.so i did try to avoid the argument and they didnt.so LEO ended up with no arrest and the subway employee ended up with an appology from me for causing the fuss, and then i also told them that they need to be more informed before they make such judgement and approach some one.thank you for your response and opinion.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I miss the days when the anti-OC bigots couldn't come on this part of the site and say stupid things like "You should have just covered it up." Or "This is why concealed carry is the best way to go." Those of us who OC do not go on the rest of the site and butt into every one of your threads and suggest that it would always be better to Open Carry so why do you people feel it necessary to interject your opinion on our mode of carry every damn time on the OC board? And it's nearly always done with this smarmy condescending attitude like you are trying to educate a child. I'm really sick of those of you who do this and truth be told, it's one of the reasons I don't spend as much time here as I used to.

And you know what, the OP makes a good point. He posted his experience here in hopes of getting constructive criticism and possibly some advice on what he could have done differently. NOT to get told by a bunch of OC bigots who come to this portion of the site just to try to start crap with those of us who OC.

As I have said before and I will continue to say, those of you who are anti-OC but who CC are at least in part espousing the anti-gun/anti-carry position of the Brandy Campaign. We all carry for our safety and the safety of our loved ones. But, you feel the need to try to trash those of us who OC, a LEGAL form of carry in many states. We, the OC crowd do not talk crap about those of you who CC exclusively. I am all for everyone carrying. Concealed or open, what ever is legal in your state and whatever you are most comfortable with. If you carry concealed and are rabidly against OC you are partly anti-carry. Simple as that.

I hate to say it but, since Bumper sold the site and a few tweaks of the rules were made, the no OC/CC debate being chief among them, this site looks a little too much like Packing.org sometimes.

I'm actually sorry that I am somewhat responsible for the OC section being created by Bumper. Don't believe me? Ask SIXTO or JD.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I do hope should a threat ever arise you show restraint and act appropriately.
    Make up your mind.
    maybe you havent been to a subway lately, but the food is made directly in front of you. but ya that was messed up in that movie.
    "In sight, it must be right". Applies to food and to carrying.
    Many respectable replies to the OP, and the OP has put a lot of thought into his actions.
    He didn't cover up after the employee told him that he's bringing an authority because that would admit that he was wrong, had to alter his behavior before the authority arrived, then have to go through the CPL routine with a cop with an anti attitude.
    The bottom line is that the Subway manager educated her staff.
    A cop is on notice to stay in line with the limits of his authority.
    The OP got dinner with his girlfriend and went home.
    Different strokes. And all's well that ends well.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Glad it turned out well for you this time.OC may be legal,and you may have been right,but it attracts alot of unwanted attention. Remember,there are scores of people who were right,who didn't do anything illegal,who wind up in jail. And yes they might finally prevail in court after they have spent their life savings to pay an attorney to defend them from some trumped up charge. In general IMHO,its not wise to put yourself on the radar and make yourself a target. There are times when being right is just not enough. How many cases of innocent people going to prison for years have you heard about? Its not right,but it happens.

VIP Member
    Black letter law turns all shades of grey in court, or red on the street. That's something the invisible man doesn't worry about as he OC's at the rodeo or CC's at the opera. While it's legal, you have the choice. Courteousness and common sense don't diminish your ability to defend yourself.

Why, I occasionally OC, too...until my bride says "Your gun is showing!"

From a practical point, OC is faster than CC, it may be a deterrent, it may be a target, and it gives up the tactical element of surprise. In some venues, one may be better than another. Nevertheless, IMO, cheerfulness, helpfulness, and politeness are mandatory in the presence of another human being. But don't shoot back; shoot first.
    GeorgiaDawg and atctimmy like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links